40 gallon breeder club

treedog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just my 2cents but there is no way you need to be dosing when you only have 2 or 3 corals in your tank.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if my alk is that low? Never dosed anything before so trying to wrap my head around it. Now there is a possibility of testing error for the alk test that i have im not a 100% certain that i am doing it right so maybe time for a different one.

brett_schn

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone have one radion xr30 gen 3 pro over their 40b. That’s the light I’m getting for my new 40b and wondering if anyone else uses it. If not which lights do you guys run?

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Havent posted anything on here for awhile thought id try and update the log. Things went downhill for a month or 2 lost all fish and cyano took over but as of the last 2 months i have gotten things under control only a few spots of cyano here n there but nothing aggressive. Been doing 5g weekly water changes and my water test came back pretty good lastnight cal 400 mg 1150 alk 7 ph 8.2 nitrate 2 salinity 1.024 temp 78-80.
Currently have one clownfish and a ywg along with a pistol shrimp that the goby has yet to find. Couple zoa frags a scolly and some newly added gsp. I fed reef roids for the first time last friday i only plan to do thins once a week to prevent a nutrient spike. Pretty happy with how things are progressing as of late ill look to be adding some more frags and livestock in a few weeks assuming things keep running well.
903a7cded10b98d7943494914b1b2005.jpg
fd9b28fa7568d978efd2ad56243b268a.jpg
6ef5a132cb962cafc17d181e1a0cd725.jpg
fc87e9a5aa533f5252dbc4dfbf8983d9.jpg

Pictures are aggressively blue because might whites had just kicked off but you get the idea lol thanks for taking a look[emoji482]

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on bout the same age as mine. You have alot of coralline algae going on is why i asked. I am just now starting to see purple spots sprout up on most of my rocks, but i did start with all dry rock though.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine! 40g breeders have, imo, the best dimensions for smaller tanks.
I turned the return pump off so the MH shimmer didnt mess with the focus of the cell camera... thats why the water level is low.
20171104_192538.jpg

Legal Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interested in following along with you guys. I have a 7.5 gal. Nano right now that has only been up for two months. Just recently had a petco open in our town and couldn't pass up the dollar per gallon sale. I picked up a 40 breeder and 20 long
Screenshot_20171027-155947.png
Screenshot_20171027-155947.png
Screenshot_20171027-155933.png
. I am on a tight budget right now, so i'll just watch all of you and learn until I can start setting up.

Screenshot_20170929-105233.png

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's mine! 40g breeders have, imo, the best dimensions for smaller tanks.
I turned the return pump off so the MH shimmer didnt mess with the focus of the cell camera... thats why the water level is low.
20171104_192538.jpg
Nice looking tank MHs really give you some nice color there

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank MHs really give you some nice color there
The Radium bulb on an M80 ballast is hard to beat. It doesn't have the same level florescent pop that blue LEDs have, but I have actinic and blue T5s that help with that. Still considering a single strip of royal blue LEDs for supplement.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a separate thread for some help but not getting as much feed back as i would like so ill make a post here as well to get some more eyes on it. Been having issues with my tank for the past month and a half or so. Started with a cyano outbreak converted to a green mat on the sand and cyano on the rocks and now i might have a dino out break or it could just be diatoms there is brown dust on everything that blows/scrubs right off and the sand is brown with air bubbles in it. None of my zoas are opened up and my gsp is clammed up tight. I have a scolly down on the sand that just looks ok probably a little deflated. I dont really know where to go with this my zoas are definitely melting away and cant seem to stop it. On top of that my skimmer pump died over the weekend.
So a little more info here...i think where this all started was i replaced a bag of chemi pure elite and started feeding reef roids once a week. I really feel this is where i started to see my issues maybe a week or two after i started the reef roids and replace the chemi pure. I believe the gfo in the chemi pure stripped my water and caused and outbreak of some sort. For the past 3 weeks or so i have been doing weekly water changes along and scrubbing and stirring the sand just about every day next day it looks just as bad. I pulled the chemipure and put in a bag of regular carbon just incase there is anything unsavory floating around. And on top of that the water is a bit cloudy leading me to believe i have a bacteria bloom as well.
Water test last night came back as
Temp: 81.4
Nitrate: maybe 1 not sure i may have been imagining the pink hue (red sea test)
Salt: 1.026 (refractometer)
Alk: 7 (red sea test no pro so probably very inaccurate)
Phos: 0 maybe (API test so also probably inaccurate
I didnt have time to test the calc or mag because a colicy 9 week old makes it tough to do things :confused:.
Im wondering if i shouldnt start dosing in some nutrients that is the only thing i can think because my system is nutrient starved and some unsavory stuff is taking over. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started a separate thread for some help but not getting as much feed back as i would like so ill make a post here as well to get some more eyes on it. Been having issues with my tank for the past month and a half or so. Started with a cyano outbreak converted to a green mat on the sand and cyano on the rocks and now i might have a dino out break or it could just be diatoms there is brown dust on everything that blows/scrubs right off and the sand is brown with air bubbles in it. None of my zoas are opened up and my gsp is clammed up tight. I have a scolly down on the sand that just looks ok probably a little deflated. I dont really know where to go with this my zoas are definitely melting away and cant seem to stop it. On top of that my skimmer pump died over the weekend.
So a little more info here...i think where this all started was i replaced a bag of chemi pure elite and started feeding reef roids once a week. I really feel this is where i started to see my issues maybe a week or two after i started the reef roids and replace the chemi pure. I believe the gfo in the chemi pure stripped my water and caused and outbreak of some sort. For the past 3 weeks or so i have been doing weekly water changes along and scrubbing and stirring the sand just about every day next day it looks just as bad. I pulled the chemipure and put in a bag of regular carbon just incase there is anything unsavory floating around. And on top of that the water is a bit cloudy leading me to believe i have a bacteria bloom as well.
Water test last night came back as
Temp: 81.4
Nitrate: maybe 1 not sure i may have been imagining the pink hue (red sea test)
Salt: 1.026 (refractometer)
Alk: 7 (red sea test no pro so probably very inaccurate)
Phos: 0 maybe (API test so also probably inaccurate
I didnt have time to test the calc or mag because a colicy 9 week old makes it tough to do things :confused:.
Im wondering if i shouldnt start dosing in some nutrients that is the only thing i can think because my system is nutrient starved and some unsavory stuff is taking over. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

I would opt for a hanna ultra low phosphorous checker and convert to phosphate. Those API test kits for phosphates are a joke. We want to keep phosphates ~0.02 ppm in idea situations and the API test starts at 0.25 - not low enough. Also, a lot of times, if you have a cyano or diatom outbreak, your phosphates will probably read as 0.00 since the algae is using it up as fast as its generated.

If it were me, I would stop the reef roids, and switch to a mix of good GFO and good GAC, but not too much. try to siphon out as much as you can. And most importantly, make sure the fresh water us use is good quality. PO4 and NO3 can come from tap water or bad/used up RODI filters.

OP
OP
Tokash23

Tokash23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice I know my tds is around 3 coming out and new filters are on my list of things to purchase. Naturally i need alot of things at once including new salt and a pump for my skimmer. I have since stopped the reef roids and i had plucked the chemipure elite which had gfo in it do you think i should get another one and throw it in? And should i resume regular water changes (once a week) or even up the frequency?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back