35 gallon hexagon reef build

HexaReef

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 8, 2018
Messages
256
Reaction score
283
Location
PNW
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so Currently this is what I have. The tank is a little over 2 weeks old and yes it is cycled (used Fluval Bio-Floc added ammonia 1 week later, waited 24 hrs, water parameters were on point!)

  • 35 gallon Hex
  • 1 Hydor 425 gph
  • 1 Aqua Clear 70 powerhead (Soon to be another Hydor)
  • Aqua Clear 300 hang on back filter
  • Original light hood with two 40w LED 5,000k bulbs

Much of this will be replaced as i'm in the process of building a sump and my own overflow.

What my plans are:
  • 35 gallon hex
  • 2 hydor wave makers with controller
  • 20" Current Orbit Reef LED's or Ocean Revive t247
  • Custom Sump/Refugium(don't really plan on running a skimmer) <------ will start build thread
  • Custom Overflow <---- will start build thread
Here is the current pic
saltwater-tank-4.jpg
 
Got the new lights and wave maker installed.

Lights: Gealth 30x3w 90w LED
Wave Maker: jabeo rw-8
0dd0652539a3539aed1b1edf97c77b01.jpg
 
Any ideas why my water is still a bit cloudy looking? Water parameters are on point.
 
8 month update.

Since I've started last December, Ive experimented a bit and switched salts from Instant Ocean to Red Sea Coral Pro, tried 3 different lights, and with my DIY overflow, sump, and return, I've flooded the house several times. Not to mention, i had to battle Dinoflagettes as well. Now i finally feel like im getting the hang of it.. lol

This is what it looks like now
b52206d6ef3d7b204519b899504c62e8.jpg
 
How is your hex doing now? I have a freshwater one just like yours, that I'm thinking about converting to saltwater.
 
How is your hex doing now? I have a freshwater one just like yours, that I'm thinking about converting to saltwater.
Have you done this? I have a 50 gallon hex I’m looking to make saltwater. There’s not much info on hex saltwater tanks lol
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new