90 gallon mixed reef stocking list

DiveLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all I've finally started my 90 gallon tank That being said I've been considering my stocking for it. The ones in really considering are foxface rabbit fish, Christmas wrasse, two clowns, tomini, purple or yellow tang, (tang police) be honest! Dart fish, cuc, goby/shrimp pair. Any other suggestions works be appreciated. As I would like to cover the entire water column. TIA y'all

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that stocking list is good, I think all works in a 90 gallon. The only thing I would say is try to get all the tangs and fox face small to see them grow. My only other suggestion is I always like to get fish with a purpose and utility. Like the tangs and foxface are algae grazers so the will clean up some algae. I would maybe suggest getting a sand shifting goby that will shift through the sand. This should be done after a couple months into the tank.

OP
OP
DiveLife

DiveLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that stocking list is good, I think all works in a 90 gallon. The only thing I would say is try to get all the tangs and fox face small to see them grow. My only other suggestion is I always like to get fish with a purpose and utility. Like the tangs and foxface are algae grazers so the will clean up some algae. I would maybe suggest getting a sand shifting goby that will shift through the sand. This should be done after a couple months into the tank.
I don't know if multiple tangs will work just the ones I wouldn't mind having. I agree getting them small for sure. But also like the idea of sand sifting goby as well. I'm wanting to go with some color in the tank. Which is an idea my wife thought of that I didn't consider. In that size tank I'm not sure if I can have multiple tangs. Which is why I figured I would ask

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if multiple tangs will work just the ones I wouldn't mind having. I agree getting them small for sure. But also like the idea of sand sifting goby as well. I'm wanting to go with some color in the tank. Which is an idea my wife thought of that I didn't consider. In that size tank I'm not sure if I can have multiple tangs. Which is why I figured I would ask
Yeah, the bristletooth and Zebrasoma tangs dont get too big. I agree on the color part. I love the tomini tang, but sometimes I feel like they can lack color compared to other tangs. Have you looked into other bristletooth tangs? The tomini is the most popular of them. I know some of them are a little pricey but the colors and pattern are insane. Just trying to give you some ideas.
Also are you doing a reef or FOWLR?

OP
OP
DiveLife

DiveLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the bristletooth and Zebrasoma tangs dont get too big. I agree on the color part. I love the tomini tang, but sometimes I feel like they can lack color compared to other tangs. Have you looked into other bristletooth tangs? The tomini is the most popular of them. I know some of them are a little pricey but the colors and pattern are insane. Just trying to give you some ideas.
Also are you doing a reef or FOWLR?
Reef

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to see an interesting fish, that spends a lot of time roaming near the bottom, take a look at a Harlequin Bass. Very cool coloration.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming a standard 48" 90 gallon?
Hey y'all I've finally started my 90 gallon tank That being said I've been considering my stocking for it. The ones in really considering are foxface rabbit fish, Christmas wrasse, two clowns, tomini, purple or yellow tang, (tang police) be honest! Dart fish, cuc, goby/shrimp pair. Any other suggestions works be appreciated. As I would like to cover the entire water column. TIA y'all
Christmas wrasse - fine, assuming that is Halichoeres claudia and you have sand. There is at least one other called christmas that you wouldn't want.

Clowns - fine
Dart fish - fine
Goby/shrimp - fine

(tang police) be honest!
Foxface - expect a 6-8" fish. They get fairly big, but aren't as active or aggressive as most tangs. Arguable for a 90. Don't get any of the rabbits that are not foxfaces, like the an orange spot, as they get huge.

Yellow/Purple - If you get one of these, I really would recommend it to be the only tang or rabbit.
Tomini - perfectly fine in a standard 90. There are other good ones in the genus, like white tail ($$$) and kole and others.

I would pick one of the 3 out of fox or tangs. You might be able to get away with a foxface + tomini. I've been doing this for a while, and I've just seen too many yellow tangs go postal.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a 90 gallon have 2 tangs purple and power blue different genus i don't think yellow + purple will work

OP
OP
DiveLife

DiveLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got a 90 gallon have 2 tangs purple and power blue different genus i don't think yellow + purple will work
My biggest goal with this tank is color and movement along with corals. So I'm trying to narrow down with a tang or two. I've always liked the tomini but wondered with the purple or yellow because they are so lively looking. But I also don't want to have only a few large fish. If that makes any since

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this, multiple tangs can work in the right hands but two zebrasoma’s in a 4’ tank is going to be hell for everyone (Even the non-tang fish).
My biggest goal with this tank is color and movement along with corals. So I'm trying to narrow down with a tang or two. I've always liked the tomini but wondered with the purple or yellow because they are so lively looking. But I also don't want to have only a few large fish. If that makes any since
Personally, I have found even with alot of fish movement a tank will often still look empty. I have 10 fish in my 4’ tank and it looks empty but this could be because I’m missing my favourite fish (It died a week ago and I can’t figure out why). Ctenochaetus not being lively? PFFT please, you’ve never seen a happy Ctenochaetus then!

