OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe this was somewhere else in the post, I'm curious. Is this a rimless glass tank? 72"LX30"WX18"T?

Where did you add bracing? Was alot of bracing needed? How is the tank doing today? Any leaks since the build?

Sorry for the questions, I'm thinking of doing something similar and you seem to be the perfect person who's brain to pick about this.
Thank you for stopping in!

No leaks.

It's glass rimless 1/2 inch glass, siliconed together.

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you run bracing across the middle or the edges.
Negative ghost rider. No bracing it's 5 pieces of 1/2 inch glass.

There's an online calculator somewhere I used. It calculated a safety rating based on water depth and glass thickness using regular silicone.

Most tank manufacturers go to a certain value... Don't remember. But I tripled that because of my first time user error in running a clean beaded seam.

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an awesome tank. We're building a 200G acrylic right now and intend on building a 150' or 175' to replace our 120'reef tank as soon as I finish this 200G.

Trying to get any advice I can on glass.

There's alot of elbow grease that goes into an acrylic tank an looking at glass it seams so much faster and cleaner. No sanding to get seamless edges, so glue mess.. acrylic is alot of elbow grease, I think I'm going to get tendinitis if I keep this up..lol!!

Attachments

• 20240327_095305.jpg
    20240327_095305.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 20240327_140046.jpg
    20240327_140046.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's an awesome tank. We're building a 200G acrylic right now and intend on building a 150' or 175' to replace our 120'reef tank as soon as I finish this 200G.

Trying to get any advice I can on glass.

There's alot of elbow grease that goes into an acrylic tank an looking at glass it seams so much faster and cleaner. No sanding to get seamless edges, so glue mess.. acrylic is alot of elbow grease, I think I'm going to get tendinitis if I keep this up..lol!!
Awesome! I built my sump out of acrylic. And went almost braceless but it was bowing. So I had to add braces afterwards.

The glass is much stronger in that aspect.

What questions do you have advice wise on glass? Happy to help.

saltnewbie101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I built my sump out of acrylic. And went almost braceless but it was bowing. So I had to add braces afterwards.

The glass is much stronger in that aspect.

What questions do you have advice wise on glass? Happy to help.
Dude first off thank you for being willing to help!!

Second, none yet but in about a week or two I will have questions. And when that time comes I'm coming to you!! I gotta get the glass first and find that glass worksheet you referred to in one of your posts.

OP
OP
Nate Chalk

Nate Chalk

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude first off thank you for being willing to help!!

Second, none yet but in about a week or two I will have questions. And when that time comes I'm coming to you!! I gotta get the glass first and find that glass worksheet you referred to in one of your posts.
Aquarium safety factor calculator or something. Found it . Someone much smarter than I made a Google sheet for it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 97 76.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back