A few corals I need help identifying!

sujcab111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
New to the forum, so I’ll give an overview of my experience and self. I’ve fully immersed myself into this hobby for about three months now. I guess it was just a hidden passion that I had no idea I had. I am in the Navy! I’m stationed in Okinawa, Japan and am very close to the ocean obviously. The second I realized I wanted to start reefing.. I bought a tank! I’ve since bought two clown fish, a fire fish, cleaner shrimp, a pistol shrimp and a goby with some clean-up crew. I’m trying to spare details as I go because this post is getting longer by the minute lol! I Also have a very nice bubble coral. I’ve had my ups and downs. Still don’t have full test kits and or a sump, Refugium, or any type of protein skimmer.. (Yet)! This is a costly hobby as you all know. I’m at the point now to where I feel knowledgeable enough to acquire most of theses things as to fully start reefing! I will be dosing calcium and alkalinity once I get a few more corals and the rest of my set up! (Which is on its way from Amazon) But, before I start digging in and buying any more corals; I just wanted to make sure I’m identifying these correctly and know the proper care to take for them! Leading me to the four attached pics! These are from the local store closest to me and are corals I plan on acquiring! The 5th a before and after picture of my tank (with Live rock that I just aquascaped! This is my first time doing that so please let me know what you think!) my girlfriend says it looks like the AT-AT from STARWARS lol.
• For the first picture: I have no idea what this is but I don’t think it’s a Nem.
• The second: I would guess this is some form of mushroom coral?
• The third: I have NO clue lol!
• The fourth: I’m guessing this is a Frogspawn.
Any tips and correct identifications would be much appreciated!
forgot to mention my tank size is around 15 gallons or higher!
I don’t have the kind of test kits to give an exact number yet.. As for the parameters I am able to give in some sort of way.
Ammonia: 0
Ph: umm.. it is the correct color on my chart? Lol
Chlorine: 0
And I have a low level of nitrates and I have some algae now so I’m guessing my phosphate is alittle high.

Thank you!

55236F06-2E6E-4F7F-A0B3-95D553EFD7E9.png E6377973-9C56-4AAB-AA01-44C0F8E14211.jpeg 29C8BD9A-CE78-4792-AA17-99EC707BDA7F.jpeg 98E1B43B-EE07-456A-9112-DD1F62A1D9BD.jpeg 55FE5250-49EE-4377-ABA7-8F341495AD82.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an AT-AT. The scape does a very good job at making the tank look bigger than it is (or actually much more than 15 gallons. Do you have dimensions?).
Welcome to the forum!
All your corals are very nice!
Do you have a pic of the whole coral for the first one, it looks kind of like a torch. Nem is also possible as there are some with tentacles like that.
Second is a plate coral.
Third I have no idea either. Maybe some kind of open brain. Lobo?
Last is a little fuzzy. Could be torch or frogspawn. Does each tentacle only have one green tip or multiple? If one it’s a torch, if multiple it’s a frog.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sujcab111

sujcab111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely an AT-AT. The scape does a very good job at making the tank look bigger than it is (or actually much more than 15 gallons. Do you have dimensions?).
Welcome to the forum!
All your corals are very nice!
Do you have a pic of the whole coral for the first one, it looks kind of like a torch. Nem is also possible as there are some with tentacles like that.
Second is a plate coral.
Third I have no idea either. Maybe some kind of open brain. Lobo?
Last is a little fuzzy. Could be torch or frogspawn. Does each tentacle only have one green tip or multiple? If one it’s a torch, if multiple it’s a frog.
Sorry I think I miscommunicated with those pictures. I don’t have those corals yet lol! The only coral I own as of now is a bubble coral shown in the last picture.

I can get dimensions when I get back home and post them!

As for the first picture I don’t have a better angle on it. I tried to but their tank is set up against a wall.

that last pic is probably frog spawn then. Has green tips on all.

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say Lobo/open brain coral

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I think I miscommunicated with those pictures. I don’t have those corals yet lol! The only coral I own as of now is a bubble coral shown in the last picture.

I can get dimensions when I get back home and post them!

