60g Neurosis Stand

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I made up an external water vacuum I used silicone tubing and had the same "kinking" problem. I used this cable management plastic coil wire wrap around the tubing to help alleviate the sharp bends.
61BdYvDth8L._AC_UY218_.jpg

Just a thought, maybe it could help you out.

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely will give that a try! I was thinking at one point about just using clear silicone tube and wrapping it in this stuff, to slow the growth inside of it, but decided I would try to source some black silicone.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I made up an external water vacuum I used silicone tubing and had the same "kinking" problem. I used this cable management plastic coil wire wrap around the tubing to help alleviate the sharp bends.
61BdYvDth8L._AC_UY218_.jpg

Just a thought, maybe it could help you out.
Great solution!

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20210824_233110.jpg
IMG_20210824_233053.jpg

mostly taped. I am a bit nervous about the black silicone, it will be pretty obvious where the lines arent straight. I realized now that I didn't have a plan for the return pump chamber, so I need to whip one up, coming soon.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go.
$580 24x24x24 custom rimless glass tank
$145 external coast to coast overflow
$85 Overflow cover
$45 3 bulkheads
$1,182 Modern Fine Furniture Level Red Oak Stand 30 Tall, Finished in Black or White, with Hinged Slow Stop Doors, Push to Open and Doors on both Short Sides
$2,037 Total custom build
do you have a pic of the stand?

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an acrylic sump, silicone is 98% cosmetic, 2% peace of mind
I bought a used acrylic sump. After a month or so, it started to leak. What I found out was the guy pulled a fast one and sealed it with silicone just to sell it. The silicone had came loose and I was able to remove it with no effort. I understand you are doing it for cosmetic, but I have a feeling over time it will come loose and look bad.

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herrrm yeah you are probably right. I wonder if there is some kind of paint that I could use instead
maybe some type of epoxy that you can add color and shape it like silicone. I think your best bet is buying a colored acrylic sheet maybe 1/2" thick. Cut it at a 45 then glue it at the seams. Not only does it look good, but added strength. This should be easy for someone your skill. You can order colored acrylic at eplastics.com

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, had I been thinking, just using colored acrylic for the gussets I installed a few days ago would have been a good move. While I appreciate the "someone of your skill" I have to say my acrylic welding needs a lot of practice lol. I will have a look around for an epoxy that may be suitable. I may end up just Sanding the faces of the acrylic that are taped off to enable adhesion from silicone. Not sure if that would work

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been redesigning my flex tubing to avoid kinking, and to make things more manageable and less likely to individually kink, I designed and printed these tube retainers. It forces the tube walls to keep shape and not crush. As a result it also makes it harder to bend, I haven't decided if that is good or bad yet, but I may have to adjust the spacing or add more retainers to give the tube enough structure.
IMG_20210927_072001.jpg

Last edited:

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been redesigning my flex tubing to avoid kinking, and to make things more manageable and less likely to individually kink, I designed and printed these tube retainers. It forces the tube walls to keep shape and not crush. As a result it also makes it harder to bend, I haven't decided if that is good or bad yet, but I may have to adjust the spacing or add more retainers to give the tube enough structure.
IMG_20210927_072001.jpg
You got a beautiful setup with very nice sump. Black flexible tubing? IMO, doesn't look right with what you got. I personally would stick with colored pvc. If you're trying to avoid elbows and 45's, maybe try your hand had heating pvc and bending it. It will look aesthetically better. Also, you don't have to order colored pvc from BRS. Your orange box store caries it as well.

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Sleepingtiger Thanks for the complements, unfortunately due to the slide out sump, I don't really have a choice to use silicone flex. I had orange PVC for part of this, but I needed more room for flex, so it has been removed. I really liked how the hard lines looked

@Reefer Reboot this is 19mm ID (~.75")

OP
OP
MadeForThat

MadeForThat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20211005_074215.jpg

Still not quite able to push it back in without kinking slightly. I will be ordering some of the wire spiral stuff to help with this. Really pleased with how this fits in place. In hindsight I should have drilled holes in my first baffle to get the tubing lower into the sump and against the back wall more. The return pump will be slightly obscured by the orange lines, but they will not be cemented and can be removed if required to remove return pump. That's the beauty of these connections, I don't care if they leak! There is just enough room to fit in the wire management trays that will handle both sensor/signal wires independent of AC power cables (skimmer might be the only pure AC device, but I don't know what light the refuge gets yet) I would have preferred not to impede where I plan to put an ATO lid, but my only other option for mounting this tube block was on the control panel wall, and that would have been much more bulky to be as strong.

Staghorn

Original Reef Gangster
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing so far. I know it wouldn’t look as sleak but have you considered adding a 45 or two to the vinyl hoses, that may give you some more play in the hoses when the sump slides back

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 53 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back