5 Gallon stocking question

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a deskmate 4.8 and was curious on stocking recommendations. I've seen many conflicting views and wanted to get an updated answer from the community. As of right now I am looking at a tailspot blenny, yasha goby/pistol shrimp combo, clown goby, or possibly a firefish although I have seen mixed opinions on those. I was also curious on recommended invert stocking. Will be posting a build thread soon.

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a deskmate 4.8 and was curious on stocking recommendations. I've seen many conflicting views and wanted to get an updated answer from the community. As of right now I am looking at a tailspot blenny, yasha goby/pistol shrimp combo, clown goby, or possibly a firefish although I have seen mixed opinions on those. I was also curious on recommended invert stocking. Will be posting a build thread soon.
I’d leave a firefish and tailspot, wayyy too small for them. A clown goby may be doable. Your best bet is an invert dominated tank. Some sexy shrimp, maybe hermits, or snails. I think a wheelers goby can be done as well

Upvote 0

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many fish at all should be put into that small tank, once you add your rock and any equipment, , the available swimming space will be half the space. Blennies like to swim, should not be in a small confined space. The firefish grows to about 3"+, and that tank is what, about 6" across lol?

Like mentioned above, the best would be clown goby or a shrimp/goby combo, something that perches and doesn't really move around, but then, whats the point?

It would make a great invert tank IMO

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Sourdoh

Sourdoh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not many fish at all should be put into that small tank, once you add your rock and any equipment, , the available swimming space will be half the space. Blennies like to swim, should not be in a small confined space. The firefish grows to about 3"+, and that tank is what, about 6" across lol?

Like mentioned above, the best would be clown goby or a shrimp/goby combo, something that perches and doesn't really move around, but then, whats the point?

It would make a great invert tank IMO
The tank is basically a 1ftx1ft cube. I agree the firefish seems like it would outgrow the tank just wanted to confirm. I've seen people have a lot of success with the goby/shrimp combo as well as the tailspot blenny so out out of the choices those are what I'm leaning towards.

On the other side of things what inverts would you suggest if I did the invert only idea?

Upvote 0

Andreas' Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is basically a 1ftx1ft cube. I agree the firefish seems like it would outgrow the tank just wanted to confirm. I've seen people have a lot of success with the goby/shrimp combo as well as the tailspot blenny so out out of the choices those are what I'm leaning towards.

On the other side of things what inverts would you suggest if I did the invert only idea?
pom pom crabs, sexy shrimp, all kinds of feather dusters. Macroalgaes, porcelain crabs, pederson shrimp, urchins, cleaner shrimp. Anything but starfish and the dreaded arrow crab

Upvote 0

Allaric

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flaming Prawn Goby, Mini Dart Goby or possibly a Jester Goby could also work if you really want fish.

But I agree with some of the other folks that inverts sound best. You can pick crabs/shrimp that you wouldn't normally have available if you don't have any fish.

Nudibranchs are pretty cool if you don't like crabs.

Upvote 0

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back