120 g stock help

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
Looking to see what else I can (eventually) add to my tank!
I have a 2’x2’x4’ 120 g mixed reef.

Current inhabitants:
Purple Tang
Scopas Tang
Pair of Clowns
Banggai Cardinal
Gold Head Sleeper Goby

Some possibthat have peaked my interest:
Blue Throat Trigger
Copperband Butterfly
Coral Beauty Angel
Foxface Lo
Royal Gramma

What can I keep happily in a 4’ 120g tank, with corals, and my tangs (who can be jerks by nature)? Open to other suggestions for cool and colorful fish as well!

80FBC622-32D7-48B8-B16A-4AE33DFDDAC7.jpeg

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are very territorial and ideally should be added last. Unfortunately the 2 existing tangs (both of which tend to be more aggressive tang species) are going to make it very difficult trying add anything new esp all the fish on the list except for the gramma. If u do decide to try, I'd highly recommend using an acclimation box or else be prepared to go fishing.

OP
OP
fox0521

fox0521

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are very territorial and ideally should be added last. Unfortunately the 2 existing tangs (both of which tend to be more aggressive tang species) are going to make it very difficult trying add anything new esp all the fish on the list except for the gramma. If u do decide to try, I'd highly recommend using an acclimation box or else be prepared to go fishing.
I like the Blue Throat Trigger and the Coral Beauty Angel. Both great fish

Hmmm. Okay. I would definitely use an acclimation box and I would be willing to consider moving at least the scopas tang to a separate QT style tank (after QTing the new fish) to help with possible aggression if that makes any difference. The scopas is super easy to catch with a jar, some fishing line, and a bit of food (he’s a pig). the purple tang shows interest in the jar as well, but the scopas claims it as his own. I could catch the purple in a similar fashion once the scopas is out. So I would place a divider in a 20 g tank, keep the two tangs there, and reintroduce both tangs once the other fish have/has settled, maybe a week later?

so let’s assume I remove the tangs, use an acclimation box, and even place a mirror in a corner of the tank (if necessary) to introduce new fish. Any other concerns with mixing any of these fish? In my head, I’m thinking all of the listed fish except I would only choose either the trigger OR the foxface. Over time, of course. Thoughts on mix and tank size? I would be looking at the gramma and angel next (together), then the copperband, and a juvenile blue throat or foxface last. Thanks!

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if u plan to remove all tangs to reintroduce them later, then I'd recommend re-aquascaping the rocks so the pre-existing tangs believe they are in a completely new environment to prevent any territory claim. IMO, that's a lot of bioload (large fish) for a 120 but as long as livestock are well fed & ur filtration system is up to par (i.e. good tank husbandry), it should be doable.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 114 58.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.8%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.6%
Back