90 Display 55L Sump Stocking Idea

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank I am setting up and the longer I stare at it the longer I think “man would a reef look good in there” the idea here would be an agro reef so please let me know how hard and if possible the following stocking list would be.

* Two yellowtail damsels
* Powder Blue Tang
* Banana Eel
* Banana Wrasse
* Red Hawaiian Reef Lobster
* Yellow Tahitian Hawkfish
* Red Flame Hawkfish
* Coral Banded Shrimp

If you could also point out who the biggest trouble makers would be and possible substitutions that would be great. As you can probably tell, I would like to stick to a yellow, red and blue color scheme for the live stock. I’m not super set on the banana wrasse and yellow hawk I just think they look cool. I understand that I am going to be very limited in my CUC choices and the hawk(s) and wrasse (potentially the lobster too?) might pose a threat to the CBS but I would like some other opinions. Once again this is just an idea I would like more information on before seriously considering. Thank you! :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90 gallon tank I am setting up and the longer I stare at it the longer I think “man would a reef look good in there” the idea here would be an agro reef so please let me know how hard and if possible the following stocking list would be.

* Two yellowtail damsels
* Red Hawaiian Reef Lobster
* Red Flame Hawkfish
* Coral Banded Shrimp

If you could also point out who the biggest trouble makers would be and possible substitutions that would be great. As you can probably tell, I would like to stick to a yellow, red and blue color scheme for the live stock. I’m not super set on the banana wrasse and yellow hawk I just think they look cool. I understand that I am going to be very limited in my CUC choices and the hawk(s) and wrasse (potentially the lobster too?) might pose a threat to the CBS but I would like some other opinions. Once again this is just an idea I would like more information on before seriously considering. Thank you! :)
The Hawkfish and Powder Blue get too big, Also keeping ontop of the Eel’s bio load will get hard. The Banana wrasse will swim way too much. You can’t get anything from Hawaii now (Thanks to the ban) So that leaves you with:
* Yellow Tail Damsel x2
*CB Shrimp
* Red Flame Hawkfish

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hawkfish and Powder Blue get too big, Also keeping ontop of the Eel’s bio load will get hard. The Banana wrasse will swim way too much. You can’t get anything from Hawaii now (Thanks to the ban) So that leaves you with:
* Yellow Tail Damsel x2
*CB Shrimp
* Red Flame Hawkfish
The lfs I frequent actually has one of those lobsters they’ve supposedly had for a while. Do you think even with using a 55 gallon sump for a 90 gallon display it will be hard to keep up on the eels bioload? I’m not talking about buying a completely mature adult, I would definitely want a juvenile so I can watch it grow. I was also expecting the lobster and cbs (if they will get along) to pick up some of the uneaten food from the eel. Would a younger eel and scavengers for the uneaten food coupled with about 10% display weekly water changes not be enough? I’m not expecting to keep the most finicky of sps. As a matter of fact, the only two I concretely want are pink birds nest and a blue stag horn which if I’m not mistaken (and I definitely could be) are some of the easier sps. Seems like controlling the eels bioload for that would be hard but not impossible. As far as the powder blue is concerned, I could get a younger and thus smaller one and trade it to the lfs if it gets too big for the tank (or just upgrade the tank) The banana wrasse I wasn’t completely set on so I don’t mind passing on it. With all that being said, please by all means, if I’m being naïve steer me in a better path but I would just like more detail on how difficult this idea would be and some suggestions on how I can make it work or how I can modify the stocking list to make it work better and ultimately get more enjoyment.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, so its commonly mistaken when people get into he nutrient load idea that if they have all the animals to eat it, they lower the nutrient intake however it’s not always true. Here’s one case, my phosphates were rising in my nano (20g tank), I’ve been feeding rather heavily since there is 7 fish in this tank, yes they’re all low bioload (Hoping to grab a Zonatus Scorpion when the Naoko fairy and Blue Star Leopard Wrasses move out) however they eat everything. And what goes in always comes out, I do weekly water changes (Unfortunately this week everyone in the family has been wiped out by the virus so it’s not possible this week).
image.jpg

Yes a 10% weekly water change will help a lot with nutrients, and if you can get the eel as a juvenile it should also work a treat!! Also those SPS are just fine in slightly dirtier water IME. The Powder blue will get highly aggressive and big rather fast so I wouldn’t recommend it, also they’re more susceptible to ich so they are more sensitive to wide swings.
If you give me a clue on what you’re looking for I can make a list of what you may like?
I.E. Venomous? Certain Colours? Peaceful but will defend itself? Coral/Invert safe with caution? Ect…

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can keep the yellow/blue/red theme that would be preferable. I’m also interested in fish with character. (I heard hawkfish are quite the characters) the banana eel and lobster I have wanted for a while and the idea of an agro reef is appealing because I don’t see that every day but in the end I just want the eel and the lobster. The damsels would be to help cycle the tank and imo they don’t look that bad. Seems like with the lobster and especially hawk fish I’m not going to be able to have many inverts around which is unfortunate but I can live with

