125 gallon FOWLR stocking

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of my favorite stocking lists ever. Superb fish!

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Worth every penny though.

RvfLRD4IPzNAt33WXwTlQtx6NptxMeGBq8QVH2F3_SyDn72rRPW98b-74XQnLQofslee2JxiaHOf8XbuT-QA3wZNKrRY3DWrZg=w5000-h5000
RvfLRD4IPzNAt33WXwTlQtx6NptxMeGBq8QVH2F3_SyDn72rRPW98b-74XQnLQofslee2JxiaHOf8XbuT-QA3wZNKrRY3DWrZg=w5000-h5000

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking. Things are going well. Dino bloom is over. GHA bloom is over. Cyano bloom over - used to just cover sand, but the sandsifting goby has kept the sand stirred up, so it is looking clean. The lawnmower blenny decimated all my GHA. Things are looking good.

I think I am done stocking. Here is what I currently have:

2 Tinkeri butterflyfish
2 Semilarvatus butterflyfish
1 Moorish idol
1 Regal angel
1 Interrupta angel
1 Goldflake angel
3 Bimaculatus anthias
1 Borbonius anthias
1 Fathead sunburst anthias
1 Blue hippo tang
1 Dogface puffer
1 Goldhead sleeper goby
1 Lawnmower blenny
1 Bluestreak cleaner wrasse

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that an interruptus angel in there?

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are all the fish getting along now? Moorish Idol still doing well? Interuptus angel still causing havoc?

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going well. The Interruptus is a bully and chases mainly the goldflake, but never nips, just chases. Had a few random deaths ( Moorish idol and semilarvatus) at different times. Each happened after owning them for over one year mark. No apparent ailments, all fish were qted, eating great, swimming normally, then suddenly found dead. No other fish had any issues at either of the times.

The replacement Moorish idol is a piggie and eats everything except live blackworms. Go figure.

Bruce17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are going well. The Interruptus is a bully and chases mainly the goldflake, but never nips, just chases. Had a few random deaths ( Moorish idol and semilarvatus) at different times. Each happened after owning them for over one year mark. No apparent ailments, all fish were qted, eating great, swimming normally, then suddenly found dead. No other fish had any issues at either of the times.

The replacement Moorish idol is a piggie and eats everything except live blackworms. Go figure.
Sorry for your lost. I’m happy to hear that the new moorish idol is doing well. I always wanted one but keep hearing that they’re hard to keep
I put up a post today on the fish I would like for my 205 gallon tank however no one has responded. Not sure if that’s bad thing or not. I want some really nice , some e pensive however I want them to all get along as much as possible and not be overstocked. I also want to get as many of them on the list as captive bred if possible.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you keep nutrients under control with so many large fish? I have a slightly larger tank than you, and something like your stocklist is an eventual goal, but I struggle with algae with only 2 juvenile angels (emperor, regal).

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank? I started with dry rock and dry sand and went through dinos, cyano, and GHA. It eventually stabilized over time. I have a skimmer and algae scrubber, but don't pull that much skimmate and only clean the scrubber once a month or so and it's not that full. I do a wc once every 2-3 weeks. I honestly do not even know the nutrient levels in the tank since I have no reason to measure them. Turbo snails, a lawnmower blenny, and a sleeper goby seem to keep the algae at bay.

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for asking. Things are going well. Dino bloom is over. GHA bloom is over. Cyano bloom over - used to just cover sand, but the sandsifting goby has kept the sand stirred up, so it is looking clean. The lawnmower blenny decimated all my GHA. Things are looking good.

I think I am done stocking. Here is what I currently have:

2 Tinkeri butterflyfish
2 Semilarvatus butterflyfish
1 Moorish idol
1 Regal angel
1 Interrupta angel
1 Goldflake angel
3 Bimaculatus anthias
1 Borbonius anthias
1 Fathead sunburst anthias
1 Blue hippo tang
1 Dogface puffer
1 Goldhead sleeper goby
1 Lawnmower blenny
1 Bluestreak cleaner wrasse

What happened to the cowfish you originally had? I'm starting up a 120g and planning 9n the first guy in being a Cowfish. I've been reading tons of information and this post is super informative for good potential tank mates.

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately he had a sudden death. I had him for about a year and he was doing fine and eating fine, then just suddenly died one day.

OP
OP
puffy127

puffy127

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates:

Added a venustus angel about 6 months ago. I was worried about the interrupta bullying him, but he's doing okay.

Finally got up to 5 bimaculatus anthias. They don't really school:

Added a pair of true falcula butterflyfish:

Then added a 2nd moorish idol. It's been a few days and no aggression so far. Crossing my fingers:

Some FTS:

ohiohamfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This 125 gallon tank is in addition to my 75 gallon mixed reef tank, so I didn't technically "upgrade" it.
is this tank from PetSmart? Or could you provide more info on it/the build? Basically want the exact same thing, it looks wonderful!,

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back