Acro that got stung by xenia

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an acro that got stung my some xenia a few weeks ago. Will it recover or will it take a long time. All my other sps and are happy and growing getting .2dkh a day in my 29g. Dosing 5ml of all for reef a day. This was my first acro i got for 5 dollars. What should i do for it to recover?
2C9F1F29-D974-498B-8E8C-DCB428E3E8CA.jpeg
D6CB2833-C912-436E-BCDB-28976A0B813C.jpeg

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those wondering my params are 8.2 dkh, 440 calc 1350 mag sal 1.026, phos .09 nitrate 3ppm and ph hovers around 8.3-8.5

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t blame the xenia as they don’t contain nematocysts (stinging cells). They also don’t release chemicals in the water that I’m aware of. It probably grew over it, irritated and shaded it.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t blame the xenia as they don’t contain nematocysts (stinging cells). They also don’t release chemicals in the water that I’m aware of. It probably grew over it, irritated and shaded it.
I thought they had toxins like other soft corals do, im slowly removing it nevertheless, but it should be able to recover right?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they had toxins like other soft corals do, im slowly removing it nevertheless, but it should be able to recover right?
They may contain toxins but not sure I would point my finger at that. The tissue looks healthy. But the frag disk looks pretty new. Is it newly added to your system?

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may contain toxins but not sure I would point my finger at that. The tissue looks healthy. But the frag disk looks pretty new. Is it newly added to your system?
No i had it for a few months, the plug just never got covered in algae, it has some coralline growing on the other side, it was beginning to encrust and then receded a bit. I think its a purple bonsaii.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently xenia do contain toxins that can harm nearby corals. I’d definitely isolate either one. Pull the acro and scrape the xenia off. But to be honest, I’ve seen xenia hugging around many types of corals with no problem.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apparently xenia do contain toxins that can harm nearby corals. I’d definitely isolate either one. Pull the acro and scrape the xenia off. But to be honest, I’ve seen xenia hugging around many types of corals with no problem.
Ya the xenia is no longer touching the acro, i am slowly removing it. I have recently fixed my params so hopefully it does well, thanks!

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the xenia is no longer touching the acro, i am slowly removing it. I have recently fixed my params so hopefully it does well, thanks!
I struggled with xenia for the longest time. New colonies every week. They were covering acros, LPS and everything. Surprisingly it didn’t kill anything. But took me weeks of cleaning it out. Finally had to restart.

OP
OP
Fishko

Fishko

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya mine grows too fast, an xacto knife is working pretty to cut the fine xenia stalks hidden in the rocks, and then cover in aptasia x

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back