265 reef

Saltwater_newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help I have a 265 Reef that’s been up and running for 20 years
About two months ago I decide to do some aqua scape with my old rocks.
I took about a third of the rocks out broke them up glue them back together. Nothing was in the system it was done totally outside of the system.
I have never clean my sand bed in 20 years.
So I started to clean my San bed
Since then I have lost
powder blue
Clown fish
Rusty angel
Blue hippo
I’m currently feeding 3 to 4 times a day
With selcon And just started recently using metroplex
I’m doing about a 30 gallon water change every other day
Most fish in a tank look very bad.
Is there any advice out there?
Check out the glue you used, see if it is toxic to fish, in the volume you used it, maybe???

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your remaining fish make it. When you’re done redoing the scape, remember that with sand, you either disturb it regularly, or you don’t. If you let 6 months go by without disturbing and suddenly do it, you risk killing your fish. If you want to start doing it, you can do it in small patches, one at a time, spread over many weeks.

The same happened to me about a year ago. I killed about half my fish (a dozen) after disturbing my never disturbed sand. It sucks.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope your remaining fish make it. When you’re done redoing the scape, remember that with sand, you either disturb it regularly, or you don’t. If you let 6 months go by without disturbing and suddenly do it, you risk killing your fish. If you want to start doing it, you can do it in small patches, one at a time, spread over many weeks.

The same happened to me about a year ago. I killed about half my fish (a dozen) after disturbing my never disturbed sand. It sucks.
Been there for sure …

we all used to believe the sand was the secret to beneficial bacteria and only a small scoop of old sand can instantly seed a new tank …

The majority of time That small scoop of old sand is what does most damage .

OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been there for sure …

we all used to believe the sand was the secret to beneficial bacteria and only a small scoop of old sand can instantly seed a new tank …

The majority of time That small scoop of old sand is what does most damage .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 103

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the fish in qt, make sure they get good oxygenation, good hiding areas, clean water, and give them some time. Adding meds now will probably stress them too much.

Polyps on back wall will make it or they will not. Not to worry too much.

Good luck. I know it is a pain. I had a deep sandbed in my sump and removing it was a total pain. I could easily take it offline though. Mine was also only a couple years old.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I was getting back in just now thinking about this huge job / would rank among the top 3 most serious works in that thread in terms of value (time=money amplifier) it will take days to prep

surely you haven’t started yet, right man

usually I’d edit that out above after having just seen the start. If it’s time to rock and roll then it’s time, may you slay the waste with a power chord. Lack of complete annihilating sand rinse is the most dangerous risk so if those grains test cup to show grains from a snowglobe, rise and fall no cloud, that huge expensive reef will skip cycle back into place as the rocks never touched anything but saltwater, you can even rinse attached detritus off briefly with freshwater if that’s what it takes to not bring in cloudy waste attached to the rocks,

submerging them in old buckets of tank water and twist swishing them harshly will shed off a layer of detritus and re open up plugged pores too, its a de-aging time when you rip clean. Take apart the tank sand comes out last.

if we hit the sand clean with tap, final rinse ro, and hit the rocks with saltwater twist swishing, that cleanliness is what skip cycles it all back.

dont add bottle bac this isn’t a job for extra oxygen competing aerobes it’s a time for creative detritus ejection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need an air pump and the quarantine tank?
As I was getting back in just now thinking about this huge job / would rank among the top 3 most serious works in that thread in terms of value (time=money amplifier) it will take days to prep

surely you haven’t started yet, right man

usually I’d edit that out above after having just seen the start. If it’s time to rock and roll then it’s time, may you slay the waste with a power chord. Lack of complete annihilating sand rinse is the most dangerous risk so if those grains test cup to show grains from a snowglobe, rise and fall no cloud, that huge expensive reef will skip cycle back into place as the rocks never touched anything but saltwater, you can even rinse attached detritus off briefly with freshwater if that’s what it takes to not bring in cloudy waste attached to the rocks,

submerging them in old buckets of tank water and twist swishing them harshly will shed off a layer of detritus and re open up plugged pores too, its a de-aging time when you rip clean. Take apart the tank sand comes out last.

if we hit the sand clean with tap, final rinse ro, and hit the rocks with saltwater twist swishing, that cleanliness is what skip cycles it all back.

dont add bottle bac this isn’t a job for extra oxygen competing aerobes it’s a time for creative detritus ejection.
I am throwing out the sand and getting new sand
I think my biggest question right now what do I put in the quarantine tank because the fish looks so bad?

