Absolute CHEAPEST wavemaker

biguebs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to buy some time with a cheap powerhead than skip the gyre and put a couple cheap Amazon numbers across the top. The cheap gyre isn’t a good solution for now - I have a half dozen of those $10 powerheads that I use for various things like mixing salt or emergency flow. They will run for awhile while you save for something decent

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know jebao is somewhat reliable. Definitely gonna look into pne!
Like any piece of equipment it partially comes down to just luck, whether the exact one you got will be reliable or not. I've never had to deal with customer support or warranty issues with Jebao, but I suspect it's not too good. If nothing else with most of the major US brands you will get good support.
If my jebao gyre broke I'd be willing to buy another one.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need to buy some time with a cheap powerhead than skip the gyre and put a couple cheap Amazon numbers across the top. The cheap gyre isn’t a good solution for now - I have a half dozen of those $10 powerheads that I use for various things like mixing salt or emergency flow. They will run for awhile while you save for something decent
I agree completely, cheapest and gyre do not really go together.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got myself an icecap gyre 2k this week (its on sale at reefsupplies.com). Jebao is cheaper but they suck and I'll never buy another jebao product again.

Whatever you decide, you will be happy. I've had aquariums about 15 years and this is my first gyre, and I will never spend money on a normal powerhead again, this thing is amazing.

I think you should hold out for what you want, dont settle for a lesser machine. Christmas deals are coming soon you might get a good deal.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got myself an icecap gyre 2k this week (its on sale at reefsupplies.com). Jebao is cheaper but they suck and I'll never buy another jebao product again.

Whatever you decide, you will be happy. I've had aquariums about 15 years and this is my first gyre, and I will never spend money on a normal powerhead again, this thing is amazing.

I think you should hold out for what you want, dont settle for a lesser machine. Christmas deals are coming soon you might get a good deal.
Not trying to argue but have you actually owned a jebao gyre pump? I'm just trying to see if your negative opinion came from experience with them. Like I said I've had two that have worked great for me for a few years. Maybe I just got lucky though

SaltyCrabs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked up a Jebao CP150 got it in the mail yesterday. Think I paid 118 on amazon. Thing moves some serious water. I had to back it down to about 40 percent power. Running it on a 6' 150G tank Now the time will tell if it will last. I also have a jebao return pump and that has been running for about 8 months. No issues yet.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to argue but have you actually owned a jebao gyre pump? I'm just trying to see if your negative opinion came from experience with them. Like I said I've had two that have worked great for me for a few years. Maybe I just got lucky though
Not a gyre but I did buy a controllable powerhead which cost a $100, the thing completely failed after 4 months for no reason, I just noticed one day the propeller not spinning anymore. You may be right it may be my usual bad luck, but I've had several cheap $15 sunsun powerheads last 1-2 years

I guess its hit or miss, but I got bit, so now I've blacklisted them.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not a gyre but I did buy a controllable powerhead which cost a $100, the thing completely failed after 4 months for no reason, I just noticed one day the propeller not spinning anymore. You may be right it may be my usual bad luck, but I've had several cheap $15 sunsun powerheads last 1-2 years

Understandable, if I had an item quickly fail I probably would do the same. I've never had any of the jebao regular powerheads but overall I've heard more good than bad.
For my gyres it could just be that I got lucky, although normally luck isn't on my side.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A sunsun was the first cheap powerhead I bought, super powerful but I don't like how open it is (fish blender) and the suction cup mount sucks. Or doesn't suck, which sucks lol

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sps and zoa garden are on the left side. I wanted a wavemaker that could get there without disturbing my fungia and euphillia

Attachments

• 16352586994403197622953186570363.jpg
    16352586994403197622953186570363.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 42

Koh23

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sunsun 3000lph, at some point in time they were so cheap, i probably had 10+ of these, not long lasting, but....

Jebao, great experience with them, now running 2 sow8, planning to increase flow with another or gyre, before that from every line of product all the way down to wp20 and 40, ten year ago... All working to this day, just not in my tank ;)

On one 40 power supply died, replaced with 12-24w notebook charger, still running....

OP
OP
GHOSTLY

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I want ro bump this thread again for something. My lfs is selling the gyre 2k but without wifi. Is it mandatory to get the wifi or can I just buy the gyre 2k

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bumping this
You need the wifi or the hydros wave engine. The pump only is to add on to a hydros for example.

Also, icecap has discontinued the little wifi box. You can still find some in stock here and there, but all new ones come with a small wave engine box.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's the pump only, so it will need some kind of controller.

The '2K pump only' is meant as an add-on for someone that already has a 2K and a controller. That way you would have a controller running 2 pumps.

FYI, BRS has the 2K + controller for 20% off. And they have the 'pump only' for 109.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 19 26.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 18 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back