20 gallon tall

T_rad21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have a 20 gallon tall tank that will be a reef tank, for coral I’ll probably mostly do zoas, at least one pulsing Xenia, a duncan or two, and maybe a hammer coral. The tank has been cycling for about 3 weeks and I’m getting ready to start adding fish. I for sure want a pair of Clowns, but I would love to hear your recommendations on types of clowns, I’m thinking a black and white type or a maroon gold stripe pair, so let me know what types you guys have kept and like to keep. I also want to keep a Mandarin Dragonet, I’ve seen people train them to eat blood worms, so I’m going to try that, but if that doesn’t work I’ll go buy bottles of pods. I also want a diamond watchman goby because in my opinion they’re the best looking sand-sifting goby, and I love to watch sand-sifters. Other than the pair of clowns, the dragonet, and the diamond watchman, could I stock more than that? If so what else should I get? Thanks in advanced Reefers! <3

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One Xenia = 1 million Xenia in a few months. Be careful.

I would steer clear of the Mandarin and Goby. The Mandarin will be really hard to keep alive in such a small tank. You'll have to be adding pods every few days, even if you do get them to supplemental feed with prepared foods. If you're set on having one, you may want to set up a pod refugium so you don't have to keep buying them.
As far as the Goby, IMO, a 20g with a few small fish may not have enough in the sand to sustain it. I'm not a sand-sifting expert, so I could be wrong, but that's what my 25+ years in the hobby is telling me.
Best of luck in your new tank! :)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Diamond gobies would get to big for the tank imo.
Look into cryptocentrus species gobies for something that looks similar.
If you want an easier to feed mandarin, get one of the ORA ones, they are easier to get eating prepared foods. Bloodworms aren’t a good staple, they don’t have much nutrients. I agree you will want a huge sump/refuge to keep one in a small tank.
Maroon clowns get too big, so look for percula or occelaris.
I wouldn’t put more than 4 fish in that size tank, especially since most will take the mandarin’s food if you really want one.

konatown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get captive bred mandarins that are trained to pellets and frozen. In my area they’re $75-100. I don’t know how well they do though. And they’re very small. But I might go that route so I don’t have to watch him starve. Also, tank is kinda small, but don’t worry, they’ll be fine while you get things going for a while, I’d just plan on upgrading pretty soon.

Back