jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my suggestion is this:
drill now or not at all. it will be so much work to drain the tank move it drill it then set back up.

sounds like you are on a pretty tight budget so I would just go with a HOB filter and call it a day. maybe two smaller one vs one big one?

there will be so many things to buy like heater, lights, rock, sand, ATO, Fish corals if you go that way. it all adds up fast.

what are you going to do for water? buy RODI or make it. save the $$ for drilling and get a small RODI unit you will be happy you did.
with water changes 10% every week = 4 gal HOB filter and a HOB skimmer you will be fine
I ran a 40br holding talk like that for year while we where doing reno on the new house.

good luck let us know if you have an questions.
I’m pretty sure my family has one for drinking water I’m not sure if there are different types or if it will work but I will include a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 56
OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my suggestion is this:
drill now or not at all. it will be so much work to drain the tank move it drill it then set back up.

sounds like you are on a pretty tight budget so I would just go with a HOB filter and call it a day. maybe two smaller one vs one big one?

there will be so many things to buy like heater, lights, rock, sand, ATO, Fish corals if you go that way. it all adds up fast.

what are you going to do for water? buy RODI or make it. save the $$ for drilling and get a small RODI unit you will be happy you did.
with water changes 10% every week = 4 gal HOB filter and a HOB skimmer you will be fine
I ran a 40br holding talk like that for year while we where doing reno on the new house.

good luck let us know if you have an questions.
My family has a reverse osmosis for drinking water. I don’t know if there is a different type that I need but I have a photo. Lmk if u need more photos or something else

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update I just got a Tidal 75 form my local fish store. My next step will probably be to get a heater. I’m going to try and get a fluval e200 but I’ve heard they are pretty hard to find rn. I think I’m going to start building a stand soon. I’ll post Amon there update hopefully soon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 36

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update I just got a Tidal 75 form my local fish store. My next step will probably be to get a heater. I’m going to try and get a fluval e200 but I’ve heard they are pretty hard to find rn. I think I’m going to start building a stand soon. I’ll post Amon there update hopefully soon.
Go with the eheim jagar 125watt Amazon

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are sticking with HOB equipment? In that case, my Macro Aqua M-50 skimmer worked quite well in my opinion after breaking in (but it's the only skimmer I've ever used so I have nothing else to compare it to). Try attaching an inlet screen to the intake though.

Also, what type of marine aquarium are you planning on setting up?
Fish Only (FO)?
Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR)?
Reef (Corals)?
Planted (Macroalgae, Mangroves, Seagrass)?
Something else?

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you are sticking with HOB equipment? In that case, my Macro Aqua M-50 skimmer worked quite well in my opinion after breaking in (but it's the only skimmer I've ever used so I have nothing else to compare it to). Try attaching an inlet screen to the intake though.

Also, what type of marine aquarium are you planning on setting up?
Fish Only (FO)?
Fish Only with Live Rock (FOWLR)?
Reef (Corals)?
Planted (Macroalgae, Mangroves, Seagrass)?
Something else?

Thanks for the tip. I was looking to get that skimmer but it’s good to know someone has it and likes it.
I was thinking of doing a tank with corals and fish but I may just start out with just fish for a bit to get used to taking care of a saltwater tank.

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I haven’t posted in a bit. I have another update. I just got 40 pounds of substrate. I just when with a random one, I don’t know if there are different types or if there is a different one I need. Also I am probably getting a stand and a heater within the week and live rock over the weekend. I should have the tank up and running during next week. Also I know most of the fish I want to stock. There are a few that I want but don’t know if they will work. Here is the list:

Ocellaris clownfish
Bangaii Cardinal fish
Green Mandarin Goby
Fire fish (or dart fish)
Pygmy angel fish
Yellow watchman goby
Some type of shark
Some type of pufferfish

If someone could let me know if there are any types of shark and pufferfish that would work that would be super helpful. Also I know this is one or two more fish than you are supposed to have in a 40 gal but I hope it will work. If there is anything else I should know or anything else let me know.

