Acanthophyllia help

CrazyCatMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acanthophyllia that has baffled me since day one as it is quite different than the other two I have although they were purchased in an already healthy state. I was hoping someone with in depth knowledge about these corals could provide some information as the local fish stores arent very helpful unless it involves selling something.

I purchased the coral roughly 12 months ago in pretty poor shape. The skeleton was roughly 2" in diameter, 3" tall, looked like a chic fil-a waffle fry and there was only ~ 3/8" of tissue around the top of the skeleton apart from the mouth area. Over time the coral has regained its health and has grown tremendously which is what has brought me here. Although its somewhat recent I have attached a pic that should give a good idea of what the skeleton is like. When retracted I can clearly see what looks to be like a white tissue in the center [rough idea of how open the holes are]. Overall the condition of the skeleton isnt my concern, but I am curious as to why it is like that.

Along with growing and becoming healthy the tissue/poly/whatever it would be referred to as is now touching the sandbed (attached pic).

This is where the confusion begins.

1. I have started to wonder if I should make an area of deep sand to put the coral in so the polyp can lay out and expand on the sandbed as the other acanthophyllias I have do rather than flapping in the wind.

2. Given the holes in the skeleton would the above even be feasible? It seems to me that the sand would simply fill the voids in the skeleton and irritate the part of the coral that is inside the center.

3. One other odd thing I noticed is that starting with day 1 of bringing the coral home it had a ferocious appetite and would put out its feeding tenacles at the first sign of any food in the tank. Along with being able to eat MUCH faster than the others. Over the last couple of months I have noticed that its appetite has slowed and it no longer has any feeding tentacles. I attached two pics of this, as you can see it is taking in a piece of krill but has no tentacles. I can simply lay food near is mouth and it takes it right in no problem. This seemed pretty weird.

Thank You

IMG_1189.JPG IMG_1065.JPG IMG_1003.JPG IMG_1004.JPG

fishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine started retracting its feeding tentacles lately so I stayed up late one night and found that my peppermint shrimp were harassing it and feeding on the tentacles. I started covering it at night and I am hoping the tentacles regenerate. I can see the skeleton you pointed out and I know mine was active and happy and would stretch out. The change was abrupt enough for me to suspect an issue. I cover it now and direct feed it reefroids, brine shrimp and small pieces of mysis shrimp. I made a wedge in the sand so that it sits flat when it stretches out and I pointed the powerheads away from it. They do not like high flow areas.

fishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, but it is well written with legit questions. this must mean i have an indophyllia as well- so I did learn something after all
BD344836-BBD6-4E79-8095-226C7F8AA2F6.jpeg

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but can you bury the skeleton of an acanthophyllia? I got one recently and it was a really tall skeleton.

Attachments

• P_20220830_191839.jpg
    P_20220830_191839.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 27

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but can you bury the skeleton of an acanthophyllia? I got one recently and it was a really tall skeleton.
yes, the "dead" stem can reside under the substrate.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back