2 Tangs kissing

DeadlyCompassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So weird title, I know. But the title is really all I can describe it as.
My 2 tangs- Powder Blue Tang and Blonde Naso Tang- were caught red handed giving each other the kissy-kiss action.

All jokes aside, I would like to know what kind of tang behavior this is and what it means? I've never had multiple tangs in the same tank before. I always had just 1 in a tank. So I never got to witness any kind of social behavior.

My assumption is that it's like a grooming behavior of some sort? It was wholly non-aggressive, and the naso was very gentle, and the powder blue was completely fine with it. Didnt move while the naso did it.
Overall, they get along extremely well. Never fought. Only the occasional body wiggle from the PBT, but not aggressive, seems more like showing off/dominance display.

I would like to know, for SCIENCE.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A video might be helpful. Could be an attempt at some sort of intimidation that isn't quite succeeding.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So weird title, I know. But the title is really all I can describe it as.
My 2 tangs- Powder Blue Tang and Blonde Naso Tang- were caught red handed giving each other the kissy-kiss action.

All jokes aside, I would like to know what kind of tang behavior this is and what it means? I've never had multiple tangs in the same tank before. I always had just 1 in a tank. So I never got to witness any kind of social behavior.

My assumption is that it's like a grooming behavior of some sort? It was wholly non-aggressive, and the naso was very gentle, and the powder blue was completely fine with it. Didnt move while the naso did it.
Overall, they get along extremely well. Never fought. Only the occasional body wiggle from the PBT, but not aggressive, seems more like showing off/dominance display.

I would like to know, for SCIENCE.
having many tangs Ive seen this a couple of times and it appears they are cleaning each others' mouths. There was no damage with this behavior, but they appeared to be picking opposed to kissing

OP
OP
DeadlyCompassion

DeadlyCompassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A video might be helpful. Could be an attempt at some sort of intimidation that isn't quite succeeding.
If I see them doing it again, I will try to get a video. Seems odd for it to be an intimidation tactic though. They are super chill with each other, swimming together all the time and sharing food, they seem like best buds to be honest. The blonde naso is always checking in on the PBT when he hides in his little cave and even feeds it by pulling strips of nori off the seaweed clip and letting the flow of the tank take it downstream to the PBT, where they eat it. I'd be extremely surprised if that's what this behavior meant.

OP
OP
DeadlyCompassion

DeadlyCompassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
having many tangs Ive seen this a couple of times and it appears they are cleaning each others' mouths. There was no damage with this behavior, but they appeared to be picking opposed to kissing
Hahah, I figured. I didn't think they were kissing per se, I just didn't know what else to describe it as for others to understand what I am talking about. Kissing is a very human thing to do.... some freshwater fish I know of do it, but sometimes it means "I dont like you" rather than "I love you". XD

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Kissing gouramis don't actually kiss either, it's just shoving with mouths. I'm not sure of any animals that properly kiss, other than us, though some birds do nibble at each other's faces in a way that's pretty close.

OP
OP
DeadlyCompassion

DeadlyCompassion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kissing gouramis don't actually kiss either, it's just shoving with mouths. I'm not sure of any animals that properly kiss, other than us, though some birds do nibble at each other's faces in a way that's pretty close.
I know it isn't "kissing"... lol. I just think it is easier and simpler for others to understand if I say that.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back