1st coral... need advice

Dloy90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I am about to get my first soft coral and have decided i want to have GSP covering the back of my tank.

For you folks this is probably a ridiculous question but whats the best way to get it to grow on the back? Do i sit the frag plug on a piece of rock toughing the back of the glass or take it off the plug and glue it to the glass? I have also read that its best to start it on the bottom and let it grow up the way, is that correct?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dloy90

Dloy90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can put it on a rock next to the glass and it will eventually grow on to the glass. If the frag is big enough then you can pull the mat off and glue it where you like. I would opt for being patient and letting it grow on it's own.
Ideal, thanks!

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with just putting it against the glass at the bottom and waiting

I considered the “magnetic frag plugs” they make....... I WOULD NOT DO THIS...... Seems like a cool idea, but the thought of leaving that magnet in the tank for perhaps years (I wanted to grow something else on the glass) makes me nervous for leaking/contamination

OP
OP
Dloy90

Dloy90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with just putting it against the glass at the bottom and waiting

I considered the “magnetic frag plugs” they make....... I WOULD NOT DO THIS...... Seems like a cool idea, but the thought of leaving that magnet in the tank for perhaps years (I wanted to grow something else on the glass) makes me nervous for leaking/contamination
Yeah i wont be using one of them, I dont really want it on the sand though, is there a way of stopping that?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i wont be using one of them, I dont really want it on the sand though, is there a way of stopping that?

Put a nice big piece/branch on a frag rack, and once it starts growing on the back, remove the rack....

or just put another flat rock down, and set it on that, and same concept.... remove rock when it climbs onto glass.....

Lorenzo Angotti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, yes I think you have got the answer to your question, should look great once it’s spread on the back glass, I’m doing the same but with blue star polyps.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back