40b suitable for tang?

Seth fhy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 40 gallon breeder display tank with a 20 gallon sump, are there any tangs suitable for my setup? If so what kind? If not then I guess I will stick with smaller fish. Thanks

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow eye kole tang in mine. It's a very happy fish

dmort

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally people will say no tangs in a tank shorter than 6 foot. It isn't water volume, its distance available for swimming as they swim a lot in the wild. The yellow eye kole tang might do ok a for a while in a 40 gallon breeder. Many will comment on how you need a tank that can accomdate the fish for its lifetime - so starting with a small tank isn't a great move.

This all said, I'm sure there are people who have sucessfully kept a variety of different types of tanks that were undersized. However, a 40g breeder is def. undersized for most tangs. I'd stick with the kole tang idea or think of something else.

If you are looking for a show fish - something more impressive, a coral beauty or a flame angel might be better choices. But then again a small kole tang would likely be happy.

On another note, I have a 55 gallon and find it frusturating as really all you can keep are fish that could be happy in a 40 or in a 30 long, or a nuvo 38, -> basically large nano tank sized fish. I think you need to step up to 75 gallons to be able to start thinking about larger tank fish. And 75, frusturatingly again, is likely the minium. Still, to my wife's disbelief, a small tank.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bristletooth tang family will be happier in your tank then any of the others. Tomini, two spot, kole and white tail bristletooth would be the ones I would consider.

Small triggers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just say, almost any fish in its tiny baby size is okay in a 40g... But it's the long run that counts...
What will you do with it when it gets to big? Even bristle tooth tangs will be to large in a year or 3...
If you have a good contingency plan for rehoming or upgrading then sure... But if those are still questions I would go with the Pygmy angels dmort suggested...

DrBoxedWine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i agree on the Pygmy angels. My 75g i worry is going to be too small for my Kole tang at some point.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to agree, I believe a tang just gets too big, we had a near adult size kole tang in our 75 at work, looked HUGE in there. Like others have said a baby might work for a while but eventually and probably rather quickly would outgrow that tank.

I think dwarf angels look like mini tangs almost though :)

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back