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can keep the yellow/blue/red theme that would be preferable. I’m also interested in fish with character. (I heard hawkfish are quite the characters) the banana eel and lobster I have wanted for a while and the idea of an agro reef is appealing because I don’t see that every day but in the end I just want the eel and the lobster. The damsels would be to help cycle the tank and imo they don’t look that bad. Seems like with the lobster and especially hawk fish I’m not going to be able to have many inverts around which is unfortunate but I can live with
So, here’s what I’ve found:

- Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
- Zebra Lionfish
- Fu’Man’Chu Lionfish
- Foxface (I find Magnificents to be slower growers)
- Meiacanthus (This whole genus have venomous teeth)
- Red Rooster Scorpionfish
- Maroon Clownfish
- Many of the dottybacks

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, here’s what I’ve found:

- Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish
- Zebra Lionfish
- Fu’Man’Chu Lionfish
- Foxface (I find Magnificents to be slower growers)
- Meiacanthus (This whole genus have venomous teeth)
- Red Rooster Scorpionfish
- Maroon Clownfish
- Many of the dottybacks
Is the red rooster scorpionfish the same as a red rooster waspfish? Because I am in love

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an updated stocking list. I want to make sure everything works well together. My concerns here would be overstocking and if the waspfish and lobster will eat my clean up crew

* Yellow Tail Damsel 2x
*Red Rooster Wasp Fish
* Purple Kole Tang
*H. Chrysus
*Cleaner Wrasse
*Magnificent Foxface

Inverts:
*Red Reef Lobster
*Coral Banded Shrimp
*Cleaner Shrimp

I already have a cbs and it has to either go in this tank or in my clown tank.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the little waspfish will eat shrimp, those are likely too big for them to bother, just make sure they are. They are too small to threaten anything else, with scorps(waspfish are a subspecies) it's all about the mouth size. I would be concerned about the reef lobster, those are deadly and will kill things 3 times their size, so the waspfish mainly living on the bottom will likely be prey. They will also kill the shrimp and any of the small fish they can catch.

I don;t know if you've read my write up on them.

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the little waspfish will eat shrimp, those are likely too big for them to bother, just make sure they are. They are too small to threaten anything else, with scorps(waspfish are a subspecies) it's all about the mouth size. I would be concerned about the reef lobster, those are deadly and will kill things 3 times their size, so the waspfish mainly living on the bottom will likely be prey. They will also kill the shrimp and any of the small fish they can catch.

I don;t know if you've read my write up on them.
Thank you so much as that write up is invaluable. That actually seems like a perfect addition to the 45 hex clown tank I am thinking about setting up. I wouldn’t want it in the agro reef tank. The gold bar Maroon clownfish always caught my eye until I watched my friend’s lightning Maroon take a literal chunk out of his hand while he was doing tank maintenance. He took his lightning and gold bar back to the lfs actually and the gold bar currently hosts a hairy mushroom… I might be convincing myself to go get it the more of this I write. Anyways, the waspfish aside, how is the stocking list?Would I be overstocked? Would I even have room for two maroons?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not overstocked and I think there is room for the clowns. Just be aware the mag fox is one that will grow to their max in captivity, around 9", and their rectangle shape does visually present a large fish in a 4' tank. Their swim style and the fact they really don't take up alot of real estate, they will be fine, it's just the visually presentation is something to think about, they will be the centerpiece.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much as that write up is invaluable. That actually seems like a perfect addition to the 45 hex clown tank I am thinking about setting up. I wouldn’t want it in the agro reef tank. The gold bar Maroon clownfish always caught my eye until I watched my friend’s lightning Maroon take a literal chunk out of his hand while he was doing tank maintenance. He took his lightning and gold bar back to the lfs actually and the gold bar currently hosts a hairy mushroom… I might be convincing myself to go get it the more of this I write. Anyways, the waspfish aside, how is the stocking list?Would I be overstocked? Would I even have room for two maroons?
I have 11 fish in my tank, it’s a 4’ tank and will eventually have 13 total. I own:
- Magnificent Foxface
- Radiant Wrasse
- Jade Wrasse
- Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse Indonesian
- Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse Cebu
- Black Margin Fairy Wrasse
- Copperband Butterfly
- Blue Eye Kole Tang
- Flashing Tilefish
- Black Photon Clownfish
- Swallowtail Angelfish

My tank is a peaceful/Semi-Agro reef, the fish that aren’t Peaceful or will stand up for themselves are:
- Magnificent Foxface
- Blue Eye Kole Tang (For the red, the best Ctenochaetus tang is the White Tailed Bristletooth)
- Jade Wrasse
- Genicanthus Angelfish (The whole genus can stand up for themselves and tend to do better in this size tank)
- Black Photon Clownfish
- Radiant Wrasse (Depending on how bad the aggression is)

I don’t find reef lobsters to be killers like Lion King said, I find them to be scavengers and if it goes after a wasp/scorpthen IMHO it’s more likely to die, let’s not forget about how venomous they are. People stung by foxfaces say it feels like a bad bee sting, wasp fish are a next level of sting from what I’ve heard.

