60x36x24 225g Deep Dimension Vortech recommendation

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 60x36x24 (.5" Glass) aquarium and I am going to be upgrading to the new QD pumps. I was running 4 x MP40wES but I switched to the Gyre pumps and I am not entirely happy. I am planning on moving back to vortech pumps, but I am looking for a recommendation. I have used the calculator and I know what it recommends. With my tank being deeper and my rockwork being more in the center of the tank rather than against the back wall, I am wondering if the 2 MP40 recommendation from the calculator is really sufficient. The MP40wES were OK, but the new QD pumps have significantly more flow.

So... what it boils down to is, should I be looking at (4) MP40wQD or (2) MP60wQD? ...Or (2) MP40wQD out front and supplement with more standard powerheads behind the rocks?

Thanks in advance!

Don

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much flow do you want? All SPS or mixed? I am a flow fanatic and have a gyre at 100% and a mp40 nearly 100% on my 120 and would like more flow. Personally I would think 2 mp60 would be the minimum I would have for a mixed reef tank on that size. I like the gyre, but without that I would run 2 mp60 on the sides and 3 mp40s on the back wall of that tank because of the depth. I should add that would by my ideal situation, although expensive. I would not run the pumps 100%, seems like much above 80% has been hard on them in the past long term (years).

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is somewhat mixed, but more SPS than LPS. I like a lot of flow, but I also don't want to create a sandstorm :) My 1 concern with the MP60 was that even at a "low" flow, it would be blowing sand everywhere...

Don

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and would go 2 MP40 in opposite corners and then run tunze pumps either in the other two corners facing diagonal twords the middle or in the middle of the back wall.

If your rock works not too tall 4 mp40s would work well. I needed that directing option or it would be too close to some corals.

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank and would go 2 MP40 in opposite corners and then run tunze pumps either in the other two corners facing diagonal twords the middle or in the middle of the back wall.

If your rock works not too tall 4 mp40s would work well. I needed that directing option or it would be too close to some corals.

Thats a great idea... I didn't even think of that. I have a center overflow I could put a powerhead on each side of the overflow facing away from the center towards each end of the aquarium. I really like that idea. With that in mind, the question is then do I get controllable powerheads (Tunze or otherwise) or just go with something fixed speed.....

Don

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always forget about overflow boxes, mines external. I like pulse mode, so I vote controllable. I have 6105's but think they could be a little stronger.

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't pushed the order button yet!!! Any other opinions/ideas?

Thanks!

Don

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 180 I run one MP60 and two MP40. The MP60 is in my top left in open water and the 2 MP40 are on the other side in the corners in anti sync mode. I don't have them turned up all the way because I have a mixed reef with some big LPS. If I didn't have the LPS I would turn them up a little more. I use them in Nutrient export mode for great growth and export of nutrients. Because you can set the flow on them so easily I would go for a little more and set them to what you need, then not have enough and need more. If price is an issue you can get away with 2 MP40 and save up for the MP60. That is what I did. In the end it really depends on what you want to keep. SPS with need more flow obviously vs LPS or soft.

OP
OP
dcmartinpc

dcmartinpc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I pulled the trigger on (1) MP60wQD! For now anyways... I will likely sell the MP40s I have to invest in another MP60 after I see what this thing can do... Then in another couple months I will probably pick up 2 Tunze 6105 to put on the overflow in the rear center. For now I will probably use a couple Jebao WP60 I have sitting around....

Thanks everyone for the advice!

Don

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back