90 ga LED Suggestions

SydneyRose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Everyone,

Having completed cycling a new 90 gallon (48 x 18 x 24”), I am beginning to select lighting. I have done a bunch of research and searching on here but can’t seem to make up my mind. The tank will be focused on LPS/softies, but I’d like to have the option to add some SPS in the future. The tank will be without a canopy. Is there a benefit to 1 unit vs several smaller lights? Thanks In advance!

OP
OP
S

SydneyRose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my initial thought but was not sure if something along the lines of 3 AI primes would be better for coverage.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also depends on what you want out of your light.

Is controllability a requirement? WIFI, Bluetooth, manual controller?
What features do you require? Ramp up and ramp down, timer, moon light, etc... ?
Is the shimmering effect (like in metal halide) important to you?
Colour spectrum?
Modularity? Can the lights be daisy chained or controlled together?
Mounting options?

And last but not least. What's your budget?

You'll basically need 2 for the size of your tank.

So many options are available for your tank ranging from cheap black box LED (Viparspectra, Mars Aqua, Popbloom, etc...) to high end LEDs like Red Sea, AI, EcoTech. ATI. They will all work and will grow corals (SPS included)
Prices ranging from $100 each to a couple thousands.

Last edited:

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually setting a new 90g myself and plan for it to eventually be SPS dominated so I'm looking at lighting options also. I have a 125g running now with a couple black boxes and an Ocean Revive T247 but I always liked the shimmering from MH so I'm thinking either a couple Red Sea LED 90's or a couple of the cheaper Popbloom RS90's

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same size tank and I’m running 2 AI prime 16hd on one end and a hydra 32 on the other along with two t5 bulbs. Haven’t done a par reading yet cause I don’t have one and the store I rent from someone already had it. Once I get proper reading I will adjust accordingly. The few corals I have seem to love the way I have it set tho.
469405F7-6385-408D-8A21-F35032055B1D.jpeg

OP
OP
S

SydneyRose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I really like the idea of a wifi/Bluetooth controllable light with ramp up/ramp down capabilities.

I originally was lookin at black box units but the ones I found did not have a ramp up/ramp down feature. Budget wise, I’d like to stay below $1000 total for the lighting.

reverc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone! I really like the idea of a wifi/Bluetooth controllable light with ramp up/ramp down capabilities.

I originally was lookin at black box units but the ones I found did not have a ramp up/ramp down feature. Budget wise, I’d like to stay below $1000 total for the lighting.
You can get an ATI hybrid fixture and two AI hydra 32 lights for just over $1k. Or look on the marketplace here and I’m sure you could find something better for less.

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

under $1000 I would suggest looking at the Red Sea Reef LED 90

I saw this light in person at my LFS and it looked awesome. This by far is the closest to MH I have ever seen from LED. I personally like this LED a lot better than AI or EcoTech Radion. The light looks a lot more natural and no hot spots whatsoever.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

SydneyRose

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although quite delayed, figured I would close the loop in case anyone is looking in the future. I ended up getting a deal on 2 Ecotech XR15 G5 Blues. I have been very happy so far. It seems they will be plenty for our planned additions. We have decided that sticking to a softie dominant, with some LPS will be best for us at this poI think.

Back