dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my frankenstiened rapman 3.2.
20190707_073714.jpg

One of the printers that helped start it all!
Yes, I know its ancient, but it prints ABS parts like a champ!

I revived it with an andruino/ramps controller and cartridge heater hotend.

The heated print surface is an 1/8th inch thick solid piece of copper with kaptom tape.

It's been through many moves and much needs to be repaired, but it printed its first successful part just the other day!

When I start making parts for my current build, I'll make sure I share the files :)

BTW, love the guitar. There are three printers in my office and three guitars on the wall. ;)

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 1st Prusa has almost 5000 hours of printing, and its still going like a champ! I think I've opened up the hot end.... once.

yYFCHSN.jpg

Nice - Prussa are pretty reliable. Good quality printers

Since most of our parts are small - the bulk of our production is on slightly upgraded MP Minis. This one (Ironman) has been runnign nearly continuously (15-16 hours a day) since early 2017.
20190709_162253.jpg

of course they dont all last that long. but they not hard to fix :-D
20190531_141029.jpg

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that blue painters tape? I have been meaning to try that.

Stuff sticks really nice usually and then it doesn't which leads to some epic fails...

Nice - Prussa are pretty reliable. Good quality printers
Since most of our parts are small - the bulk of our production is on slightly upgraded MP Minis. This one (Ironman) has been runnign nearly continuously (15-16 hours a day) since early 2017.
of course they dont all last that long. but they not hard to fix :-D

Vivid Creative Aquatics

Upgrade Your Flow!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that blue painters tape? I have been meaning to try that.

Stuff sticks really nice usually and then it doesn't which leads to some epic fails...

yes - We've tried like a hundred different print surfacesand surface treatments and I just keep coming back to the tape for PETG. its' fast, cheep and if you get it dialed in can handle a really fast first layer with a part that has minimal surface area and still hold on to it. It works well with and without heat

it has it's drawbacks too, though. For instance if you your too close on the fist layer it can stick to you print, which can be tough to remove. Also, the texture it leaves on the print may or may not be what you're after depending on what you're printing

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still don't use tape. Used glue stick for a bit until I got my bed leveling down. I use hairspray on stuff that is very small or very thing and large.

I actually have more trouble getting things to release than I do sticking.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, use supports for the rim of the cup.

What he said :)

Depending on the printer ANYTHING with over a 50 degree overhang should use supports.

Some of us have had good luck with steeper overhangs but that comes from practice with speeds and such.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using glass and 3dlac here, but I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a Prusa. Having seen another locally with the Mk3, that springsteel pei sheet is a borderline game changer for the home user. That and I'm tired of fiddling constantly with this heavily modified tarantula, spend more time re-dialing it in then printing it seems.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using glass and 3dlac here, but I'm probably going to bite the bullet and get a Prusa. Having seen another locally with the Mk3, that springsteel pei sheet is a borderline game changer for the home user. That and I'm tired of fiddling constantly with this heavily modified tarantula, spend more time re-dialing it in then printing it seems.
3dlac that is one I haven't heard of. Is voxelfactory the only place to get it? I have a textured glass plate, its okay 99% of the time but I am always looking to improve.

I hear you on the fussing. It took way longer to get PETG dialed in on my printer then I would of liked. Some epic fails an hour in. Prusa makes it so easy as most everything is already taken care of with good support in all the slicers.

Kyl

And how does it feel like, to wake up in the sun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got it through voxel, still on the first can. It's basically glorified hair spray as far as I can tell.

Palluk33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK - I'll go against the grain here - make a slight design change to the cup. Make the bottom more like a dome , flip the part over and print it with NO supports :)
it will be faster and you wont have to clean much up.

What about the holes in the cup?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 15 68.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.5%
Back