320g build/journey/experiment :-)

That's quite the tank. what exactly happened to the previous sump tank? Did it crack?
 
The bottom seem along the back panel parted... improper installation on a non level floor... Tank is easily fixed but I didn't have the space to level it so I put the totes there instead (they don't care about an uneven floor)
 
I added a few things because my cycle stalled and within 4.5 hours my ammonia was halved.
Ammonia 2.5
Nitrite 5+ (off the scale)
Nitrate 40-50
 
Last edited:
awesome build thread love the pics ..man the rock work is awesome bet the fish love it how long did it take to make all the rock formations total time vested?
 
awesome build thread love the pics ..man the rock work is awesome bet the fish love it how long did it take to make all the rock formations total time vested?
If you count the time filling and emptying the tank as well as the time to put them in the ocean and retrieve them.... lots of man hours... I would say possibly 40 hours....
 
Well the controller is supposed to get here any day now... But I couldn't wait...

I see LIFE in my tank... for a day or two at least
Here are my test subjects... Hope you live a long time buddies.
953.jpg

966.jpg
 
Wow this tank has come a long way...Congrats on the controller and your "Test Subjects" Looking forward to following along!
 
So... I got my controller today WOOT! But I didn't get to set it up. I was working on modifying my cooling system for my lights... because I "Need" my lights right now.
Why would I need my lights you say. Because I got a piece of plate coral (broken off not sure of type... still needs to color up maybe?) I also got a branching coral that is not properly attached to the puck... but it's all good.

A point of interest... these pictures were taken with my video camera and the color is way off... but here you go.
Coral021.jpg

Coral025.jpg


P.S. I know they will die and I know that they will not be happy. But since I'm new to corals I kinda want to see what they can survive/how long.
Also I'm running on less then half my LED's so they might not be getting enough light. New LED's are in shipping as I type this.
 
WOW... that took a long time... I finally got my Apex set up... 21 outlets to program... but I need to add some programing to 12 of them. My tank is now going to have a sun rise/set based on time of year, Temp swings like they are supposed to, Moon lights, doing the time/brightness. Cooling systems coming on when they are needed for my lights. Lights shutting off if they get too hot (to prevent them burning out again)

All and all I'm happy so far... Time for fish :bigsmile:
 
Sweet can't wait to see it grow!
 
I took a bunch of pictures of my different stages of lights... but it didn't go too well... I think I'm going to make a video and edit out the waiting times between the lights going on/off and then post that rather then 13 pictures.

But I have Fishies!
My starfish.
Lighting005.jpg


A couple pictures of my mated pair.
13411067.jpg

13411055.jpg
 
was that a green brittle starfish? if it was then best of luck on no fish disappearing, mine love to eat my little fish. all except my stupid 3stripe damsels that i couldn't ever catch. nice looking tank and setup, keep us updated.
greg
 
So I thought I would post a quick video of my lights turning off at the end of day.
The LEDs turn off slowly to simulate a sunset (or in morning sunrise) The start at a different time every day depending on the time of year, the time between the first set and last set turning off is the same all year though. I have 12 sets of LEDs with each set having 5 LEDs. This is the order of the LEDs shutting off. W = White at 6700k, WW = Warm White at 3000k, and B = Blue. At 0 min W, 1 Min W, 2 Min W, 3 Min W and a WW that should have gone off at 6 Min, 4 Min WW, 8 Min WW, 11 Min B, 15 min B, 19 Min B, 23 Min B, and the last set of LEDs turns off at 28 Min and is a B.
This is the times that the LEDs shut off in the edited video.
Sets of white (6700k) LEDs turn off at 11 seconds, 21 seconds, 25 seconds, and 36 seconds.
At 37 seconds a set of warm white (3000k) LEDs turn off (programing error)
The other sets of warm white LEDs turn off at 45 seconds and 52 seconds.
The blue LEDs turn off at 1:04, 1:11, 1:15, 1:26, and 1:34

[video]http://www.youtube.com/embed/45nvyn0GU5A?rel=0[/video]
 
Last edited:

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 13.0%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new