OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I may have found a loop hole in the "TSA & Aquashella VIP Dream Giveaway!" rulings. There is usually a caveat about only allowing only one update per week. (IE. Bonus 6: Start/Update your build thread on R2R and post a link here. You can do this once a week for bonus entries.) Not so here though. (IE. BONUS 7: Start/Update your build thread on R2R and post a link here. Our members tanks forums are found here.) So yeah, this may be a little on the sneaky side. If so and it violates the "spirit" of the competition go ahead and ignore this entry for it. On the other hand you still get another entry here as ridiculous as this is.;Smuggrin
Moving on, so now I need a sump. I had been looking for a DT tank on Craig's list for years before buying the current one. Could never find one quite like what I wanted. So, while I'm planning on how to convert one of the 45 gallon tanks I have sitting around into a sump, I happen across almost exactly what I had been originally looking for (and for a lot less, figures!) Ta Da, a 36" x 24" x 36" (X,Y,Z axis) acrylic tank. That will fit perfectly within the stand and make for a great sump.
Sump originally.jpg

(DOH, the wife's waking up, the interruptions have begun, I'll be back.)

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm baaaaack!;Singing While I pondered on the best way to turn this into a sump it became quite clear what a hindrance the eurobrace was going to be. So I cut off everything except for 1 inch of it. Will 1 inch of eurobrace be enough to keep it together? Am I really willing to take that chance on destroying the wife's newly remodeled living room? No,no,no! There's a better solution. Tank stand revision #1 coming up. Just add some reinforcement bars around the top of the sump. Thus, the sump became like this fitted into the Rev. 1 stand.
Stand Rev 1 with sump Rev 1.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Continuing on, time to figure out some oddball way of using what I have laying around to make a sump out of it. (Either too cheap to buy something nice or just enjoy making stuff out of junk, not sure which yet.) Since I might change my mind about how to use this tank in the future, I didn't want to permanently glue anything into the 36" x 36' x 24" "soon to be a sump" tank (here after referred to as "clear sump") . So all partitions will be drilled, tapped and bolted together with nylon bolts (not shown in the drawings) and squeeze fitted together. I started by adding another smaller tank (AKA "blue sump") I had sitting around by attaching it to the overflow of the "clear sump" with two bulkheads. The "blue sump" will be the entry point for water from the DT. This way I could use the overflow of the "clear sump" as a reactor/filter media chamber, or something like that instead of just dead space.
Clear and blue sump.jpg

(Good enough for another contest entry);Yawn

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the REEFTIDE'S DREAM TANK GIVEAWAY!!! WIN a $5,000+ DREAM TANK SYSTEM!! July 13th bonus.
Inside the "Blue sump" is where I have placed the skimmer and the MarinePure blocks.
7-13-2021 update.jpg

Sorry, running out of time to get this in. That's all for today.

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the REEFTIDE'S DREAM TANK GIVEAWAY!!! WIN a $5,000+ DREAM TANK SYSTEM!! July 20th bonus.
Next, built up the Sump-Refugium walls like so,
Sump-Refugium Walls.jpg

Placed this inside the "clear sump".
So far 7-20-21.jpg

This also created a space underneath the "blue sump" that I utilized as a cryptic zone which is filled with MarinePure rubble as seen in this "worms eye view".
Worms eye view of cryptic zone.jpg

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL, yeah, the worst part of my entire career was writing one report after another. Reports that were filed and never read. That's why this thread will undoubtedly take longer than the actual build.:rolleyes:;Hilarious

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For REEFTIDE'S DREAM TANK GIVEAWAY!!! 7/27/2021 bonus,
Chaeto tumble setup.jpg

How I keep my Chaeto tumbling and not going down the top baffle on the right or getting caught in the pump intake. ;Brb (Almost missed todays entry.) Edit, to continue on now, Red line = water entering along bottom of baffle (left side). Blue line = water fed by powerhead. Green line = water that is picked up from eductors. The green line water tends to keep the chaeto trapped in the vortex, spinning in the middle. (My drawing is seen from the back of the tank (I.E. Reversed) in comparison to the video below.)

Last edited:

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For REEFTIDE'S DREAM TANK GIVEAWAY!!! 7/27/2021 bonus,
Chaeto tumble setup.jpg

How I keep my Chaeto tumbling and not going down the top baffle on the right or getting caught in the pump intake. ;Brb (Almost missed todays entry.) Edit, to continue on now, Red line = water entering along bottom of baffle (left side). Blue line = water fed by powerhead. Green line = water that is picked up from eductors. The green line water tends to keep the chaeto trapped in the vortex, spinning in the middle. (My drawing is seen from the back of the tank in comparison to the video below.)

I was considering doing something similar. I was going to have my incoming water go under the chaeto and since my return pump is going to be oversight, I plumb a bypass valve in and that is going to go backwards over the top.

OP
OP
Reefer Reboot

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering doing something similar. I was going to have my incoming water go under the chaeto and since my return pump is going to be oversight, I plumb a bypass valve in and that is going to go backwards over the top.
Wait, what? You lost me there, how is your return pump an oversight? Are you tee-ing off the return line to blow back backwards across the top of the water surface in the chaeto chamber?

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Wait, what? You lost me there, how is your return pump an oversight? Are you tee-ing off the return line to blow back backwards across the top of the water surface in the chaeto chamber?
Oops... That was supposed to be "oversized" but autocorrect knows better than I do...

Yes, it blows backwards into the fuge section over the top.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back