That’s just a few videos of my guy. I personally love them, I have never had a tang more lively then these guys can be. Their personality is SO much better than other tangs (I have owned 3 tangs in the past - P. Hepatus, Z. Scopas, Flavescens and now C. Binotatus). Yes the others swam but they didn’t have the personality I have now.
You do want only a few large fish in a 4’ tank, I have a foxface, blue eye kole tang, and a swallowtail angelfish. I’m also going mixed reef and with the “sticks” in the tank, I wouldn’t have any more large active fish.
Here’s what I’d do:
- Foxface (Personally I’d choose Siganus magnificus or uspi)
- Bristletooth tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus, flavicauda or tominiensis)
- One clown (A pair will be extra bitey)
- Wrasses! (Look at the wrasse lovers thread, collect an idea of what you like then post them here for us to sort through if you want)
- Goby/Shrimp
- Firefish/Dartfish

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the tomini and perhaps a bellus angel as your larger swimmers. Maybe a trio of lyretails and a few wrasses.

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the two tangs would work. You could also add a pair of bangaiis. I love their colouration and swimming behaviour.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the tomini and perhaps a bellus angel as your larger swimmers. Maybe a trio of lyretails and a few wrasses.
+1 to this - Any of the smaller Genicanthus would do great. Such as:
- Genicanthus melanospilos
- Genicanthus semifasciatus (Hoping to see a female in person one day)
- Genicanthus bellus
- Genicanthus lamarcki
- Genicanthus watanabe

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want 2 tangs i would do Ctenochaetus and purple but purples can be mean so i would add it as your second tang mine chases my wrasse and Midas blenny about sometimes. Nearly every 1 in the world would advise against getting a powder blue for a 90 gallon but it works for me for now

OP
OP
DiveLife

DiveLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming a standard 48" 90 gallon?

Christmas wrasse - fine, assuming that is Halichoeres claudia and you have sand. There is at least one other called christmas that you wouldn't want.

Clowns - fine
Dart fish - fine
Goby/shrimp - fine

Foxface - expect a 6-8" fish. They get fairly big, but aren't as active or aggressive as most tangs. Arguable for a 90. Don't get any of the rabbits that are not foxfaces, like the an orange spot, as they get huge.

Yellow/Purple - If you get one of these, I really would recommend it to be the only tang or rabbit.
Tomini - perfectly fine in a standard 90. There are other good ones in the genus, like white tail ($$$) and kole and others.

I would pick one of the 3 out of fox or tangs. You might be able to get away with a foxface + tomini. I've been doing this for a while, and I've just seen too many yellow tangs go postal.
I've considered trying both but I am afraid it would be too much in a 90 and I incorrect on that?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've considered trying both but I am afraid it would be too much in a 90 and I incorrect on that?
If you mean foxface & Ctenochaetus tang, I have a magnificent foxface and a two spot bristletooth tang in a 48”x24”x18” tank. There’s the occasional fight but it’s extremely rare. For the most part they just ignore eachother or swim with eachother in the current.

OP
OP
DiveLife

DiveLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this, multiple tangs can work in the right hands but two zebrasoma’s in a 4’ tank is going to be hell for everyone (Even the non-tang fish).

Personally, I have found even with alot of fish movement a tank will often still look empty. I have 10 fish in my 4’ tank and it looks empty but this could be because I’m missing my favourite fish (It died a week ago and I can’t figure out why). Ctenochaetus not being lively? PFFT please, you’ve never seen a happy Ctenochaetus then!

That’s just a few videos of my guy. I personally love them, I have never had a tang more lively then these guys can be. Their personality is SO much better than other tangs (I have owned 3 tangs in the past - P. Hepatus, Z. Scopas, Flavescens and now C. Binotatus). Yes the others swam but they didn’t have the personality I have now.
You do want only a few large fish in a 4’ tank, I have a foxface, blue eye kole tang, and a swallowtail angelfish. I’m also going mixed reef and with the “sticks” in the tank, I wouldn’t have any more large active fish.
Here’s what I’d do:
- Foxface (Personally I’d choose Siganus magnificus or uspi)
- Bristletooth tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus, flavicauda or tominiensis)
- One clown (A pair will be extra bitey)
- Wrasses! (Look at the wrasse lovers thread, collect an idea of what you like then post them here for us to sort through if you want)
- Goby/Shrimp
- Firefish/Dartfish

90 gallon stocking list

2 clowns
Assorted cuc
Goby pistol shrimp pair
Royal gramma
2/3 Fire fish
Foxface
Wrasse
Mandarin possibly doesn't have to be
Whitetailed bristletooth tang/tomini

Ricox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good! Although I have heard that firefish will fight unless they are bonded pair. Also for the wrasse you could try a yellow coris wrasse if you are willing to have a slightly deeper sandbed at least at the back.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
90 gallon stocking list

2 clowns
Assorted cuc
Goby pistol shrimp pair
Royal gramma
2/3 Fire fish
Foxface
Wrasse
Mandarin possibly doesn't have to be
Whitetailed bristletooth tang/tomini
Only ONE species of fire fish is truly communal, that’s the red firefish and even then you need 2 females and 1 male which is essentially impossible unless you find three juveniles. They should be alright with other gobiidae genera just not species from the same genus.
A pair of clownfish, make sure they’re DEFINITELY Occelaris unless you would like to be bitten when they mature.

OP
OP
DiveLife

DiveLife

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are biters but I'm considering giving them to the person I'm selling my 32 to. I didn't know fire fish weren't communal.
Only ONE species of fire fish is truly communal, that’s the red firefish and even then you need 2 females and 1 male which is essentially impossible unless you find three juveniles. They should be alright with other gobiidae genera just not species from the same genus.
A pair of clownfish, make sure they’re DEFINITELY Occelaris unless you would like to be bitten when they mature.

Back