Attachments

• 157D3A64-F866-49D1-81D1-21398C089A1F.jpeg
    157D3A64-F866-49D1-81D1-21398C089A1F.jpeg
    242.7 KB · Views: 53

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris clownfish
Bangaii Cardinal fish
Green Mandarin Goby
Fire fish (or dart fish)
Pygmy angel fish
Yellow watchman goby
Some type of shark
Some type of pufferfish

If someone could let me know if there are any types of shark and pufferfish that would work that would be super helpful. Also I know this is one or two more fish than you are supposed to have in a 40 gal but I hope it will work. If there is anything else I should know or anything else let me know.
I am no expert, but here is what I know/have heard.

Sharks DO NOT belong in a 40 gallon aquarium (even the brackish catfish that are sometimes called sharks). I would say that small “true” sharks may only be kept in a minimum 360 gallon aquarium.

As for puffers, your choices are limited and you will need high filtration. You could try to acclimate the Green spotted puffer (Dichotomyctere nigroviridis) to marine salinities (it might terrorize your other fish though). You could also try the Canthigaster puffers which are less aggressive. If you decide to keep a puffer, make sure to give them shelled foods to wear down their ever growing teeth (ex. clam on a half shell) and remember that they might eat your invertebrates.

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but here is what I know/have heard.

Sharks DO NOT belong in a 40 gallon aquarium (even the brackish catfish that are sometimes called sharks). I would say that small “true” sharks may only be kept in a minimum 360 gallon aquarium.

As for puffers, your choices are limited and you will need high filtration. You could try to acclimate the Green spotted puffer (Dichotomyctere nigroviridis) to marine salinities (it might terrorize your other fish though). You could also try the Canthigaster puffers which are less aggressive. If you decide to keep a puffer, make sure to give them shelled foods to wear down their ever growing teeth (ex. clam on a half shell) and remember that they might eat your invertebrates.
Thank you for the help and recommendations!

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is finally up and running! I have started the cycling process. I have 20lbs of live rock and will get another 20 next Tuesday. I got all my saltwater for local fish stores and I bought some BioDigest and Fritzzyme 9 from Amazon to get some bacteria in there. Rn I’m looking for led lights that are under $100 dollars and I need some suggestions. I’m going to get some invertebrates in a week to help the nitrogen cycle speed up a bit. Will probably update in a week.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 40

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is finally up and running! I have started the cycling process. I have 20lbs of live rock and will get another 20 next Tuesday. I got all my saltwater for local fish stores and I bought some BioDigest and Fritzzyme 9 from Amazon to get some bacteria in there. Rn I’m looking for led lights that are under $100 dollars and I need some suggestions. I’m going to get some invertebrates in a week to help the nitrogen cycle speed up a bit. Will probably update in a week.
Great work! I cannot wait to witness the heights this build might reach!

Here are a few tips:
- Make sure your live rock is free of air bubbles (shake them out, you only need to do this once when you introduce them).
- When aquascaping, make sure your rocks touch the aquarium’s bottom pane of glass with their edges. If they are laid flat on the sand, burrowers might topple your scape and detritus will build up underneath the rocks.
- I see your electrical wires have drip loops. Make sure they stay that way (water + outlet = BAD).
- Is you heater oriented vertically? It should be placed diagonally at the center of the back pane of glass (better heat dispersion).
- Make sure to clean your lids often, free of salt creep.
- You should increase the amount of flow (upwards of 40x your tank’s volume per hour) running through your aquarium, through the use of powerheads or wavemakers (make sure to avoid laminar flow). This will help with aeration and mimic a natural reef’s turbulent environment, at the expense of more frequent freshwater top off, however.

I love my controllable Finnex Planted+ 24/7 on my planted marine aquarium, though it is probably not be the best choice for a reef aquarium and costs over $100 on Amazon.