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is r2r resident expert on fish diesese,I know vetteguy very knowledgeable also but he already been tagged.
I'm no expert but If was me I would be thinking if you didn't qt in first place on your fish and your fish have built up an immunity to certain parasites thats great but a huge stress event like this could weaken your fish and then parasites/ dieseses got the upper hand to strike so if is the case then could medicate your fish whilst they in qt.i will post Jay's current diesese protocol 2021 in a moment if you want a read while you waiting for water to get made but please wait till jay replys to give an expert opinion.

And even if your fish not shown any signs of diesese or parasites in last years,they could still be in your tank but in low numbers or whatever .

Anyway good luck you got a big job ahead of you.
Maybe ask family or friends to help you to speed things up ^_^

Edit: current diesese protocol

I also see on first page you say lost 2 tangs and a angel and clownfish,tangs have thin slime coats so I read alot people say this is why tangs are known as ich magnets as thinner slime coats so more susceptible to parasites ( not saying you got ich but saying still get advice from jay on his opinion but this tank and its inhabitants had a possible huge stress event)
Also on this screenshot of your orange shoulder tang I believe it is,what's on it where outlined ?

Screenshot_20220101-225653_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must go back and re read posts from the start here so you don’t make a mistake

i never did mention quarantine that’s others approach, if you’re blending modes then that has no link here you can study and is therefore a total risk. I never took this as a disease expression, I had mentioned if you hadn’t added wet things from a pet store lately then the sand is the issue, and in the sand rinse thread every job held their fish and corals in totes from Home Depot. An air stone is fine for circulation but cover the tanks so fish don’t jump.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

rusty dowell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal is r2r resident expert on fish diesese,I know vetteguy very knowledgeable also but he already been tagged.
I'm no expert but If was me I would be thinking if you didn't qt in first place on your fish and your fish have built up an immunity to certain parasites thats great but a huge stress event like this could weaken your fish and then parasites/ dieseses got the upper hand to strike so if is the case then could medicate your fish whilst they in qt.i will post Jay's current diesese protocol 2021 in a moment if you want a read while you waiting for water to get made but please wait till jay replys to give an expert opinion.

And even if your fish not shown any signs of diesese or parasites in last years,they could still be in your tank but in low numbers or whatever .

Anyway good luck you got a big job ahead of you.
Maybe ask family or friends to help you to speed things up ^_^

Edit: current diesese protocol

I also see on first page you say lost 2 tangs and a angel and clownfish,tangs have thin slime coats so I read alot people say this is why tangs are known as ich magnets as thinner slime coats so more susceptible to parasites ( not saying you got ich but saying still get advice from jay on his opinion but this tank and its inhabitants had a possible huge stress event)
Also on this screenshot of your orange shoulder tang I believe it is,what's on it where outlined ?

Screenshot_20220101-225653_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 79

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty good surface area to hold them a bit, looking good

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice little batch of clownfish, I count 8.my little 4 year old would love them and that copperband I see at bottom.our copperband she named rusty and her favourite fish ^_^

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad they’re all out and swimming .
that’s a good sign in itself .

I’d personally add a few more pieces of rock .
the beneficial bacteria will only help avoid ammonia spikes .

I don’t know if I’d call it a quarantine tank . Or hospital tank. .

more a holding tank .
a stay at the cottage while the house is being renovated

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 57.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 17 26.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back