OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit off more than i could chew today.. As always with my luck and being a cluts there’s more good and bad news.. i try to be completely real in the thread so others don’t make mistakes and see all the ups and downs..

Good new first is I’m completely bouncing off the walls because my corals from TopShelf Aquatics finally came in. Got everything in the tank!

I also went and picked up a pair of purple firefish.

Now I’ve added all the fish I’m able to add (might be a little crowded) and all the coral I’m gonna add for some time.

Now for the bad news..

While dipping my coral in some CoralRX, i decided to let the two new fish acclimate. So i left the bag in the tank and went on my way.

After dipping and rinsing each coral i would go and add them to the tank with the bag in it acclimating as well.

On my mary little way i heard a thud. Looked back at the tank and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Or so i thought..

While bringing the third out of four corals to the tank i realized that my rock work had completely toppled.

AHHHHH!!!!

*Disclaimer*
For any new reefers. PLEASE. PLEASE. Epoxy or super glue your rock together. Please.

Apparently the bag of fish had shifted and knocked my rocks over.

What. A. Mess. I grabbed the fish bag out, got in the tank as quick as i could and started trying to stack my rocks and arrange them into what i now know to be a very fragile arrangement. After some time and disturbing everything in my tank i got them at least somewhat together and the corals put back into place..

should’ve taken a break.
I went to get the new fish seen about. Started acclimating them.

Opened the bag, poured some water out. Added mine in. Set the bag on the counter and went to go clean up the mess I’d made when the rocks fell and grab another container of water to add to the bag.

Stop there. Yes. I set the bag. On. The. Counter.

Mistake number 1,891.

Splash. All i heard was water pouring on to my floor. I ran into the kitchen. The bag had fallen off the counter. I have no clue how because i thought i took the precaution. I even put a salt shaker in front of it Incase it started to fall. That didn’t work..

1 fish came out so i scooped it back up and put the it back in the bag. I ran over to my closet, got my fish net and scooped them out and set them into the tank..

Maybe i won’t suffer a tank crash from stress. Maybe I’ll end up becoming a better reefer.. very discouraging day after being so excited for new corals..

Will update with pictures depending on who makes it and who doesn’t.. very sad and angry day with myself.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A couple hours after the mishaps i cut the lights back on and saw that the fish were out of their cave and everything looked like it was making a recovery good.
IMG_2423.JPG
IMG_2420.JPG

I also like to take pictures of my corals right when i get them in the tank just to compare when they open up or grow
IMG_2426.JPG

First are some lemon drop palys
IMG_2427.JPG

Next is my gold Indo dragon torch and the small drag of bam bam zoas behind it.
IMG_2429.JPG

Closer picture of the bam bam
IMG_2428.JPG

Last is a Japanese finger leather.

I’m looking forward to seeing them come out and about today and grow!

Also gonna wait a week or so and then epoxy my rock work together.. should’ve done it to begin with. But so far i don’t see any signs of stress illness but it’s pretty early!

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving your tank thread! We are 7 weeks into our Biocube 16 and it’s our first reef tank. I’m really interested to hear how your two fire fish work with your pair of clowns and how the tank handles the bio load. I was under the impression that I couldn’t add any more fish, but would love to get some in there if it’s possible! We have two ORA Gold Dot Clowns, one is about 2” and one is a little over 1”.

Also I love your torches, I just have a frogspawn, but am hoping to get a torch or two as well. The Euphyllia are my favorite corals so far, especially the unique colors.

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. Did your leather shed in one day? I got a cabbage Leather this past Friday and it’s shrunk up and glassy like it’s goi g to shed, but still no real progress there. It’s been worrisome to me because it just looks permanently ticked.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving your tank thread! We are 7 weeks into our Biocube 16 and it’s our first reef tank. I’m really interested to hear how your two fire fish work with your pair of clowns and how the tank handles the bio load. I was under the impression that I couldn’t add any more fish, but would love to get some in there if it’s possible! We have two ORA Gold Dot Clowns, one is about 2” and one is a little over 1”.

Also I love your torches, I just have a frogspawn, but am hoping to get a torch or two as well. The Euphyllia are my favorite corals so far, especially the unique colors.

Thanks for sharing all your experiences. Did your leather shed in one day? I got a cabbage Leather this past Friday and it’s shrunk up and glassy like it’s goi g to shed, but still no real progress there. It’s been worrisome to me because it just looks permanently ******.

Hey! Very sorry I haven’t been updated the thread.. had a couple things go wrong and I got really discouraged and got busy with work and holidays and so forth.. so the firefish didn’t work out.. 1 was bullied to the point of death so I’m left with the three fish.. I have a couple snails and an emerald crab! The leather sheds a lot but I put it in the power heads main area of flow so it stays happy and extended! Before I did that it would stay closed and retracted for a week or so. I have 4 torches now! I love them. The bioload was very very heavy. Almost too much maybe. Three fish have been a very good balance of space for everyone and bioload. I had a huge algae break out afterwards and got cyano but after a long 2-3months I finally got rid of it all. I love the biocube but I am upgrading to a Red Sea reefer 250! Just let me know if you have ANY questions. I’ll be more than happy to help!!

LaraLouM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Very sorry I haven’t been updated the thread.. had a couple things go wrong and I got really discouraged and got busy with work and holidays and so forth.. so the firefish didn’t work out.. 1 was bullied to the point of death so I’m left with the three fish.. I have a couple snails and an emerald crab! The leather sheds a lot but I put it in the power heads main area of flow so it stays happy and extended! Before I did that it would stay closed and retracted for a week or so. I have 4 torches now! I love them. The bioload was very very heavy. Almost too much maybe. Three fish have been a very good balance of space for everyone and bioload. I had a huge algae break out afterwards and got cyano but after a long 2-3months I finally got rid of it all. I love the biocube but I am upgrading to a Red Sea reefer 250! Just let me know if you have ANY questions. I’ll be more than happy to help!!

Yeah I think I may need to adjust the location of my leather, unfortunately I made the idiot decision of flying it down before I knew if it liked the spot ... oops! It gets flow, just not on the main flat part.

Sorry to hear about your fire fish, I may just go with some rock anemones or similar instead of another fish, I am worried about the space.

This me Red Sea yanks are beautiful! I can’t wait to read about it, I’ve seen them in both my LFS’s. I hope it goes well for you with that one.

OP
OP
Mordie101

Mordie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I think I may need to adjust the location of my leather, unfortunately I made the idiot decision of flying it down before I knew if it liked the spot ... oops! It gets flow, just not on the main flat part.

Sorry to hear about your fire fish, I may just go with some rock anemones or similar instead of another fish, I am worried about the space.

This me Red Sea yanks are beautiful! I can’t wait to read about it, I’ve seen them in both my LFS’s. I hope it goes well for you with that one.

If you’re gonna get another get one that doesn’t move too much kinda like a fire fish or watchman goby. They will add a little movement and such and not be too harsh on bioload!

Leathers are virtually tanks. They can live through a lot!

Here’s my build thread *NEW*Red Sea reefer 250 build thread
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/*NEW*Red-Sea-reefer-250-build-thread.522957/

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back