Acans and GSP not opening up

Scaggs1117

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 25, 2023
Messages
193
Reaction score
39
Location
Queens
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up guys, so I had a bad algae bloom in the past that killed off a lot of coral, tank had been good. Just a lot of the red cyanobacteria on the sand and rock work that I have to blow off every couple of days . Par near the Acans is about 85-90. My Acans and GSP have not been open in a couple of weeks, they still have the color but no signs of gsp or blossoming Acans… I know some of my parameters are skewed but basically I’m asking which ones need to be fixed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Parameters :
Nitrate - 1.5ppm
Phosphate - .13ppm
Alkalinity - 15.4 dKH
Magnesium - 1315ppm
Calcium - 482ppm
pH - 7.08

IMG_0987.jpeg
 
What’s up guys, so I had a bad algae bloom in the past that killed off a lot of coral, tank had been good. Just a lot of the red cyanobacteria on the sand and rock work that I have to blow off every couple of days . Par near the Acans is about 85-90. My Acans and GSP have not been open in a couple of weeks, they still have the color but no signs of gsp or blossoming Acans… I know some of my parameters are skewed but basically I’m asking which ones need to be fixed. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Parameters :
Nitrate - 1.5ppm
Phosphate - .13ppm
Alkalinity - 15.4 dKH
Magnesium - 1315ppm
Calcium - 482ppm
pH - 7.08

IMG_0987.jpeg
Salinity is 1.025 and temp is 78
 
Alkalinity is extremely high. Could it be test error? Alkalinity should be maintained between 7-10 for anyone who is not an expert.

Your nitrates are also on the low side.

Your pH is very low. pH should be between 7.8-8.3.
 
Alkalinity is extremely high. Could it be test error? Alkalinity should be maintained between 7-10 for anyone who is not an expert.

Your nitrates are also on the low side.

Your pH is very low. pH should be between 7.8-8.3.
Not a testing error just did it again, on the Hanna checker..nitrates I could dose and ph I could dose with marine grade sodium bicarbonate but how do I lower alk?
 
Not a testing error just did it again, on the Hanna checker..nitrates I could dose and ph I could dose with marine grade sodium bicarbonate but how do I lower alk
Please don’t try to raise pH with sodium bicarbonate. Your alkalinity will also go up making the problem worse.

In my opinion you need a very large water change. What does your salt mix typically mix to?

I would do a 50% water change with a low alkalinity salt mix. It would probably get you to around 10 dkh or so and also stabilize pH and then you can dose nitrate.
 
Please don’t try to raise pH with sodium bicarbonate. Your alkalinity will also go up making the problem worse.

In my opinion you need a very large water change. What does your salt mix typically mix to?

I would do a 50% water change with a low alkalinity salt mix. It would probably get you to around 10 dkh or so and also stabilize pH and then you can dose nitrate.
Ahh okk that would make a lot of sense
 
How is the flow in the tank? Cyano loves low flow area's.
Flow is pretty good, it’s a 29gal long with a gyre 2k on the right side, I have it on random with a max ramp up of 70% ..I was thinking about putting a another angled powerhead on the other side to hit the inside of the rock work on the right
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0988.jpeg
    IMG_0988.jpeg
    175.9 KB · Views: 63
These corals about a month or two, yes they were in the beginning
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new