As for the first picture I don’t have a better angle on it. I tried to but their tank is set up against a wall.

that last pic is probably frog spawn then. Has green tips on all.
Ah got it.
I think I misspoke. Each tentacle has a green tip on torch as well. Frogs have multiple per tip.
Torch:
1620396806078.jpeg

Frog:
1620396844685.jpeg

Care for either frog or torch is similar to the bubble.

All of the corals are worth getting as your tank matures.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sujcab111

sujcab111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah got it.
I think I misspoke. Each tentacle has a green tip on torch as well. Frogs have multiple per tip.
Torch:
1620396806078.jpeg

Frog:
1620396844685.jpeg

Care for either frog or torch is similar to the bubble.

All of the corals are worth getting as your tank matures.
Oh nice thank you! I think it’s a torch coral as well. Cell said how it might be an elegance but after looking them up online I definitely saw an elegance coral in there to and it looked different. I’d like to put some of these LPS Corals close together but I know they’ll engage eachother. Any way to work around that? I’d like to have a bunched up little Euphyllia garden as my main coral display. Also when I free dive here I always see natural Xenia coral in the water. How safe would it be to pluck one from the ocean, dip it, and put a frag in my tank?

Upvote 0

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with elegance over torch because of how the tentacles look like they are coming from the rock in the pic. I suppose it could be a multiple head torch and the rock is obsuring the base/skeleton?

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would definitely need a picture of the base of the first one. Tentacles do look elegance like.
Oh nice thank you! I think it’s a torch coral as well. Cell said how it might be an elegance but after looking them up online I definitely saw an elegance coral in there to and it looked different. I’d like to put some of these LPS Corals close together but I know they’ll engage eachother. Any way to work around that? I’d like to have a bunched up little Euphyllia garden as my main coral display. Also when I free dive here I always see natural Xenia coral in the water. How safe would it be to pluck one from the ocean, dip it, and put a frag in my tank?
Different types of lps can go near each other.
Frogspawn and hammer cannot hurt each other, while torch can hurt them both.
Most brains, trumpets, etc don’t have too much of sweepers and can be kept somewhat near each other. Just keep them apart knowing they will grow.
I wouldn’t wild catch coral, even if it is common. It is often illegal to harvest without permits.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sujcab111

sujcab111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We would definitely need a picture of the base of the first one. Tentacles do look elegance like.

Different types of lps can go near each other.
Frogspawn and hammer cannot hurt each other, while torch can hurt them both.
Most brains, trumpets, etc don’t have too much of sweepers and can be kept somewhat near each other. Just keep them apart knowing they will grow.
I wouldn’t wild catch coral, even if it is common. It is often illegal to harvest without permits.
Definitely didn’t think about it being illegal! Duh yeah it was just a thought. I don’t know how I’d feel harvesting one from the rest of its colony anyway even though they grow like weeds. Shouldn’t disrupt what’s growing natural to with the state of corals worldwide.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely didn’t think about it being illegal! Duh yeah it was just a thought. I don’t know how I’d feel harvesting one from the rest of its colony anyway even though they grow like weeds. Shouldn’t disrupt what’s growing natural to with the state of corals worldwide.
You can usually get it free from friends. Most people are trying to get rid of it. I do like to let it grow in mine, then prune it back and sell whenever I go to the lfs.
It is relatively unchanged from wild type, which is nice if you prefer wild looks for corals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
sujcab111

sujcab111

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with elegance over torch because of how the tentacles look like they are coming from the rock in the pic. I suppose it could be a multiple head torch and the rock is obsuring the base/skeleton?
If it’s at my LFS next time I go in I’ll really try and look. All the employees are japanese so communicating can be a struggle sometimes but I’ll try google translate and ask!

Upvote 0

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was hoping someone could confirm that for me before I bought it. Selfishly I didn’t mention it because I didn’t wanna hear it ! It’s so bright under LEDs. Is there any coming back from something that’s starting to or is almost all the way bleached?
There is always a chance of it coming back but its very unlikely to live long. I just would stay away from it

Upvote 0
Back