Acan placement - Sandbed or Rockwork

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up 8 acan frags, each is about 3-6 heads in total, so they're fairly small. I'm debating on putting them on the rockwork verses the sandbed. Thoughts? Is there a particular reason I should keep them on the sand, specifically in regard to growth rate? Most are on fairly large frag disks and will probably take awhile to out-grow them.

I have a large acan colony, 40+ heads on the sand the does very well. Although it's almost too big to put anywhere else, so that one is staying put.

nova65ss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion in the sand bed they will usually grow into a ball shape. If you put them on the rock they will usually spread out onto the rock. Really your preference.

Clearwater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well from what I have experienced with acans is the more colorful ones retain there colors better in lower light levels. Now doesn't mean that they have to go on the rocks or on the sand bed. I think they would be much happier on the sand bed than on the rock work. Try spot feeding them also. They will get good growth that way.

Wesley42079

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends. Are you looking to frag them one day or just let them grow out?

If you are looking to frag them, then keep them on the sand bed. It will make it easier for you to take them out of the tank. If you place them on your rocks, then, ggod luck taking that piece of rock out.

OP
OP
-Logzor

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I moved tanks I popped my scan colony right off the rock, wasn't too hard. I'm just wondering if substrate has a factor in growth.

logansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like mine on the rock work so the can cover it. I think they grow better but that just my thoughts on it. But i dont have plans on fragging mine in my DT they are just there to grow

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just my limited opinion/observation,
I felt as if my acans grew faster on the sand bed as the colony had an easier time gripping the bits of sand with new growth outwards. They all also grew into a ball shape with the center of the ball being substrate.

Overall tho I really think acan growth rate is determined by feeding and not placement. They eat like pigs and can grow accordingly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back