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! It has been a week since I have gotten the tank up and running. I went to the petco today with the intent to get some invertebrates b/c the article I read on cycling said invertebrates instead of fish. When I got there and started talking to a staff member he said he would recommend getting some hardy fish instead of invertebrates. He said he has had a better experience and has had better luck with cycling with fish. So I ended up getting two ocelleris clownfish. I’m not sure which way I should have gone but we will see.My next steps will be to just let the cycle happen and do testing every day for about three weeks and also to get some power heads for some better water circulation and a light. I have a light picked out that I found on Amazon for $50. I don’t know how great it is. I may do a little more searching to find one a bit better. The reviews seemed good but who knows. I don’t have powerheads picked out yet but I’ll do a little searching. I guess my next update will be when I start to see major changes in ammonia and nitrates.

$50 Light

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 38

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! It has been a week since I have gotten the tank up and running. I went to the petco today with the intent to get some invertebrates b/c the article I read on cycling said invertebrates instead of fish. When I got there and started talking to a staff member he said he would recommend getting some hardy fish instead of invertebrates. He said he has had a better experience and has had better luck with cycling with fish. So I ended up getting two ocelleris clownfish. I’m not sure which way I should have gone but we will see.My next steps will be to just let the cycle happen and do testing every day for about three weeks and also to get some power heads for some better water circulation and a light. I have a light picked out that I found on Amazon for $50. I don’t know how great it is. I may do a little more searching to find one a bit better. The reviews seemed good but who knows. I don’t have powerheads picked out yet but I’ll do a little searching. I guess my next update will be when I start to see major changes in ammonia and nitrates.

$50 Light
Cycling with fish puts great stress on said organisms, so perhaps you could add some bacteria in a bottle to speed up the cycle. Hopefully, all goes well. I, personally, would have used the “shrimp” method (let a frozen seafood shrimp rot for a few days in the aquarium to start the cycle). Also, please do not buy an anemone for the clownfish until you tank has “matured” (6 - 12 months).

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

$50 Light
Hygger is a good brand. Definitely would recommend some bacteria in a bottle help free up the ammonia also having high ammonia will reduce oxygen in tank so you do want more surface flow up top to increase oxygen while going through your cycle. When you can get a bottle of this Bacteria in bottle and you can go with some Of these power heads that are controlled good luck!

TxReefer21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hygger is a good brand. Definitely would recommend some bacteria in a bottle help free up the ammonia also having high ammonia will reduce oxygen in tank so you do want more surface flow up top to increase oxygen while going through your cycle. When you can get a bottle of this Bacteria in bottle and you can go with some Of these power heads that are controlled good luck!
Sorry for some reason wouldn’t direct my URL quotes to Amazon

Attachments

• 687C205A-F34B-4CC1-A1E6-78B57855D15A.png
    687C205A-F34B-4CC1-A1E6-78B57855D15A.png
    344.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 9223FC7C-BAF9-4300-B93A-0BCE97C04A46.png
    9223FC7C-BAF9-4300-B93A-0BCE97C04A46.png
    396.1 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycling with fish puts great stress on said organisms, so perhaps you could add some bacteria in a bottle to speed up the cycle. Hopefully, all goes well. I, personally, would have used the “shrimp” method (let a frozen seafood shrimp rot for a few days in the aquarium to start the cycle). Also, please do not buy an anemone for the clownfish until you tank has “matured” (6 - 12 months).
I bought some bacteria back when I first got the tank up. I got Some biodigest and fritz 9. So there should be some bacteria in the tank. Also thanks for the tip on coral I wasn’t really sure when I could get coral so this helps

OP
OP
jfriedell15

jfriedell15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I was doing some testing tonight and everything was normal. Ph was 7 ,ammonia was 0 and nitrites were 0 but I got to nitrates and it was at 40 ppm. Is this normal? Should I do a water change? I don’t have a picture but I can do another test if it would be helpful.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I was doing some testing tonight and everything was normal. Ph was 7 ,ammonia was 0 and nitrites were 0 but I got to nitrates and it was at 40 ppm. Is this normal? Should I do a water change? I don’t have a picture but I can do another test if it would be helpful.
I would say yes (maybe 50%?). That skimmer I mentioned earlier should also help by removing proteins before they break down. Just remember to turn it off when you use additives, such as bacteria in a bottle (wait around 48 hours perhaps).

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 112 57.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 70 36.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.9%
Back