10G fish suggestion

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I'm looking for a unique and colorful fish for my 10 gallon IM Nuvo. I have clowns in my other nano cube, so I'm looking for something different. I really only want one fish in this tank so that there isn't too much CO2 in the water. I'm planning on doing an Acropora dominant system with mixed LPS at the bottom of the tank.

So far I've considered a Royal Gramma, a small wrasse (I saw Lubbock Wrasse mentioned in another thread), pygmy angel (I think my tank is too small for one of these), shrimp goby, Swiss guard basslet, and firefish.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated, especially regarding which wrasses (if any) will stay small enough to be happy in this tank size.

Katie M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lubbock Wrasse and pygmy angel wouldn't be good fits for a 10 gallon. A possum wrasse would most definitely work as would a tailspot blenny, green banded gobies, neon gobies, pygmy hawkfish (not really a hawkfish), firefish, or blue stripe pipefish (would just need to make sure dietary requirements are met). Lots of options available :)

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flaming Prawn Goby, Discordipinna griessingeri. If I am going to have a 10 gal reef, this is the fish I am going to keep in it.
upload_2017-1-2_9-54-16-png.451801

OP
OP
Strad12

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that prawn goby is awesome! I just did some reading and it sounds like they can be kept in groups. Is it worth getting a couple of them? I know they're prone to hiding.

Are there any fairy wrasses that could work in a tank this small? Would having high flow make a difference?

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend a fairy wrasse because they are very active requiring multiple feedings, add to that their size and they are simply too much bio in a 10gal, especially an acropora dominant system. There are other smaller wrasses which are good options. I think a royal gramma would be a good alternative to a wrasse as they are far less active.

OP
OP
Strad12

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the suggestions! Right now I'm leaning towards the flaming prawn goby and maybe one other small fish. Would I be able to keep a Royal Gramma with a prawn goby or two? Would I have to worry about aggression from a Gramma towards bottom-dwelling gobies?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cannot find the Flaming Prawn Goby, consider getting a pair of Yasha Shrimp gobies with their shrimp pair also. All four would make perfect complimentary animals in a 10 gal reef tank. Very interesting foursome.
I am on my phone so cannot attach pictures easy. You should look them up online.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I consider the royal gramma a good fit because it gets big enough to support the nutrient demand of a full sps system. You can also get one small enough to fit the nascent system and let it grow to full size as the system matures. Regarding adding more fish it is risky bit certainly doable. What I would do is add the Goby and then in 6 months or so add the gramma. There are certainly other ways than fish to add interest and bioload so starting with a Goby is a solid plan.

OP
OP
Strad12

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the consensus on captive-bred Mandarin Dragonets? I remember a few years ago they were considered impossible in a nano (and extremely difficult in larger tanks), but if one would eat frozen, would the care requirements be any different? I know their metabolisms are very fast, so would they need multiple feedings of frozen every day?

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the consensus on captive-bred Mandarin Dragonets? I remember a few years ago they were considered impossible in a nano (and extremely difficult in larger tanks), but if one would eat frozen, would the care requirements be any different? I know their metabolisms are very fast, so would they need multiple feedings of frozen every day?
Look up PaulB's dragonet feeder, but if the fish is eating pellets and frozen, you can probably keep it. I would supplement highly with BBS in the dragonet feeder every morning, and feed. And feed some more once you got back home.

It's definitely possible. I've done it, and then the dragonet died on me for non-food related issues (stomach was not sunken in). I would recommend using some sort of decorative macroalgae to help with the phosphates and nitrates though.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with an ORA captive bred Mandarin; that would be perfect to keep alone in a 10 gallon. They are reportedly easy to feed as they are conditioned to eat frozen food.

OP
OP
Strad12

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone on R2R successfully keeping a Mandarin in a nano tank? I would love to keep one, but I want to make sure it's going to do well in a small system.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springers dottyback is my first choice for a 10 gallon

OP
OP
Strad12

Strad12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springer's dottyback looks like an awesome fish! Are you sure that they'll do well in a tank this small? The ORA site says they're active swimmers. What do you think of the black neon dotty back? It's supposed to be a hybrid of the Springer's and neon dotty back.

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone on R2R successfully keeping a Mandarin in a nano tank? I would love to keep one, but I want to make sure it's going to do well in a small system.
I am currently not keeping one, but a ORA captive bred Mandarin will do fine by itself in a small tank, as it will not require a population of copepods for its food source. I contacted ORA about their Mandarins, and they guarantee that they will eat frozen food and pellets.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a captive bred ORA mandy, at first it didnt eat frozen except ova because it was so small... even crushed pellets it ignored. It now eats most things but it still needs frequent feedings because their digestive tract is small. It is not a good mix with a small acro tank due to how much food they require as they grow. It's just messy and I have to cut flow off for very long periods as they eat slow.

Back