4 or 6 bulbs?

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 6 bulb over an 18" wide tank and it's too much light almost. I have a 60" light on a 60" tank. Not sure the dimensions of a 55 off hand, but I believe the 6 bulb is 13" wide.

On the other hand you can always raise the lights up.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think four bulbs is plenty for a 55. I'd even go with a 36" fixture, you'll get just as much par on the side panels with a 36" wide as you will with a 48". You just won't have to clean the side glass as often.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a 4 bulb JBJ Trinity ATI 39W B+, C+, B+, and Actinic on a 65g. Works great for me. It was originally for a 40B, but that tank has since cracked.
65g is 2'x3'x18"

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to upgrade my 15g nano to a 40g 36x15x18 I plan to use a 4 bulb t5 fixture with some led strip lights front and back to add some shimmer. It will be a mixed reef with sps and lps.

Also honestly the fixture doesn't mean crap, you are led to believe this reflector or this and that. If you look at Glennf of dsr who has one of the most successful and stunning reef tanks out there he makes his own reflectors from some kind of aluminum foil. Cheap simple and again a stunning long lasting reef tank with spa growing so quick.

The only I would say is find a fixture that has two power cords so you can control the lighting that little bit better.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the dimensions of your tank? You wouldn't need to spend more than $200 on the fixture and say another $60-80 on bulbs

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a standard 55 48x13x21

Here in Australia our standards for tank size vary so much. There's a few basics but I assume vary much more than you guys. I've always wonder how you guys say this many gallon and everyone knows the dimensions haha.

Also I just googled the fixture you suggested and I don't see why not. Think about it this way a fixture only powers the bulb and keeps it in place that is literally it. Ofcourse a few things can come into play heat distribution and reflectors but as I mentioned above if a well known highly successful reefer makes his own reflectors from cheap aluminum I'm beginning to wonder about if fancy reflectors are really all their cracked up to be.

Does it have 2 power cords though? Not a necessity but nice to have.

Dtfnemo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it only has one cord and that wouldn’t be a bad idea

Yes they only have one cord, so if you plan on using a timer it will be all on or all off... that shouldn't be an issue.

The only thing that concerned me was them getting to hot, but someone out there say that they only get as hot as any other t5 fixture, I still plan on adding some small fans on them

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back