60g Neurosis Stand

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is where my build begins. My hope is to keep the same footprint as my current tank, (24"X24") but gain a few useful features and unnecessary complexity. To define what I want to achieve, I would like to reach a point of being able to leave this tank for 1 month with no manual intervention of any sort, and not worry about the occupants. (spare for special foods) I have been in the process of accumulating the equipment, but I do not plan to purchase the tank itself until near the end of the build. (money/space) I have been extremely fortunate to have an opportunity to incorporate an apex/trident, with the major trouble of this being a lack of space under the tank. I refuse to run a separate controls cabinet if I can avoid it, so my designs so far have been attempting to cram 50lbs of stuff into a 25lb bag. Without blowing all of my gimmicks to my current design, below are some teasers. I am a tooling engineer professionally, so I am fortunate to be able to use solidworks to model every component of my proposed build while on my lunch breaks. (I think this has taken 40-50 so far) Unfortunately Neptune does not supply 3d models for any of their equipment, so I cant really compact too much of that just yet. I plan to get much closer fitting models as I have the time to measure all of the curves and angles of the apex family. I hope to be able to supply the models when completed, as I see a definite need for them in the community.
corner view.PNG

detail.PNG

Last edited:

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just make it a betta tank and you're good to go. :)

i like the idea of everything fitting, but the unexpected need to pull things out also is equally important. main pump, filter socks, sump detritus, etc. i also hate to have and move 3 things to get to a fourth - especially when the first 3 things never need to otherwise move, and the fourth is a weekly item. good luck!

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done my build planning in SketchUp and have some stuff on their Warehouse website. If you can convert it over to Solidworks it might help you out some.

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just make it a betta tank and you're good to go. :)

i like the idea of everything fitting, but the unexpected need to pull things out also is equally important. main pump, filter socks, sump detritus, etc. i also hate to have and move 3 things to get to a fourth - especially when the first 3 things never need to otherwise move, and the fourth is a weekly item. good luck!
I'm glad you should mention removing items haha, that's one of the gimmicks! The whole sump and controller panel slide out the front! On one side you have full access to plugs and controllers, the other is full access to the sump's contents! As it stands my ATO reservoir is under the sump, and this saves a ton of room. obviously it eliminates the ability to clean your ato tank, but I don't know anyone who does that anyways.... its hard to tell with the transparent parts, but the 3 slender tanks in front of the sump are intended to hold a gallon each of 2 part and for trident waste water. Also you will notice that to remove a 21" Skimmer its just a matter of tilting it out and lifting. Not a ton of extra room, but there is plenty for a large return pump or 2 smaller, and a decent area for caeto or media reactors. I still need to find a spot for various dosing bottles and tools and fish food..... Also actually making this sump will be a bear, but I will hopefully have everything sorted before I get anywhere near 3/8" acrylic
controller side out.PNG

Sump side out.PNG

sunken3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you should mention removing items haha, that's one of the gimmicks! The whole sump and controller panel slide out the front! On one side you have full access to plugs and controllers, the other is full access to the sump's contents! As it stands my ATO reservoir is under the sump, and this saves a ton of room. obviously it eliminates the ability to clean your ato tank, but I don't know anyone who does that anyways.... its hard to tell with the transparent parts, but the 3 slender tanks in front of the sump are intended to hold a gallon each of 2 part and for trident waste water. Also you will notice that to remove a 21" Skimmer its just a matter of tilting it out and lifting. Not a ton of extra room, but there is plenty for a large return pump or 2 smaller, and a decent area for caeto or media reactors. I still need to find a spot for various dosing bottles and tools and fish food..... Also actually making this sump will be a bear, but I will hopefully have everything sorted before I get anywhere near 3/8" acrylic
controller side out.PNG

Sump side out.PNG
nice.. i recently completed a 40 gallon with sump - all the bells and whistles that i could roll around my garage (as I am redoing things and didn't know where it would end up).

glad you're thinking a few steps ahead!!

