OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They got my interest! I ordered a couple pair of them. Thanks for making these. They look great!

I have a couple of your flow kits too and didnt even realize!
Awesome - Since those are on our early "Early access" list, we generally don't have stock on that product, so it may take a day ro two for them to ship.

But - when you get them, I would be interested to know how they work out or you.

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome - Since those are on our early "Early access" list, we generally don't have stock on that product, so it may take a day ro two for them to ship.

But - when you get them, I would be interested to know how they work out or you.
It's all good. This is for a new system I'm putting together. Thanks again!

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build has really helped me. I just got a 34.5 x 34.5 x 19.5 from innovative marine and I was challenged with lighting and a light rack due to the dimensions and euro brace. Just placed an order with 80/20. Gonna go with a sky unit as well!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build has really helped me. I just got a 34.5 x 34.5 x 19.5 from innovative marine and I was challenged with lighting and a light rack due to the dimensions and euro brace. Just placed an order with 80/20. Gonna go with a sky unit as well!
The light has worked really well - i run it about 14 to 15in off the water, and it spread out nicely.

My only criticism at this point is I would like just a tad bit more shimmer. not much, just a little.

As a single light, it was been amazing for 2 years, but will is time to either add a second SKY or some supplemental lighting to fill in some of the shade being created by coral growth.

20230829_095525.jpg

EDIT: please ignore dirty glass - havent cleaned it for a few days - LOL

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune adds shimmer by making some holes in the diffuser cover. They also sell little inserts if you want to block out that shimmer. Maybe check to see if they sell replacements for that cover. Do a small experiment by adding some more holes. It may give you that extra shimmer that you're looking for and then you can just lower the light a bit to make up for the shading.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neptune adds shimmer by making some holes in the diffuser cover. They also sell little inserts if you want to block out that shimmer. Maybe check to see if they sell replacements for that cover. Do a small experiment by adding some more holes. It may give you that extra shimmer that you're looking for and then you can just lower the light a bit to make up for the shading.
this is the current diffuser that's on the light - its the one that came with it.

It has these little lenses on it, but I'm not sure of that's what's suppose to create shimmer, or if that's for the lunar lights

20230829_100032.jpg

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lenses provide shimmer and can be removed for more shimmer. That's what I saw on a few YouTube videos on the light from BRS and Neptune. They also sell lenses that are diffused to completely take away the shimmer.

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a recent top-down photo showing the scale of that chalice in the back.

That chalice in the back corner is nearly 1/4 of the total tank footprint now. I think I need to find a way to trim that down a bit.

20230817_182830.jpg

as far as I can tell, its not actually encrusted on the the rock but rather just laying over it However it is giving that blue-green acro a big hug, and I'll have to frag the acro to get it out

20230808_160358.jpg

the original frag plug it cam in on was secured to a rock that was not part of the original aqua scape, so it should lift right out.

What do you think - should i take it out, cut off ab out 3 or 4 inches of the out disc and put it back? or is there a better way? Or - should I just leave it along and let it grow as it wants too
Beautiful tones the purples blues greens look just beautiful together.

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another interesting top-down shot. This time it's the back corner of the softie rock.

For me, one of the biggest challenges with a mixed reef is keeping the softies away form the stony corals. They generally dont pay nice.

20230830_153247.jpg

I'm really diggin' the way everytnign is growing together

Duzzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another interesting top-down shot. This time it's the back corner of the softie rock.

For me, one of the biggest challenges with a mixed reef is keeping the softies away form the stony corals. They generally dont pay nice.

20230830_153247.jpg

I'm really diggin' the way everytnign is growing together
Beautiful

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
CHOP CHOP! the Chalice in the back corner was getting out of control - it had grown to reach the back wall side glass and was generally just getting too dominant. So I slice off about 3 or 4 inches off the circumference

20230913_151926.jpg

This is the tool i used - got it off Amazon - it worked pretty good

20230921_164759.jpg

once I cut the part that was wrapped around some other coral and rock, the entire chalice, with its;' base rock came out in one big piece.

20230921_171127.jpg

here is how it looked before, and after it was removed

20230913_151826.jpg 20230921_171135.jpg

This is AFTER removing about 3 to 4 inches off its circumference . Its till pretty bi, but not completely taking over the entire back corner

20230922_093839.jpg

All the frags that where worth saving... Space Invader chalice for days. LOL
20230922_092800.jpg

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mighty fine haircut! lol
thank you - it w3as the first time I personally had to do this sort thing with a chalice of this size. it was definitely a change.

The fact that, les than a week later it already healing up, tells me that I'll likely have to to this ever 4 or 5 months going forward

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just realized you can embed Instagram content - LOL

I post often about this tank and thought I would share a few relatively recent posts that feature the coral growth in this tank.

If you are on IG, you can follow us here:

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light has worked really well - i run it about 14 to 15in off the water, and it spread out nicely.

My only criticism at this point is I would like just a tad bit more shimmer. not much, just a little.

As a single light, it was been amazing for 2 years, but will is time to either add a second SKY or some supplemental lighting to fill in some of the shade being created by coral growth.

