180 Stocking Help

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have one clownfish. One hippo tang, one sailfin, and one yellow tang. I would like to add some chromis. Some anthias. And some wrasses.
I would like schools of chromis and anthias but not 100% sure on how many of each. How many would y’all recommend?? And any wrasse suggestions?

I’m also open to other ideas and options if y’all have any. I currently only have a few mushrooms in it and plan to keep coral to a minimum. Thanks!

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have one clownfish. One hippo tang, one sailfin, and one yellow tang. I would like to add some chromis. Some anthias. And some wrasses.
I would like schools of chromis and anthias but not 100% sure on how many of each. How many would y’all recommend?? And any wrasse suggestions?

I’m also open to other ideas and options if y’all have any. I currently only have a few mushrooms in it and plan to keep coral to a minimum. Thanks!
I love fairy wrasses. Pretty much any of them. They're some of the coolest fish we can get in the hobby. If you have a sand bed though, then I'd recommend one of the halichoeres wrasses as they are also a good pick. They are constantly cruising the tank looking for pests to eat.

I've never had luck with anthias or chromis due to uronema and them killing each other off. If you do get anthias, the dispar and bartlett anthias are supposed to be hardy. For chromis, the classic blue/green chromis is what most people have.

I believe every tank should have a Molly Miller blenny as they are amazing at eating aiptasia IME and have great personality.

Also, get your clownfish a mate! Choose a smaller one so they're more likely to pair up. It took a couple of years for mine to pair up, but now they lay eggs pretty regularly. Or at least when the water quality is good.

OP
OP
T

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love fairy wrasses. Pretty much any of them. They're some of the coolest fish we can get in the hobby. If you have a sand bed though, then I'd recommend one of the halichoeres wrasses as they are also a good pick. They are constantly cruising the tank looking for pests to eat.

I've never had luck with anthias or chromis due to uronema and them killing each other off. If you do get anthias, the dispar and bartlett anthias are supposed to be hardy. For chromis, the classic blue/green chromis is what most people have.

I believe every tank should have a Molly Miller blenny as they are amazing at eating aiptasia IME and have great personality.

Also, get your clownfish a mate! Choose a smaller one so they're more likely to pair up. It took a couple of years for mine to pair up, but now they lay eggs pretty regularly. Or at least when the water quality is good.
I keep hearing the same dreaded story about chromis picking each other off so it must be true lol. So the clownfish that I have came with the tank. The lady said the other one died during a power outage. It’s currently about 3” the one that is remaining. So I wasn’t sure if I would be able to pair another one up with this one or not

Oregon Grown Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep hearing the same dreaded story about chromis picking each other off so it must be true lol. So the clownfish that I have came with the tank. The lady said the other one died during a power outage. It’s currently about 3” the one that is remaining. So I wasn’t sure if I would be able to pair another one up with this one or not
My female had a different mate that passed away. It took some time with another male, but they eventually paired up. Just pay attention to aggression. There will absolutely be some, but it should be fine if the new fish is smaller.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back