I will warn you now, the Jade wrasse doesn’t get along with other Halichoeres wrasses in the long run, when they transition the aggression is BAD, I’m currently tackling a transitioning jade’s aggression. Also not all Black Margin Fairy Wrasse can be mixed with other fairies.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are not overstocked and I think there is room for the clowns. Just be aware the mag fox is one that will grow to their max in captivity, around 9", and their rectangle shape does visually present a large fish in a 4' tank. Their swim style and the fact they really don't take up alot of real estate, they will be fine, it's just the visually presentation is something to think about, they will be the centerpiece.
I will add, the mags grow VERY VERY VERY slowly, I’d say an inch each year at max. It will take Atleast 9 years if you start with a young foxface before it gets to 9 inch. Also no fish will hit it’s true maximum size in captivity unless the tank is HUGE but even then, most of the time the fish only get to about 80% of their maximum wild record.
I’ve owned two and the first one was bought at 1”, in the 2 years I owned it it hit 3” and the second (My current one) it was bought at 3” and is now around 4.5” but pushing 5”

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 11 fish in my tank, it’s a 4’ tank and will eventually have 13 total. I own:
- Magnificent Foxface
- Radiant Wrasse
- Jade Wrasse
- Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse Indonesian
- Lubbock’s Fairy Wrasse Cebu
- Copperband Butterfly
- Blue Eye Kole Tang
- Flashing Tilefish
- Black Photon Clownfish
- Swallowtail Angelfish

My tank is a peaceful/Semi-Agro reef, the fish that aren’t Peaceful or will stand up for themselves are:
- Magnificent Foxface
- Blue Eye Kole Tang (For the red, the best Ctenochaetus tang is the White Tailed Bristletooth)
- Jade Wrasse
- Genicanthus Angelfish (The whole genus can stand up for themselves and tend to do better in this size tank)
- Black Photon Clownfish
- Radiant Wrasse (Depending on how bad the aggression is)

I don’t find reef lobsters to be killers like Lion King said, I find them to be scavengers and if it goes after a wasp/scorpthen IMHO it’s more likely to die, let’s not forget about how venomous they are. People stung by foxfaces say it feels like a bad bee sting, wasp fish are a next level of sting from what I’ve heard.

I will warn you now, the Jade wrasse doesn’t get along with other Halichoeres wrasses in the long run, when they transition the aggression is BAD, I’m currently tackling a transitioning jade’s aggression. Also not all Black Margin Fairy Wrasse can be mixed with other fairies.
Speaking of angelfish in reef tanks… what corals have you had to omit from your tank to be able to keep the Angel? There are some species that catch my eye but I lost a frozen tundra trachy to a lemon peel and coral beauty. Just about the saddest day of my life. Wasn’t able to move the trachy to a QT fast enough and have been skeptical on angels ever since

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think I’m okay with that. They’re called magnificent for a reason. Beautiful fish in my opinion

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of angelfish in reef tanks… what corals have you had to omit from your tank to be able to keep the Angel? There are some species that catch my eye but I lost a frozen tundra trachy to a lemon peel and coral beauty. Just about the saddest day of my life. Wasn’t able to move the trachy to a QT fast enough and have been skeptical on angels ever since
Actually, none!
Genicanthus is the most reef safe an Angel will ever get. If you are able to I recommend saving up for either G. semifasciatus or G. melanospilos (I own a submale G. melanospilos). The deeper they’re found, the most likely they will be when it comes to reef safe. The reason why:
1) Coral and Sponges tend to be MUCH rarer at the depths some of the Genicanthus are found
2) This whole genus have evolved to being planktivorous and will eat Plankton and Phyto instead of Sponges/Tunicates

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly think I’m okay with that. They’re called magnificent for a reason. Beautiful fish in my opinion
They really are!! I’ll grab a photo of mine (If I can - He’s VERY skittish)

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When colored up nicely they are a gorgeous fish and will make a fine centerpiece. Their color is affected by stress and they do not take to crowds, but you are far from overstocked. Adding live macro algae into their diet is also a good addition for coloration.

I nicknamed the reef lobster the "silent assassin" after determining in more than one tank, that is how fish and inverts were disappearing. They are nocturnal and opportunistic. They usually catch the small fish while they are sleeping and the H. Chrysus does bury himself, so that does present an opportunity. The lobster has a hard exoskeleton and would be impervious to a sting from the waspfish, I don't know if the poison from the wasp would kill the lobster if he ate him, but that just means you lose both.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back