40g breeder build

sciknen

Merrimack Valley Hardcore
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey hows it going.

I've taken a long break from posting on this site and my local site. I've been real busy with work and school. I've greatly negelected my tank, due to the fact of uncontrollable algea.

I have been planning on replacing the tank and starting from scratch with a cube. But I got a great deal on a 40 breeder and it is what i can afford. I am going to be getting rid of all the rock and sand, and selling off the corals as well. I have 4 fish now. Will probably be only keeping my leopard wrasse. Not sure yet. I want to do a few wrasses and a bunch of pj cardinals. I need to see this thing up with water to figure out how much fish I can keep. I will be replacing the rock and sand with stuff from Marco, as he is local to me. I'm planning on mostly LPS. I want lots of movement and some zoas and chalices.

Here is the plan
Tank
I need to drill two drain holes, 1 main 1 emergency. And a 3rd hole for the return.

Stand
I need to build my stand. Going to be building a metal stand. 2x2" 11g square tubing also going to skin it with wood. Need to find good magnets for this. Any advice? Going to be picking up the majority of the stock tomorrow. And borrowed my buddies mig to weld it up.

Equip
Going to be reusing my skimmer, nice octopus. And my return pump mag9. Using my same original ATO.
I would like to buy a mp40 and use one of my koralias on the other end. I also need to grab a second 20 breeder for a sump. I need to figure out between a kalk or calcium reactor. Never used either. I might be reusing my aquacontroller jr or upgrading to the apex so I can program the led with it. Not sure if its worth the money.

Lighting
I will be going DIY LED setup from reefledlights.com. Looking forward to it. I have a little experience wiring so I think I can handle it. I plan on getting the 36 led setup and making my own fixture.

What do you guys think? advice? criticism?

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like a great plan! I might rethink the mp40 and do 2 mp10's.

OP
OP
sciknen

sciknen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? You think they would be enough? I've never used either of them. I would rather have the 2 mp10s and no koralias. I think it would look a heck of a lot better.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two MP10's in my 40Br, it's definitely plenty IMO.

OP
OP
sciknen

sciknen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the wireless? Is it worth it if I only have 2.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the wireless ones. This is because my reef nook is directly behind the tank itself.. so I didn't have a need. I find that two MP10's are more than enough for any 40Br tank you're looking to set up. I started out with one for my softy dominating tank, but then added another one to introduce some variance in the flows.

butts182

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i run 2 mp40s on my 40b at 50 percent, so 2 mp10s would be enough for lps

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran 2 mp10s on mine, plus the return pump, it was plenty of flow, no need for the 40. Unless, you plan on upgrading, then go ahead and get the 40.

Aloha Corals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 10s on a 40b at 100%. I have a 10 & a 40 on another bare bottom 40b, both at 100%.

The mp40 is as low as possible on the bare bottom 40b.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
sciknen

sciknen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know. Good to know. I'm thinking the two mp10s should be enough. For mostly lps at least.

I picked up the metal stock for the stand tonight.

Ended up with 1X2" square. 33ft of it. Cost 80 bucks.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back