2 MP40 QD's on back wall. Suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Elos is 47"x31" with a single mp40 on the back wall but I'm about to add a second.
What modes/configuration would be best for this setup?
SPS heavy and LPS.

Thanks!
:)

austinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tagging along.....

My tank is a 40x24 and I'm currently playing around with two mp40s one on the back and one on the side but maybe I'll throw both in the back

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, I tried two on the back wall with my current tank and from a looks perspective it was great (back wall painted black). I alternated the flow between the two so they weren't working in tandem. Kind of created a wave effect from one side to the other. I finally settled with one on the right side wall, and the other on the back left side. My current tank has a center overflow. You know I'm setting up the same Elos and I'm going to keep the same configuration except routing the dry side cord up from the bottom. I've been able to create a nice wave like this. I don't plan on painting the back wall this time and the bottom glass is so think on these Elos tanks there will be a small cord run visible. I'll be glad to update you after I get the new tank running. JP

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis, I tried two on the back wall with my current tank and from a looks perspective it was great (back wall painted black). I alternated the flow between the two so they weren't working in tandem. Kind of created a wave effect from one side to the other. I finally settled with one on the right side wall, and the other on the back left side. My current tank has a center overflow. You know I'm setting up the same Elos and I'm going to keep the same configuration except routing the dry side cord up from the bottom. I've been able to create a nice wave like this. I don't plan on painting the back wall this time and the bottom glass is so think on these Elos tanks there will be a small cord run visible. I'll be glad to update you after I get the new tank running. JP
Thanks!

What did you like better about the rear/side config?
I'm hoping that the two on the rear will be reach most places and then the two returns can be directed to help hit any low flow spots.
The only thing I don't like about the rear position is sand blowing back from the front glass.
But I was thinking of trying some kind of anti-sync pulse.

austinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

I'm hoping that the two on the rear will be reach most places and then the two returns can be directed to help hit any low flow spots.
The only thing I don't like about the rear position is sand blowing back from the front glass.

Your guys tanks are deeper than mine (24") but to avoid the sandstorm effect with my one on the back right now I keep it under 30%.

The one on the opposite side I have running at 50%

These are the modes i run currently (im sure these are going to change as I add livestock)

Pump1=back
Pump2=right side

12am
1 Eco back 15%
2 Tidal 30%

12pm
1 Eco bak 20%
2 NTM 40%

330pm
1 Antisync 25%
2 Reef crest 50%

6pm
1 Eco bak 20%
2 Tidal 50%

930pm
1 Eco bak 20%
2 NTM 40%

NTM Creates a nice wave across the length of the tank and I can only assume from the changing sand patterns from mode to mode that im getting great movement in the water column so far.

I would still like to try both on the back to clean up the look of the tank but worry about having to turn the pump down too low.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump for more input!

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Side/Back seemed to give a more random flow. I also noticed sand blowing from the front glass even in the deep tank when both were on the back wall. I was using anti-sync and other modes throughout the day.

Reefanatik

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have two mp40QDs on the back wall and one on the right side wall for a total of 3. The two in the back are on NT mode on 70% sync mode. The one on the right wall is on reefcrest anty-sync at 70% and every now Andy then I go to constant flow. I didn't have any dead spots and liked the flow. My tank is 48x36x24. I just removed all my sand after my tank crash so I my increase flow a bit more now after I start adding coral again.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after looking at my tank and going back and forth I decided to put it on the side wall.
It just looked like I'd hit more spots that way.
They're not sync'd, and my profilux is running them in different modes throughout the day.

m0jjen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can share my plan. I currently have a reefer 425xl with 2 mp40QD. Im planing on having them on the back running at a low % and then having a FX250 gyre on one of the sides. The mp40qd are more than enough flow but im getting quite some deadspots and i also feel that not that much flow hits deeper in the rocks making it easy for detritus to accumilate in pits and pockets. Feels overkill but in the long run it probably will prove a healthy reef with alot of random flow.

Also i value silence ALOT. Hence the oversized pumps so i can run them on a lower setting :)

austinl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Elos is 47"x31" with a single mp40 on the back wall but I'm about to add a second.
What modes/configuration would be best for this setup?
SPS heavy and LPS.

Thanks!
:)

Hey D2mini

What % are you running your pumps at? I have recently moved my pumps to one on each side.

My tank is fairly bare at the moment but I wonder if my flow is too much for some the smaller fish ie chromis and clowns.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey D2mini

What % are you running your pumps at? I have recently moved my pumps to one on each side.

My tank is fairly bare at the moment but I wonder if my flow is too much for some the smaller fish ie chromis and clowns.
I'm not sure. Mine are programmed with my Profilux and it uses power values from 0-255 (no idea why).
But I've got mine cranked up just enough so that water doesn't slosh out of the tank when it goes into wave mode.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back