92G Corner Upgrade

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo, I have upgraded my 29G BioCube. I found one h ell of a deal on craigslist, and my wife an I went to go get it. Took us about 3 hours to break it down, and had a wee bit of a problem keeping the water in the bins on the way back.
The tank came drilled, with 100lbs of rock, a tunze wavemaker, a euroreef skimmer, a 30 gallon sump and a T-5 setup
Here I am filling the tank and shot of the bins that the water and rocks were in.
IMG_2470.jpg

IMG_2472.jpg

There were many more of these, I managed to keep about 80 Gallons of the original water and kept the rock submerged for the entire trip, so hopefully no die-off.
IMG_2471.jpg

I got a purple tang with it, transfered by bucket. He is in "sleep" pajamas
IMG_2473.jpg

I had put the fish in after getting the 80 gallons in and kept water moving with a spare pump I had, but he started acting very erratically, so I removed him and put him in my biocube overnight. I would not have done it, but it looked like he was dying. Maybe a lack of oxygen in the water or too much stuff from stirred up sand bed. I went yesterday and got the rest of the sea water i needed, set up the pumps and skimmers, bought new T-5's (1 14k, 1 10k, 1 actinic, 1 purple) Tested the water, ammonia was a little high, nothing alarming. I have put the tang in and the bangaii.
IMG_2476.jpg

IMG_2474.jpg

IMG_2477.jpg

IMG_2478.jpg

The tang is swimming much more sedately and picking at the rock, but looking very skinny, and my Bangaii has never been seen so much swimming room before.
IMG_2475.jpg

IMG_2480.jpg

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice upgrade. i love bowfronts, and your new tank is looking great ! so are you keeping your biocube up or will you be transferring everything over ??

kane720

da madd reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet i have a corner tank exactly like that just havn't had a chance to set it up. i will deffinatly keep an eye on this thread. what kind of return pump are you using? i have a mag 7 i was planning to use, but i read somewhere the overflow can handle only soo much, so was curious will the mag be too much or too little. john

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet upgrade....i actually have been looking around for one of these too...i just moved into my first house and was going to do a 125 but soon realized that there wasnt a good spot for it...but there is a corner in the living room that would be perfect for a 92 corner...some where down the road i will have one :)
Right now i have my 29 biocube too and i am planning on trying to keep both when i upgrade!

oceanparadise1

The Coral Dudes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love corner tanks! they add alot of depth to the look of the tank! when i upgraded and put my fire fish and 2 bangiis in my 180 they thought they where back in the ocean :)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank!

Make sure to get the powerstrip that's laying behind the tank up higher and createsome drip-loops - that's a fire waiting to happen (trust me ;) ).

The tang was likely stressed from the excess Ammonia in the water, hopefully it's all gone now. Ammonia is extremely toxic to fish.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice upgrade. i love bowfronts, and your new tank is looking great ! so are you keeping your biocube up or will you be transferring everything over ??
Thanks ahayes! I will be keeping the cube, but may be starting over with brand new rock etc. Hair algae is the worst.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweet i have a corner tank exactly like that just havn't had a chance to set it up. i will deffinatly keep an eye on this thread. what kind of return pump are you using? i have a mag 7 i was planning to use, but i read somewhere the overflow can handle only soo much, so was curious will the mag be too much or too little. john
Hey John, Definitely set up your corner!! qwe can swap stories. I am not sure what my pump is, I will look when I get home. My return is not very strong at all, not much flow out of the return pipes at all tbh.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great. I love bow fronts.
Thanks aquascapesofla! What did you think of my aqua scape lol? I have found a problem with having sooo many ledges and caves, my coral mounting real estate is severely limited..oh well I like the look to much to change it.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet upgrade....i actually have been looking around for one of these too...i just moved into my first house and was going to do a 125 but soon realized that there wasnt a good spot for it...but there is a corner in the living room that would be perfect for a 92 corner...some where down the road i will have one :)
Right now i have my 29 biocube too and i am planning on trying to keep both when i upgrade!
Thanks fsu1dolfan! I had originally wanted a 180 and same thing happened, as soon as I saw this corner I knew There needed to be a tank there. Look around and be patient there are good deals to be had!

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love corner tanks! they add alot of depth to the look of the tank! when i upgraded and put my fire fish and 2 bangiis in my 180 they thought they where back in the ocean :)
Lol, and the curved glass makes everything look bigger too! Loving it so far.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet tank!

Make sure to get the powerstrip that's laying behind the tank up higher and createsome drip-loops - that's a fire waiting to happen (trust me ;) ).

The tang was likely stressed from the excess Ammonia in the water, hopefully it's all gone now. Ammonia is extremely toxic to fish.
Thanks stun reefer! The strip on the ground is temporary. Doouble sided tape it up.
I think the ammonia has gone down since I did a small water change and had the skimmer running for the last day or so. will test the water when I get home.

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soo I think I have my stocklist all planned out. Right now I have..
Purple tang
2 Oscillaris
Pajama Cardinal
Bangaii

I am getting later this week..
Mckoskers flasher wrasse male
Filamented flasher wrasse male

I would like to do these as well
Exquisite wrasse
Pink Margin Wrasse
Velvet Multicolor Wrasse
Purple Tile Fish
Yellow Candy Hogfish
Golden Midas Blenny

That will leave me with 13 fish, none over 6 inches. If I think my system can handle it I might do a japanese swallowtail angel

Last edited:

kane720

da madd reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey John, Definitely set up your corner!! qwe can swap stories. I am not sure what my pump is, I will look when I get home. My return is not very strong at all, not much flow out of the return pipes at all tbh.
deffinatly, looking for a house, so i don't want to set it up just to tear it down again. hopefully i find one soon

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
deffinatly, looking for a house, so i don't want to set it up just to tear it down again. hopefully i find one soon
Fingers crossed! This is a buyers market right? The problem though is that no one wants to sell in this market. I got a pretty good deal on mine, just stay away from short sales!!!!

OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some pics
My Zebra Maxima, its Black and Aqua from above
IMG_2549.jpg

Tang
IMG_2536.jpg

Clowns
IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

Shawshank
IMG_2522.jpg

Pink Acans
IMG_2574.jpg

My Duncans look piisssed
IMG_2575.jpg

We are finally at that age yaay
IMG_2259.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
akabryanhall

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't got the flashers yet, but I am getting them tomorrow, turns out I should be getting a mckoskers and a carpenters. My cube ended u being an absolute disaster and I thought I was going to have to throw way a bunch of corals due to algae growth. I have been putting them in the corner one at a time and the tang has taken care of almost all of the algae on each piece.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back