What salt are you using in 2022?

• Total voters

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about Marine Environment? MDP says it's the best. His study proves it! The secret is in the little blue bottle.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use that stuff regularly back in the Nineties. Call me weird, but I love the way it smelled :D. What's it mixing up to these days?
haha funny you mention it. I LOVE the smell... my wife makes fun of me for saying so. Mine mixes to 8.5dkh. That's why I picked it in the beginning, no other reason other than being readily available to me.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
haha funny you mention it. I LOVE the smell... my wife makes fun of me for saying so. Mine mixes to 8.5dkh. That's why I picked it in the beginning, no other reason other than being readily available to me.
8.5 sounds great. I'm looking for a something with a lower alk, thanks!

OP
OP
ReefRondo

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity was a salt I used in the past and really like and didn’t have any issues, it just got to be a pain finding it locally
It’s what most aquatic shops here in Scotland use as bulk salt for their systems with no issues. I used it for the first 2 years in this hobby with no issues but also not amazing results either. I put most of that down to my learning curve however and not the salt.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok folks with Covid, issues with certain brands of salt being available and now some quality control issues thrown in what are we all using now and what were we using before? Reasons for change would be great if you can be bothered commenting.

I historically used red sea coral pro because its a good bang for the buck and I like high alk salts. Their salt mixes in 15 minutes or so which is fantastic because I don't have a mixing bin and only ever need to make small batches of salt water at a time. However, I have recently used instant ocean because I got some for cheap. I really don't care about salt brand anymore so long as it mixes quickly. I don't store it so I don't care about precipitation brown crud that people have gotten with every salt to some degree.

Then again, no stores near me carry much else besides aquaforest, IO/RC, Fritz, and red sea. I could have another brand ordered in, but I just don't care enough since practically no one is failing in this hobby due to their salt (unless you use a 13KH alk salt on an ULNS lol).

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe it - either have a long way to ship to get to the other. If TM was available cheap, I would use it and never look back - great salt, but inconsistent to get in the US and very expensive at nearly $100 a bucket around me (if you can find it). I just got 4 200g boxes of IO and they were about $42 each shipped to my door.

I could never spend $100 on a bucket of salt lol

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get the cheap salt and have the mountains here in Colorado (and great tap water with like 20 TDS that makes RODI filters last for many years). :) That $42 is for 200 gallon box and not the 160g bucket. Just wait for a few sales and then Petco and/or Chewy often have 10-20% off coupons.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - if you love a salt and just want lower carbonate, you can add acid to bring it down. I add Muriatic Acid to my IO to lower the alk to about 7.0. It is safe and easy, but you do need to aerate for another day or two to drive off the co2 that you made when you added the acid.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your poll is missing HW Weigandt marine mix which BRS carries. It’s a close 2nd to TM. I use HW or TM as they are closest to my Alkalinity of 7-8 dkh. I’d love to use IO but their alk is too high. Like 11+ dkh.

i_am_mclovin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW - if you love a salt and just want lower carbonate, you can add acid to bring it down. I add Muriatic Acid to my IO to lower the alk to about 7.0. It is safe and easy, but you do need to aerate for another day or two to drive off the co2 that you made when you added the acid.
How much do you add to get to 7? Where do you buy your acid from?

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use tmpr right now but will be changing to blue bucket after this pail

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Red Sea Blue Bucket, for the past 1.5 years. Before that I always used instant ocean or reef crystals, but the alkalinity is just too hot for me.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back