Acan and Frog battling it out

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some cool pics of a tussle between my frogspawn and acan. The frog lost big time, and I'm sure this isn't the last time they tango. Enjoy!

38887173025_0baea10d7f_b.jpg

38887849655_087a5d36dc_b.jpg

OP
OP
shaggydoo

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe its an acan echinata.

really nice photos!

And thank you very much. I just got the camera on Halloween and have used it a few times. Each time gets better results and I'm glad I had it handy when this happened. The whole ordeal was over in less than a few minutes.

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ok with watching corals do that to each other?the oceans losing corals left and rt and If i see something in my tank trying to zap each other I move them a apart. What if one kills one and they release some stuff into the water colum and crash your tank .. pets and corals are a privalge to have ... If u dont want to take proper care of it .... then maybe u shouldnt have it

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your ok with watching corals do that to each other?the oceans losing corals left and rt and If i see something in my tank trying to zap each other I move them a apart. What if one kills one and they release some stuff into the water colum and crash your tank .. pets and corals are a privalge to have ... If u dont want to take proper care of it .... then maybe u shouldnt have it
That's a bit unnecessary and corals battle eachother when you have a reef tank. Sounds like a post with an agenda for drama. The OP is doing nothing cruel. To the OP, I'd get some distance between the corals. The echinata is a very aggressive coral.

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing cruel ... owning a coral and watching them battle is ok .. and we should just own stuff and place it in the tank .. knowing that these corals have sweepers and attack each other. I place my corals away from each other I research my corals b4 i purchase i dont buy something and set it within stinging distance of another.

OP
OP
shaggydoo

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great shoots, are you using a micro lense?

Yes, I picked up the 105mm Nikor macro lens. It is superb and is actually the same lens I had on a Nikon D200 about 10 years ago. I guess its still one of the better macro lenses. It definitely takes better pics and I just have to keep practicing. Tank pics are definitely the most challenging type of photography I've tried.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I picked up the 105mm Nikor macro lens. It is superb and is actually the same lens I had on a Nikon D200 about 10 years ago. I guess its still one of the better macro lenses. It definitely takes better pics and I just have to keep practicing. Tank pics are definitely the most challenging type of photography I've tried.
I have a canon 70d eos. Currently looking the the 100mm macro lense. I have been playing around with the telephoto lense, but a macro lense would do so much better.

OP
OP
shaggydoo

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a bit unnecessary and corals battle eachother when you have a reef tank. Sounds like a post with an agenda for drama. The OP is doing nothing cruel. To the OP, I'd get some distance between the corals. The echinata is a very aggressive coral.

Very true! This is the first and only sign of a problem so far, but the frogspawn is growing faster than anything I've experienced in my 10+ years in the hobby. Its tripled+ in size in three months and has gone from a 2 headed frag to the largest coral in my tank (well over 10 inches in diameter now and a dozen heads is my best guess... it never shrinks enough to tell for sure). I have already had to relocate a favite which the frog was growing into, and the poor favite was not as able to defend itself like the echinata. Agree 100% that eventually the acan e. will need to be moved. I didn't plan on such intense growth from the frog, but that's why I observe my tank and its inhabitants so closely. I caught this little encounter and it was over in minutes.

OP
OP
shaggydoo

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent shot for sure! The colors are intense. I'm stuck with the camera on the phone for now.

Thank you very much. This frog's coloration and growth is unique in the vibrancy and speed of growth. I've had several repeat visitors who have come to buy frags and see my tank over the last few months I've had the frog, and every person has commented on the size and coloration of the frog now. It is not a unique coloration pattern but is very intense. The strand that got stuck in the acan also tried to shrink immediately and that caused it to brighten up even more.

Made for a unique pic. I'm glad so many like it, and I'm definitely glad I no longer have to rely on my camera phone. I would have never got the right colors and focus with my camera phone :)

OP
OP
shaggydoo

shaggydoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canon 70d eos. Currently looking the the 100mm macro lense. I have been playing around with the telephoto lense, but a macro lense would do so much better.

I recommend the macro lens above all other equipment if you are taking tank pictures. It was the first lens I bought for my D7100 and provides the best coral and fish pictures. Not so great for a FTS though. I picked up a more multi-purpose 35mm lens for that. Now I just need a nice big zoom lens.

Ratsinmyhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you seen 2 dogs battling it out ,you would watch ?
Yes. It’s called a pecking order. Unless mortal harm is possible don’t intervene. Every living thing has a struggle to survive every other living thing every day. Have you driven down a highway lately? Don’t text and drive! And corals in the ocean have been battling each other everyday from the beginning. When you see a tree do you hug it?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.5%
Back