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fronter.PNG
slid.PNG

slid2.PNG

back.PNG

A ton of little changes, namely
- more attention to sensor and power wires, and keeping them separated
-Power system to run 4 apex ports to rear of tank, for devices such as lights, powerheads, fans, etc.
-a few more inches of sliding travel to help remove any reason to open side panels
-wire management cubicles to store power bricks and excess cables
-dosing container sizing and placement, 3 chambers, 2part +trident waste
-Significant cost reduction by using larger more common brackets. Doesn't look as nice but it is just as strong, and cost a ton less
-Sump time.... lots of time spent here. I wanted 3 compartments+ ATO and a decent amount of tank drain capacity.
+room for an absolutely oversized skimmer for a 60g cube
+decent sized refugium
+large return pump chamber
+tube routing to stop kink from forming when sliding out the sump.
+5g ATO reservoir, not ideal placement, but this is the best spot without making something else hard to access.
>this needs a system for filling that does not require sliding out the sump, I have a few ideas
-air flow... this isn't fully developed, but my hope is I can provide a route for fresh air to reach the control fans, without sucking mist or moisture from the sump or tank. Much easier said than done, and I cant finish this without everything else being set in stone

YET TO DESIGN/PLAN:
>route ato fill line/funnel
>Air ducting for controls
>mounts for rear power box
>mounts for head unit, DOS, module boxes, and dosing reservoirs.
>develop sump tube routing a bit more/ save room there
Handle for pulling out sump
>find a 60g cube tank with this kind of overflow. It is based on the Innovative marine EXT line
>get my 3d printer ready to make some large parts for mounts.... a lot of time needed here
>possibly find a source for making this custom sump out of 5/16" acrylic

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on this build?

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the aluminum a few days back from tnutz.com for a huge savings vs 80/20. They were experiencing a shortage of the 1515 profile, so my shipment was delayed. So far I have been happy with tnutz.com, as customer service was quite fast. My opinion may spoil if this order gets delayed for a long enough time, given its stated arrival date was supposed to be today. I have been frantically trying to finish another large project to make room in my workshop for the impending explosion of aluminum and hardware as I start to build this. That entailed hand planing a huge slab of black walnut, and I just need to get polyurethane onto it. Note to others: black walnut wood is semi toxic to dogs. My dog chewed on a chip and was zooted for about a day after. Very lethargic and slow. I'm glad he didn't eat/chew too much. I can't imagine anyone reading this will ever need to worry about that, but there isn't much out there documenting it. I have reached out to a few local places to see if anyone would make me an external overflow such as the one I have modeled, with no luck. I may have to concede and accept that I need something inside the tank for the overflow.. .... I am also looking into the possibility of bending 80/20 extrusion in a large radius to make my light mount. My work has lot of machines, but they do not have a tube/sheet roller. I am trying to find a shop that will ruin some extrusion In the name of science.

Attachments

• IMG_20210131_155304.jpg
    IMG_20210131_155304.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 158

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making progress! Have you thought about having a custom tank built? That way you have the tank and overflow you want?

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure! Check out Glasscages, I was speaking to them about a custom 60 cube with an external overflow, until other more important expenses arose and my tank budget disappeared...

vabben

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go.
$580 24x24x24 custom rimless glass tank
$145 external coast to coast overflow
$85 Overflow cover
$45 3 bulkheads
$1,182 Modern Fine Furniture Level Red Oak Stand 30 Tall, Finished in Black or White, with Hinged Slow Stop Doors, Push to Open and Doors on both Short Sides
$2,037 Total custom build

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! Derry Girls was a great show :) I wont be moving very quick on the tank itself, as I have my 20g to tide me over. My plan is to make the stand and sump, get all my equipment installed, and at that point I will be ready to start putting the panels and getting the tank in the right location. My girlfriend wants me to get a few color sets of panels for decorating sake, but I plan to just get white in the near future, and other colors as the wallet/time allows haha

mylertitchell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great show indeed! Yeah similar myself, have 13g and building a 3foot system (build thread on here too). But it’s hard not to get over excited. But look forward to getting the notification every whip for yours.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This place has curved extruded aluminum. :)

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ordered from misumi before, maybe I can pick up a sample..... I need to see if I can get a pretty large radius, in the model below, I put an 8.5" radius and I think I like where that leaves the light, a bit of room to push forward and back.

bent.PNG

bent covered.PNG

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice planning! You could also use a slider on the vertical part of the light support to be able to adjust the height of the light if you wanted or just to move it out of the way for maintenance. I put mine on a slider within the canopy to push it back out of the way.
IMG_7247.JPG

I wish I had thought about your sliding sump idea. Oh well, next time.

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I have to say seeing the details fall into place is pretty dang exciting! Of course some of these things may not work perfect outside of cad (such as curved extrusion...) but regardless, I am proud of how this is developing. After doing a bit of looking, I see a lot of aluminum extrusion stands with more water and less beefy extrusions, so it is very possible that this frame will be expanded by simply trading out the center extrusions for longer ones! That way I could keep the system 24" deep but expand the width. Makes the cost of the stand a little bit easier to justify to myself.... I will let you know if the sliding sump is worth the effort or if it is PITA lol
maintenance mode.PNG

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 54.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • None.

Votes: 15 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.8%

Back