Acro - Basing out off the skeleton ?

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if anyone has come across this before.
Initially the coral in question was all fully covered then it stripped a little.
It then started to grow back but now it’s not wrapping the old skeleton, it’s plating outwards like a monti does.. (note the base of the coral is more prominent by 1cm..)
I have a tort which is also doing this, so I’m wondering if it’s something they are trying to tellme?

I love to know your experiences or if you know what’s happening to it..?

(yes it’s in poor condition, but it’s growing and I need to help it if I can

thanks people..
B4F0A7A8-5F84-40BA-89BF-A15588D586CF.jpeg
82E33F76-7DD0-4333-9D55-18A563ECAEA6.jpeg
9C4DE132-EA73-484B-B790-06D1E58FC85F.jpeg
)

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Acros look like IME when they "re-grow". They don't really grow skin back on to the old skeleton. They lay down new skeleton over the old skeleton as though they are encrusting a base again.

OP
OP
Heisenberg 78

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 frags of the same colony which I put in separate locations, I placed them separately so I could optimise it’s chance to recover.

One is high up but offset from the light, the other in full light but slightly lower down and both acros are doing the same thing.
I also see this on a tort that I have but on a much smaller scale..it has like a fish scale effect off its coralites whereby the new tissue is departing the skeleton Similar to a pine cone..

It’s weird to see: any frags that I place normally encrust to whatever they are touching; in my case they are leaving the skeleton behind.

brahm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty normal, they typically don't grow "down" they'll encrust out, if there is a gradual slope they'll encrust a long it, but I've never seen an acro grow straight down.

Eventually, the bottom will connect back up and you won't notice.

OP
OP
Heisenberg 78

Heisenberg 78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maybe I need to frag this so the new growth is keying onto a solid surface, at some point the floating section of that base is going to produce new stems and will need a solid surface to avoid it breaking off.

I just havent seen an acro before that plates out looking for a fresh surface to key down to.

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the strangest things I’ve seen in this sub forum. Could have something to do with that giant aiptasia stinging it. Trying to maximize light surface and not get killed by that water herpes sore

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with Charlie’s Frags, Looks to be the aip is stinging it, not allowing it to "base out". While it is "basing out" the aip is preventing it from touching the rock.

I've seen the same type of "basing out" in thin air where my green slimer was getting beaten up by my duncan.

Also IMHO they can lay down new "skin" over old skeleton that has died off, but only if the old skeleton isn't covered in algae. If it is covered in algae, it will grow new skeleton over the top of the old, instead of using the old skeleton. I have several frags that my turban snails kicked off the frag rack, I didn't notice them for a couple days and the tissue died on the part that was touching the sand. I picked them up, and a few weeks later the old white skeleton is colored up just like the rest of the coral. Of course growth takes a hit at this point, but having a whole colored up stick is better then a large one sided colored up stick. lol[/USER][/USER]

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back