20-30 Gallon AIO Upgrade Suggestions

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all, I have a Nuvo Fusion 20 that has started to get air in the silicone seals in various spots around the tank. The tank itself is about 4 years old and has seen many different tank scapes and environment types. I was looking at switching it out with another tank, but I am unsure if I should stick with another Nuvo AIO, perhaps a lagoon 25 or even the same 20 gallon. I wanted to see if you guys had any experience with AIO tanks that are 20-30 gallons in size that would be a good option to switch to. Im more open to switch the dimensions up for something new. Any experience and help would be appreciated. Thanks!

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might depend on your overall fit for your existing gear if your not looking to change any equipment. Then maybe stay with same tank or the 25 lagoon. I have the 25 and have enjoyed it so far. Gives you a bit more floorspace but similar sump dimensions for your existing equipment.

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be more then you're looking for but I have a Red Sea 170 and love it. About 33 gallon display. I also have an IM Fusion 20 sitting empty now. I upgraded that tank to a Reef Octopus lux t90 which is 48 gallons. RO also has a lux t 60 which is about 32 gallons. Both tanks are very good quality. The 90 cabinet is better IMO then the red sea cabinet. Awesome cabinet.

FWIW the 170 can be purchased as an AIO and that's how I bought it. I then upgraded to an in cabinet sump after a year or so.

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might depend on your overall fit for your existing gear if your not looking to change any equipment. Then maybe stay with same tank or the 25 lagoon. I have the 25 and have enjoyed it so far. Gives you a bit more floorspace but similar sump dimensions for your existing equipment.
I was leaning toward the 25 lagoon, but I was hesitant only because Im running a hydra 26 on my 20 and I did not want to have to either get another 26 or switch to a 52 to make up for the more floor area of the tank. I guess I could just play with the scape so that anything that needs light can be focused in a general area and not worry about the sides as much. Did you end up getting a new pump for it or is stock sufficient?

OP
OP
Angelo Fatica

Angelo Fatica

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be more then you're looking for but I have a Red Sea 170 and love it. About 33 gallon display. I also have an IM Fusion 20 sitting empty now. I upgraded that tank to a Reef Octopus lux t90 which is 48 gallons. RO also has a lux t 60 which is about 32 gallons. Both tanks are very good quality. The 90 cabinet is better IMO then the red sea cabinet. Awesome cabinet.

FWIW the 170 can be purchased as an AIO and that's how I bought it. I then upgraded to an in cabinet sump after a year or so.
I am a big fan of the reef octopus and red sea tank systems, they're definitely some of the best looking. But man they have a big price tag compared to some of the other systems!

Bossman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a big fan of the reef octopus and red sea tank systems, they're definitely some of the best looking. But man they have a big price tag compared to some of the other systems!

Yes, I hear you on the cost up front. I plan on having the tank for many years. I hope the money I spent will show it's worth in the long run.

The RO does come with a return pump and RO skimmer. That helped me make the decision to go RO this time around. They aren't DC but work perfectly.

W Haymaker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was leaning toward the 25 lagoon, but I was hesitant only because Im running a hydra 26 on my 20 and I did not want to have to either get another 26 or switch to a 52 to make up for the more floor area of the tank. I guess I could just play with the scape so that anything that needs light can be focused in a general area and not worry about the sides as much. Did you end up getting a new pump for it or is stock sufficient?

I stayed with the stock pump on mine however I have seen mixed reviews about them from others on here. Some are good, some are loud. Mine has been quiet so far and sits right next to my bed. It's not dead silent but still very quiet.

btmedic04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a nuvo 20 and went to a 40B. Looking back, I wish I had gone with the lagoon 25 first. The extra width makes aquascaping so much easier! As far as your Hydra 26 goes, it should be fine since the lagoon 25 is the same length and only a few inches wider. If you are concerned about spread and coverage, you can always raise the light off the surface of the water a bit to see if that helps before buying a second light

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back