Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_6294.JPG
IMG_6299.JPG

So update.

I picked up a frag of red Goni yesterday! Thought they looked great in the store on the piece it was cut from so i got it.

I also picked up another test kit that will at least help me look at the phosphates and my calcium level. None of my test equipment is lab grade but i at least like a general overview.

Planning on scooping up my last fish maybe two next week hopefully if my LFS gets a shipment in. Haven’t yet trusted online buying..

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting there !!!! Tank looks nice. That red Goni will looks beautiful when it extend. I have a red and a green one and looks awesome.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting there !!!! Tank looks nice. That red Goni will looks beautiful when it extend. I have a red and a green one and looks awesome.

I’ve been watching the piece it was cut from since i got the tank. It looked healthy. I’ve read stuff that say they are pretty hard corals by i was really drawn to it and I’m gonna do my best to keep it happy!

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.
I see you are learning some lessons by experience but don't worry. We all have learned those lessons.

I'm afraid to say that you might soon be in a VERY tough fight with Dinos.
img_5906-jpg.823993

This will be a nightmare and the bane of your tanks existence.

Believe me...
You want to do EVERYTHING you can do to get ahead of this because dinos WILL take over your tank. Dinos can kill corals and inverts. They can release toxins into the water.
Siphon as much of the dinos as you can OUT. Don't try to clean the sand and put it back in. Just siphon as much as possible out and keep doing this.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good.
I see you are learning some lessons by experience but don't worry. We all have learned those lessons.

I'm afraid to say that you might soon be in a VERY tough fight with Dinos.
img_5906-jpg.823993

This will be a nightmare and the bane of your tanks existence.

Believe me...
You want to do EVERYTHING you can do to get ahead of this because dinos WILL take over your tank. Dinos can kill corals and inverts. They can release toxins into the water.
Siphon as much of the dinos as you can OUT. Don't try to clean the sand and put it back in. Just siphon as much as possible out and keep doing this.

Good luck!

I’ve been trying to get it under wraps. I do water changes weekly and the fighting conch has REALLY made a difference but he’s getting overrun again by it I’m certain areas.

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conch will help but believe me...
You want to siphon that dino covered sand OUT the tank. Not just the water but the actual sand that contains the dinos.

Dinos are such a hard pest to beat. If you can get a jump on it, take advantage!

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The conch will help but believe me...
You want to siphon that dino covered sand OUT the tank. Not just the water but the actual sand that contains the dinos.

Dinos are such a hard pest to beat. If you can get a jump on it, take advantage!

I appreciate the heads up!

Kevin L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I have a 14 gal cube that is a few months old, think I am going to start a thread for it as well. Also if you haven't added that last fish yet I really like my yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread! I have a 14 gal cube that is a few months old, think I am going to start a thread for it as well. Also if you haven't added that last fish yet I really like my yellow watchman goby and pistol shrimp.

I love that pair but my girlfriend put her 2 cents in and she likes the red fire fish (The look like a unicorn fish) so I’m gonna try to add 2 or them to make the tank bearable to her [emoji23] significant others see a box of water. “You can’t hold it or pet it you just watch it.” So if i can get her into the hobby some I’m going to

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i broke out the new test kit,

My calcium read roughly 400ppm

My phosphate read 0

My KH read 8dkh 143.2ppm

Gonna be monitoring to see if anything changes because my test kits are far from lab grade but for anyone wondering that’s what i tested.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really excited!!

Today i sat all day on my phone in and out of activities on the top shelf aquatics Labor Day sale!! Let me tell you something, i got some solid pieces. Very happy so far. Gonna get them delivered on Wednesday!!

IMG_6358.JPG
IMG_6359.JPG
IMG_6360.JPG

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Your blunt documentation is cool. You also maintain a sense of humor and excitement! I am looking forward to seeing your tank's progress.

KingReef16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been on the live sale all day. I’ve just read through your thread and now I’m following! It’s nice to watch other people go through a similar journey. Plus, I gotta support a fellow Alabamian ;)

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been on the live sale all day. I’ve just read through your thread and now I’m following! It’s nice to watch other people go through a similar journey. Plus, I gotta support a fellow Alabamian ;)

Awesome! I really appreciate it. I’m originally from north Alabama, now I’m in central Mississippi!

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figured I’d do an update to fight off the sleep while I’m on night shift this week..

So in light of buy the corals from top shelf aquatics that we’re supposed to be delivered days ago there’s some more bad news and good news!

So bad news first.

The corals i bought got left at the store by the fedex driver... facepalm. So after this turn of nightshift i will be getting them on Wednesday and adding them to the tank. TSA said they would be adding some goodies to my shipment to make up for the delay so I’m excited for that.

Other bad news..

I had noticed some stringy poop from one of my clowns the last few weeks here and there well Wednesday night the clown took a turn for what i thought was sudden death.

Clyde was great all day and i had planned on buying a new fish that afternoon from my LFS. Had the new guy all bagged up and ready for pick up then on my way out i noticed Clyde really looking off.

So i sat by the tank and watched and i was horrified.

He was breathing heavy and gasping and i couldn’t see anything visibly wrong. He was lying at the bottom of the tank hardly able to swim so i prepared for the worst..

After about an hour i just wanted to see if it really was gonna be it.. so i decided to feed the tank. Well when i opened the lid he slowly made his way up to see me. I fed Bonnie and tried to keep her away from Clyde while he made an attempt.

Well he ended up eating a few pellets and i was amazed at that point. I had some hope he might make it. After talking with the LFS we had decided it was probably internal parasites brought in on some coral or hitchhikers. If he made it through the night i would go get some medicine called prazipro which might help.

Worried all night i got up the next morning and sure enough he was alive and doing better. Shocked but happy i wasted no time going to get the meds.

Thankfully it’s reef safe. So i made a small solution and mixed it in a cup of water. I used a little under a teaspoon of medicine and dosed the tank after removing my clear fx pro bag.

Boy oh boy what a difference. The fish are doing great now.

After reading forums i decided to actually get them to ingest a small amount of the medicine to really get after the internal parasites. I put maybe 3 drops of medicine into a cup of saltwater and soaked four pellets giving them 2 a piece.

The Smiths look great and Clyde is a new man thankfully.

Now I’m waiting for the medicine to finish it’s cycle on Tuesday and i will do some large water changes the following days along with adding my clear fx pro bag back! The corals will get here the next day just in time and I’ll add them them!

Also looking at getting a new tank mate Wednesday too!

I will update with pictures then!

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that pair but my girlfriend put her 2 cents in and she likes the red fire fish (The look like a unicorn fish) so I’m gonna try to add 2 or them to make the tank bearable to her [emoji23] significant others see a box of water. “You can’t hold it or pet it you just watch it.” So if i can get her into the hobby some I’m going to
I like the firefish also, but you want to be careful adding two in a small tank with few hiding places - in my experience (recognizing there are different opinions), one will dominate the other in time and it may not be pretty, unlike your clowns. May want to consider a small yellow or green clown goby or the yellow prawn goby mentioned above. Good luck.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the firefish also, but you want to be careful adding two in a small tank with few hiding places - in my experience (recognizing there are different opinions), one will dominate the other in time and it may not be pretty, unlike your clowns. May want to consider a small yellow or green clown goby or the yellow prawn goby mentioned above. Good luck.

We actually decided against them and we are gonna go with another 6 line wrasse. She’s like fish that are curious and will swim around and such and i showed her videos of all her choices she liked and that was the fish that didn’t nip at corals and was curious or enjoyed swimming around the tank.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back