20230829_095525.jpg

EDIT: please ignore dirty glass - havent cleaned it for a few days - LOL
Did you ever take PAR measurements? We basically have the same size tank and same light. I also mounted it 14" off the water like you did (a lot was inspired by your build lighting wise). I got a PAR meter today and the most I can get out of it is 275 at 100% dead center I would say half way down in my tank which would be the top of my rock work. Here's a picture for reference. It's a new tank so no coral yet, I got the meter in preparation.

Thanks,

Adam

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-09 at 22.09.58.jpeg

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever take PAR measurements? We basically have the same size tank and same light. I also mounted it 14" off the water like you did (a lot was inspired by your build lighting wise). I got a PAR meter today and the most I can get out of it is 275 at 100% dead center I would say half way down in my tank which would be the top of my rock work. Here's a picture for reference. It's a new tank so no coral yet, I got the meter in preparation.

Thanks,

Adam

WhatsApp Image 2023-11-09 at 22.09.58.jpeg
I did do a par test, and even created a map and everything. I hand wrote the measurements on a printed out photo so the tank, a few weeks after setup.

Unfortunately, I cant seem to find it. I'll look around for it.

But, if I remember correctly, i had similar readings - 275 yo 300 at the top. 200 to 150s mid way down , and 150 to 100 at the sand bed near the middle probably 100-80 in the back corners.

Here are some quick (crappy) photos of the tank this morning - light is currently very blue as it ramps up, but you can see, despite the lowish PAR numbers, coral is growing coral.

20231110_090816.jpg

20231110_090858.jpg 20231110_090848.jpg

One thing I will say - at this point in this tanks life, it does needs more light coverage. The SKY is really good at coverage, but as a single point over the tank all the coral is now grown to face that one light.

it's time to add another one - just been procrastinating it.

EDIT: I like you light bar - once I decide on what the extra light will be (another SKY, or something lese to add to the sky) , I'll need to do something similar.

badIuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really like this tank, thinking about setting up a cube tank with RFG as well. How much distance do I have to keep between the RFGs and the surface or the sand to make sure they won't suck any sand or air?
I want to use four 3/4" RFGs on the bottom of a 90x90x60 cube tank and maybe on the return line. I should be able to somewhat hide the RFGs with rockwork towards the viewing sides. Something like this. The visible sketch in the top view represents rockwork:
1699780473543.png

1699780506216.png

Only thing I am afraid of is the RFGs sucking sand.

Thanks in advance!

OP
OP
Vivid Creative Aquatics

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No feedback on required distance from 3/4" RFG to sand to prevent them from sucking sand? Also from the water surface so they don't suck in air? @Vivid Creative Aquatics
Cheers
Sorry - been super busy.

It would definably be a conserve, but since there are not moving parts in side an RFG, it would be a minor concern. I think the bigger concern would the sand it would blow about. The RFG will randomly redirect the flow in what looks like a pulsing action at about a 30 degree angle from the tip of the RFG. If the RFG in your setup are not pointed upwards at least 30 degrees, then you will se it "sweep": the sand bed a bit and kick it up.

I would set those RFGs in Stand pipes, and try and bring them close to the center of the water column. That will do better in terms of creating movement thoughtout the entire tank.

I also think they will do better with at eat 1 segment of Loc-Line between the Y fitting an the RFG itself. OR, if you use a 3-way PVC Y, then you could use out Multidapter and no extra Loc-line The 3/4in Flow Kit coms with two different Multidpater - on for 3/4in PVC and the other for 1in PVC pipe sockets

1700003299222.png

badIuck

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - been super busy.

It would definably be a conserve, but since there are not moving parts in side an RFG, it would be a minor concern. I think the bigger concern would the sand it would blow about. The RFG will randomly redirect the flow in what looks like a pulsing action at about a 30 degree angle from the tip of the RFG. If the RFG in your setup are not pointed upwards at least 30 degrees, then you will se it "sweep": the sand bed a bit and kick it up.

I would set those RFGs in Stand pipes, and try and bring them close to the center of the water column. That will do better in terms of creating movement thoughtout the entire tank.

I also think they will do better with at eat 1 segment of Loc-Line between the Y fitting an the RFG itself. OR, if you use a 3-way PVC Y, then you could use out Multidapter and no extra Loc-line The 3/4in Flow Kit coms with two different Multidpater - on for 3/4in PVC and the other for 1in PVC pipe sockets

1700003299222.png
Thanks for coming back to me. Of course I would be playing around with Locline segments and angles in order to prevent the actual random stream of waterflow from blowing around my sand. I also get that it won't hurt the RFGs if they suck some sand but I am wondering what a safe distance from the water surface or sandbed is to prevent sucking air or sand at your suggested flow rates for the 3/4 nozzle.

The idea about the positioning of my closed loop outlets stems from inspiration I got from swissreefer on instagram and youtube. I just wanted to add the RFG aspect. Especially so I don't have to use such large outlets to get the water moving.
If it doesn't work out at all I could still reconfigure to standpipes and try to hide those within my rockwork. But I think the flow going from the bottom to the top could work out nicely especially when corals start growing out towards the light.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back