jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 40 gallon reef tank set up and it’s almost out of the cycling stage. I plan on keeping hardy corals in there and adding them once the tank is about 3-6 months old, or at least after the algae bloom stage is over. I am thinking of adding the following fish:
- 1x Clownfish: I want to add just one to limit aggression… any advice there?

- 3x Blue/green Chromis: I heard they like to be aggressive words eachother so I’m on the fence of getting them or not

- 1x shrimp pairing goby: probably a watchman, or pink spotted

-1x six-lined wrasse: I will add this last and look for a small one to purchase

- potential purchases: longnose hawkfish, flame hawkfish, blenny (is there any algae eating blenny?), jawfish. I won’t purchase all of these probably just a couple.
- I plan on adding a CUC as needed: algae eating snails, hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, carnivorous snails and a pistol shrimp for the goby
- I plan on getting Xenia, Zoanthids, mushroom, brain, toadstool and trumpet corals. Also what are good places for my coral to be mounted?

Anyone have any experience with these fish that are good and or bad? I would appreciate any advice even on corals to purchase. Also any recommendations to what fish I could stock in my tank that arnt on this list that could help eat unwanted pest would be appreciated too!

91A2DF71-E95C-4555-B647-9B999336ECD8.jpeg

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 40 gallon reef tank set up and it’s almost out of the cycling stage. I plan on keeping hardy corals in there and adding them once the tank is about 3-6 months old, or at least after the algae bloom stage is over. I am thinking of adding the following fish:
- 1x Clownfish: I want to add just one to limit aggression… any advice there? A pair are usually a bit more interesting. Just make sure to get two small guys (less than 1"). They will work out the pairing themselves without damage (usually).

- 3x Blue/green Chromis: I heard they like to be aggressive words eachother so I’m on the fence of getting them or not Personally, I like azure damselfish for this color. You can get 1 or two with that tank set up.

- 1x shrimp pairing goby: probably a watchman, or pink spotted Love this!

-1x six-lined wrasse: I will add this last and look for a small one to purchase I have never had one personally.

- potential purchases: longnose hawkfish, flame hawkfish, blenny (is there any algae eating blenny?), jawfish. I won’t purchase all of these probably just a couple. Careful with hawkfish as they like inverts and can get aggressive with smaller fish. Lawnmower blenny, starry blenny miller molly blenny are all great algae eaters. jawfish would be cool too. Just make sure to have a tight fitting lid. They love to jump out.
- I plan on adding a CUC as needed: algae eating snails, hermit crabs, cleaner shrimp, carnivorous snails and a pistol shrimp for the goby By carnivorous snails, do you mean like nassarius? Because any others you do not want in the tank.
- I plan on getting Xenia, Zoanthids, mushroom, brain, toadstool and trumpet corals. Also what are good places for my coral to be mounted?
Careful which brain corals you add. The leathers tend to have some issues with brains. Meaning they stunt growth and can kill them. Too much experience with that one. Zoas, brain, shrooms, can be low in the tank with filtered or low light and low flow. The xenia will be fine higher and higher flow. The trumpets will like medium light and low to medium flow. Not direct though.
Anyone have any experience with these fish that are good and or bad? I would appreciate any advice even on corals to purchase. Also any recommendations to what fish I could stock in my tank that arnt on this list that could help eat unwanted pest would be appreciated too!

91A2DF71-E95C-4555-B647-9B999336ECD8.jpeg
Looks good so far. Lots of good places for fish to hide. Talbot damsels are great little guys too. 1 or 2 in that tank. Good luck! Comments above in purple...

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combtooth type blennies eat algae.

I would probably skip the chromis (urenoma plagued fish) in favor of the other potential fish you have listed. Jawfish, blennies and hawkfish have a lot more personality.

Any percula or occy strain of clownish will stay smaller and less aggressive overall.

OP
OP
J

jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good so far. Lots of good places for fish to hide. Talbot damsels are great little guys too. 1 or 2 in that tank. Good luck! Comments above in purple...
Thanks! Ive never seen those Talbot damsels before, they look like a beautiful fish. Arnt damsels aggressive though? I would be worried because I want to add a wrasse and those are two potentially aggressive fish. I love the colors on the Talbot damsels though

OP
OP
J

jwilkey2468

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Combtooth type blennies eat algae.

I would probably skip the chromis (urenoma plagued fish) in favor of the other potential fish you have listed. Jawfish, blennies and hawkfish have a lot more personality.

Any percula or occy strain of clownish will stay smaller and less aggressive overall.
Thank you for the advice! Why would you skip the chromis exactly? Is it because that's 3 potential fish I could be adding instead?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice! Why would you skip the chromis exactly? Is it because that's 3 potential fish I could be adding instead?

Yes, they are pretty boring compared to your other fish lised.... and they are prone to Uronema. A disease that can not be removed once in your display tank. I see them come in the bags with these marks all the time at the LFS and the ones without marks are likely infected too.

Consider the springers damsel. They are one of the least feisty damsels you can get.

shakacuz

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
- potential purchases: longnose hawkfish, flame hawkfish, blenny (is there any algae eating blenny?), jawfish. I won’t purchase all of these probably just a couple.
there is indeed an algae eating blenny. a good alternative is a court jester goby. eats algae as well.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back