300 CUBE (LED's)

PortlandReefer01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted this on a couple other fourm but have to post in the clue cube...
New tank time! I haven’t attempted a tank “build†thread before but thought I would share my experience. I am putting in a new tank… not by choice though. Last month I was looking at the tank (150gal) and noticed there was a little crack in it . Apparently the top was not cut correctly (when built) and it has caused stress on it and so the little crack is getting bigger. Yikes! So either it is time to get a new tank or get out of reefing. Hmmmmm… I don’t want to get out.
The new tank is a (48x48x30) 300gal, (this has always been my dream tank). My thought was to try to make the tank look like it is part of the room, (kind of like a divider coming out from the wall). It will be placed on the second floor with a main brace directly below it. The stand was made out of (2x4) square metal tubing. If my calculations are correct, (been a while since geometry class), the contact points of the stand will only be bearing roughly (187lbs) (per sq. inch), * if the whole package weighs 6,000lbs. The garage is directly below the tank so the two 55 gallon food grade drums for mixing and water changes will be held there. For some reason the wife doesn’t appreciate having them in the dining room….sheesh….go figure!

Equipment:
All will be controlled by an APEX
Return pump will be a Reeflo dart through (2) 1†sea swirl’s.
Flow will be (2) MP’s 40
The reactor will be a Korallin C-4002
Skimmer was made by a guy here local rated for 450 heavy bio load, (yeah for keeping it local)!
Using 2 BRS media reactors for GFO and carbon when needed.
Using a BRS 2 Part Doser accurate 1.1mL per minute to dose Mag.
Lighting:
Going to go with LED’s (Built by the same guy local…woo hoo). He is using the same casing as the other similar ones out there but at a more economical price. But I’m not total sold on LED’s so I got a great deal on some T-5 retro kit (Free….is ALWAYS good) So I am going to do (8) T-5’s and (4) of the LED’s fixtures. I know the T-5’s wont penetrate 30†but I don’t need them too. I really don’t plan on putting SPS’s that low. It will allow me to keep low light coral LPS’s in the tank with SPS.

Here is the lay out for the lighting:
Blue Plus
Purple Plus
LED LED
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
GE 6500K
Blue Plus
LED LED
Purple Plus
Blue Plus

Here are some updated pics... Here is the stand..
IMG_4756.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

OP
OP
PortlandReefer01

PortlandReefer01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Up all night and here it is now. You can see white on the coroners but I have trim to cover that.
IMG_4801.jpg

The tank has arrived..
IMG_4802.jpg

And sitting on the stand needed some cleaning....
IMG_4803.jpg

So here is the start of the top..... I did the frame first then I'm going to skin it. I didn't want the light to high up so I did the light rack lower.
IMG_4813.jpg

IMG_4814.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
PortlandReefer01

PortlandReefer01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some updated pics..
IMG_4815.jpg

IMG_4817.jpg

IMG_4818.jpg

IMG_4824.jpg

IMG_4826.jpg

Pluming is all done so water is going in.
IMG_4823.jpg

IMG_4822.jpg

Some updated pictures been busy,
The hood all done.
IMG_4827.jpg

IMG_4832.jpg

Here is the hood still have to finish the doors.
IMG_4839.jpg

Here is the stand
IMG_4840.jpg

And all of it.
IMG_4841.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Awesome!

1Snapple

3g Picotope
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the triger. What is he? Nice set up also. How are you liking the leds?
Its a niger trigger.
That is the largest and one of the nicest cubes i've ever seen! sweet tank man! and do you have any idea what your par is with those 4 fixtures?
And that naso is lookin good

OP
OP
PortlandReefer01

PortlandReefer01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guy yes it is a niger trigger .
I love my Naso. Here is a par test if his Gen 1 lights. I have the gen2 with optics I think they are brighter with the optic. I'm getting amazing growth and color from the LED's.
The tank was built by a local guy.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back