10 Gal Long JBJ

MZ18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been out of the hobby for a few years and excited to get into it again with this nano. Still waiting to go coral shopping..

I like the sleek look of the JBJ and the Current USA paired together.

Still pondering on a good powerhead for this tank shape...

DSC_0378.jpg

OP
OP
M

MZ18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea, I battled with the amount of rock work but looks better in person, and hopefully even better when covered by more attractive sea life...can always take some out later I guess :)

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank looks great and welcome to R2R!

flchamp89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed there's been a trend towards less rock. I think the amount of rock you have looks great. I also wanted as much as I could get in my tanks.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed there's been a trend towards less rock. I think the amount of rock you have looks great. I also wanted as much as I could get in my tanks.

A coral propagator who has a very good reputation locally spoke at our reef club this year and he said he no longer uses rock in his filtration. Instead he uses marine pure blocks. His logic is that rock are detritus traps and that over time will get clogged and lose their efficiency. He can replace the marine pure blocks as needed much easier.

So ponder that fwiw with the less rock is better school of thought.

Empty space can be very dramatic

OP
OP
M

MZ18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put some Marinepure Gems in the sump as well so I'm sure I have an overkill when it comes to available space for bacteria.

The clown loves to swim up and around the rockwork and through the caves. It's fun for her and fun to watch. I actually tried to re-arrange it at one point and she kept bitting me so bad I had to give up.

Good point though about the potential detritus trap.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coral propagator who has a very good reputation locally spoke at our reef club this year and he said he no longer uses rock in his filtration. Instead he uses marine pure blocks. His logic is that rock are detritus traps and that over time will get clogged and lose their efficiency. He can replace the marine pure blocks as needed much easier.

So ponder that fwiw with the less rock is better school of thought.

Empty space can be very dramatic

I dont agree that less rock is a "better school of thought". While the age ol recommendation of 2lbs per gallon is probably overkill, I believe having a good amount of LR is the foundation of a solid system. I'm not saying those blocks wont do the job, but to me it can't replace LR just augment it. I'm not a "well known coral propagator" either, so take my opinion as you will lol.

OP. I think your tank looks great! Love the layout of the aquascape and it doesn't look like there is too much rock at all.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 167 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back