OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jan always looks grumpy..

So I bit the bullet and purchased the door buster from BRS. I got the 250 gyre and controller and purchased the extra pump. :) Super excited to get these in the mail early next week!!

MVIMG_20181114_165101.jpg

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is a list of the corals i bought...

Jason Fox Bi-Polar Favites.jpg

Jason Fox Bi-Polar Favites

Jason Fox Hi-Voltage Platygyra.jpg

Jason Fox Hi-Voltage Platygyra

Jason Fox Limelight Hydnophora.jpg

Jason Fox Limelight Hydnophora

WWC Blue Pulsing Xenia.jpg

WWC Blue Pulsing Xenia

WWC Cyphastrea.jpg

WWC Cyphastrea

WWC Grafted Sunfire Montipora.jpg

WWC Grafted Sunfire Montipora

WWC Neon Green Micromussa Lord.jpg

WWC Neon Green Micromussa Lord

WWC Ultra Orange Ricordea Florida Mushroom.jpg

WWC Ultra Orange Ricordea Florida Mushroom

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O
The platagera and the hydno have some really impressive sweeper tentacles. Make sure they have a good 4 to 6" between them and anything else.
[emoji846]

All of them look beautiful!

Yeah that's what I read, nothing is anywhere near each other though :)

Thanks!

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got my Gyre's in yesterday.. Holy crap do they have some power. I didn't think things all the way through, since i don't have equal work space of both of the sides of my tank (Since the overflow is on the left side) I don't have enough room to mount both Gyre's across from eachother. the pump is a little under 12 inches while i only have about 9 inches of usable glass :(

I improvised by mounting the one on that side vertically, while the opposite wall has it mounted horizontally. I need to watch a few more videos on ideal programming, currently i have them running in pulse, the vertical one is running from 0 to 20 blowing against the front of the tank. It's in the upper half of the tank where the higher flow corals are while not blasting them directly of course ;)

The horizontal pump i have running in a reverse Gyre from -20 to 0. It seems to create a lot calmer flow on the sand bed where i currently have my GSP, Favites, Pulsing Xenia, Hammer, and Zoa's. It starts off stronger directly under the pump, and gradually gets smoother as you get to the vertically mounted pump. I will have to post a picture when i get home. I LOVE the control ability of DC pumps. being able to hit 1 button to start a feeding timer is such a welcome addition.

I do feel bad though, One (sometimes both) of my clowns don't like to sleep in the rock at night, so every morning i go out to find them kind of floating at the top, which worried me a lot at first I thought they were dead the first morning, They just aren't morning fish and thats where they sleep, but now the flow is a lot stronger up top so they are kind of getting blown around while they try to sleep or it takes more effort for them to try and get out of the flow.

Is it normal for clowns not to sleep in rock work?

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So tonight laying in bed, I bit another bullet. I ordered the Apexel from BRS for their door buster 10% off. This 1200 dollar tank has quickyq gone above and beyond that. Seeing as how the only thing I have that it came with besides the tank and stand is the return pump, and the skimmer. But that's fine I guess...? I ended up getting the El, two heaters (I'm going to try and go from 2 125W to 2 150W eheim.) And the polyp lens for my phone to take some better pictures, all for around 450 after discounts nand BRS points! Ill probably end up getting another powerpstrip from apex? With 8 off the top of my head, lights will go in, which leaves 6. Gyre controller and RP will leave 4 heaters leaves 2. Then probably the skimmer and ATO? I feel like that would be decent.

It would leave my reactor, reef link, fuge light, heater in ATO container, that's all that really comes to mind right now. It will be here a week from tomorrow! I can already tell this would have been easier to get up from the start.

threw some chaeto in the fuge area today and turned on the light for tonight, also used my Hannah checker to see currently .2 of my alkalinity is being used a day, so I dossed some kalkwasser into my ATO.

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in a higher flow higher light area that's when it started to not look too hot. So I moved it Saturday and still seemed to be doing not good. Everything else seems to be doing fine. Alk is right around 9 depending on when I test. Salinity is 1.024.

I haven't been testing calcium or phosphate.
I dose kalkwasser in my ATO

Screenshot_20181126-221633.png

OP
OP
Nick C

Nick C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hadn't really tested nitrates for a while, but just tested and it was undetectable.. stupid API test kits. I'm sure it's low, but not 0. I focus pretty hard on not over feeding the fish. Alternating between pellets, and frozen reef frenzy. And I throw a little bit of nori in everyday for the tangs to graze on. (I tried some chaeto and they don't seem to want it..? Maybe because it was new?) I use 5 scoops of reef chili everyother day.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back