300 gallon tank suggestions???

Llemonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, i have a 300g (72x36 footprint) mixed reef..
I just removed the rock from my tank last Saturday. I'm currently in the process of cooking it.. (I had some bryopsis and changing my plumbing so I figured why not).
First, I am planning on downgrading my return pump from a hammerhead down to a snapper. I dislike the unsightly 3x CPR overflow boxes and would prefer to use the built in corner flows. Also, I want to go with a more minimalist rock scape. To give more room for coral and to create less possible areas for detritus to settle (I am doing BB).
I am wondering if there is anyone out there that can give me recommendations for in tank flow that will be adequate for keeping detritus from settling and for supporting sps. I am begrudging the idea of 2x mp60's but I'm starting to think that it will give me the best results. And maybe a few koralias just for added support in behind the rock..
And and all suggestions are welcomed! :)

Loki

My skimmate doesn't stink
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never had a bare bottom tank, but I would imagine you would need some serious flow to keep the bottom of the tank clear. In my 120 I have two mp40's, a reeflo closed loop, and a mag 18 return pump. This has cause me to get rid of low flow corals but doesn't stir up any substrate. I would think your idea is good. Have a few powerheads pointed at the bottom of the tank and let the mp60's keep it suspended. I would also think it would require an often sweep of the tank with another power head just to make sure there isn't any buildup.

danka-cedium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you are off to a great start doing bb. I also have a 300 gallon. (96x30x24) i use a assortment of k4's k6's and k8's hidden under my rock, although it seems to keep my lower flow corals it is next to impossible to not have a few dead spots.

OP
OP
L

Llemonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you guys feel about going from a 5800gph pump to a 2500gph?
I figure I don't need nearly as much flow going through my sump per hour.. Along with switching over to using the corner flows, I was considering making one of them soley committed as a drain and removing the other one all together. That was the one I remove could be used as returns for spray bars across the bottom of the tank. But that's still an idea in the making..

OP
OP
L

Llemonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps a tunze wave box?? Maybe that and a mp60 would be sufficient? Or just stick with my two mp40s, and add a wave box and I would be set..?

OP
OP
L

Llemonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well.. This thread is old now, but from peoples advice, I just ordered an mp60 today.
Also, I believe I will forgo the idea of a wavebox.

OP
OP
L

Llemonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still, however considering a o/m 4 or 8 way.. If only I could find one used! But my searches have yielded nothing :/

uall8up

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the new spotlight tank?? It is BB and he lists all his equipment!!!

OP
OP
L

Llemonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, some how I had not yet seen this months spot light!
Now it has be thinking about running either penductors or eductors!

OP
OP
L

Llemonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fortunately I have an extra marlin pump, which is high pressure. The only caveat is that it needs fixed and I'm not sure yet what's wrong with it..
But I'm thinking if I get that running, I could use it as a closed loop with the returns being the 4x 1" holes from my cornerflows (which I'm intending on cutting out..) with eductors or penductors. Now I just have to think if I would want to use a o/m 4-way on it.. I'm leaning towards if I used an O/m and if it split the flow only two ways.. It would be way too muck flow from each outlet! Maybe I could just have it split between the four and run it on a timer for maybe half of the day..
Any thoughts?

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't do it (penductors/eductors). They are way to direct for flow. My LFS had 3 new devices that screw into the return bulkheads last week, all 3 either spin or oscillate and are very tiny compared to older methods of doing the same (sea swirl). I didn't catch the name of the products and they were demo products (none for sale yet) but the second I can buy one I will be tossing my penductors. This was one of the products, I can't seem to find the articles about the other ones quickly but I know they were on RB as well.

Spin Stream rotating return nozzle by Innovative Marine is available separately

As for your return pump, I would either keep the bigger pump, but T off it so you can use the extra flow for other things (like reactors), or if you don't plan on using reactors or anything else that may need the flow, then go with the smaller pump to save electricity.

OP
OP
L

Llemonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were T it off, I would consider using it to feed to my frag tank, or even back into the sump to assist in keeping detritus from settling.. Perhaphs, I could also eliminate the mj1200 on my PO4 reactor.. But I am unsure how the hammerhead would fair in feeding both my 300g display and 180g frag tank. Taking head pressure into account, the snapper I was planning on using for the 300 display would have only been at about 1600gph, so after splitting the hammerhead (5800@ 0' head) I might be looking at similar flow rates. Also, it would allow me to remove the dart from my frag tank, and maybe even sell it to fund more! :)

Also, would I would fine with two mp60s? I worry most about too much flow, since its coming from just two points, even though they are quite dispersed..

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back