20gal stocking

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then wrap the netting or even Saran Wrap between the light’s arm and the lid. You can wrap around the light too if you need to

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about stocking further and now I’m thinking
2x ocellaris clownfish
1x clown goby or watchman goby ( I need help deciding which would be best I personally prefer watchman but whatever is best for my tank)
1x emerald crab
And either a lobster or a sea star it’s a 20gallon tank and I have no idea which one is better suited ?

Last edited:

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about stocking further and now I’m thinking
2x ocellaris clownfish
1x clown goby or watchman goby ( I need help deciding which would be best I personally prefer watchman but whatever is best for my tank)
1x emerald crab
And either a lobster or a sea star it’s a 20gallon tank and I have no idea which one is better suited ?
neither are that well suited unless you have tons of knowledge of how to keep them alive i would not get a sea star also a lobster would get way too big and if you want something like a sea star get a brittle star instead

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
neither are that well suited unless you have tons of knowledge of how to keep them alive i would not get a sea star also a lobster would get way too big and if you want something like a sea star get a brittle star instead
Hi I don’t like the brittle stars so will have a look at what other options I have as lobster will get to big as you said

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There should be at least a few good options regarding non standard clean up crew invertebrate but I would recommend to establish your fish and snails first because they are what establish your aquariums biosphere and drive it to maturity. Larger invertebrates require direct feeding, especially on a tank your size. These extra nutrients can be hard to manage and target feeding can get tiring. I do consider emerald crabs to be somewhat of an exception to this rule since they stay fairly small and good algae eaters but it will still require some direct feeding, which will give you an idea for how much you enjoy doing so and prepare you for keeping something like a starfish.
Regarding fish I would personally add at least one other fish to help keep the clownfish at bay. Gobies are incredibly timid fish so I would recommend a fanged tooth blenny such as the Canary Blenny which is one of my favorite fish.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my final idea
2x ocellaris clowns
1x watchman goby
1x emerald crab
1x blue damselfish
some hermit crabs as other clean up crew
Does this work I’m planning to add the damsel first then the two clowns a few weeks later then the goby a week later then the crab a week after does this sound good ? I know damsels need 30 gal tank and mine is a 22 gal is that ok or not ?

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my final idea
2x ocellaris clowns
1x watchman goby
1x emerald crab
1x blue damselfish
some hermit crabs as other clean up crew
Does this work I’m planning to add the damsel first then the two clowns a few weeks later then the goby a week later then the crab a week after does this sound good ? I know damsels need 30 gal tank and mine is a 22 gal is that ok or not ?
I personally would not recommend a damsel fish with clowns in that small of a tank because I have heard that it most of the time does not work out and you end up with a either dead damsel or dead clowns a alternative could be a pajama cardinal fish which will not kill your clowns
here is a link for one

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d advise against the emerald crab because as they get larger they may try to go after your fish if there isn’t enough for them to eat. Clownfish are a type of damsel, so adding another damsel is a recipe for aggression. Maybe consider a small basslet.

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d advise against the emerald crab because as they get larger they may try to go after your fish if there isn’t enough for them to eat. Clownfish are a type of damsel, so adding another damsel is a recipe for aggression. Maybe consider a small basslet.
Ok then no damsel

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally would not recommend a damsel fish with clowns in that small of a tank because I have heard that it most of the time does not work out and you end up with a either dead damsel or dead clowns a alternative could be a pajama cardinal fish which will not kill your clowns
here is a link for one
I on,y like the damsel because it is very hardy was going to add it first so that it can handle the mini spike that happens when you add your first fish to the tank

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I on,y like the damsel because it is very hardy was going to add it first so that it can handle the mini spike that happens when you add your first fish to the tank
I had No spike when I added my first 2 fish in my 20 gallon which where my clowns. Do you have bottled bacteria? If you do add it when you add your first fish which i think should be your clowns

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had No spike when I added my first 2 fish in my 20 gallon which where my clowns. Do you have bottled bacteria? If you do add it when you add your first fish which i think should be your clowns
I have added two doses of seachem stability and half a bottle of 12gal colony but my levels are still ammonia : 0.20 nitrite :0-0.25 so I don’t really want to put fish in because of the levels but what do you recommend I do ?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gr
Check out chalk bass, black cap basslet, or the royal gramma.
I like the look of a royal gramma and have done for a while are they very hardy because I think adding two clowns first might spike the ammonia and might be to much to add right away as the bacteria isn’t built up to its best

UkiahTheTurtle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added two doses of seachem stability and half a bottle of 12gal colony but my levels are still ammonia : 0.20 nitrite :0-0.25 so I don’t really want to put fish in because of the levels but what do you recommend I do ?
get bottled ammonia form fritz

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know where I can safely buy live saltwater fish online ?

OP
OP
Emma_fish

Emma_fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where can I safely buy fish online that will deliver to the Uk ?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back