Adding new stock to existing reef

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm ready to start adding new fish to by 120G reef but may have some constraints given my existing fish.

Current fish
- juvenile purple tang
- 3 yr old maroon clown
- 6 month old mystery wrasse
- diamond goby

When I started this new tank my goal was to have a single tang along with multiple wrasse. I do have an acrylic cover from ClearView Lids to protect jumpers.

I'm afraid now that my mystery wrasse may be a limiting factor in adding more wrasse. I guess my LFS talked me into getting the mystery wrasse before I read @evolved guidelines on how mean mystery wrasses can be to other new wrasse. I do like my mystery wrasse now that it has matured in color so don't really want to rehome it at this point unless necessary.

So my question is what other reef safe wrasses could I add? I'd like to get some unique fairy or flashers.

I've also wanted to get a borbonias anthas but due to my schedule I can only feed in the evenings after work. From everything I've read antias need at least 3 feedings per day.

And finally would adding a gem tang not work out well with my existing juvenile purple tang? Should I be happy with just a single tang in a 120? If so then would a female Bellus angelfish be a good tankmate.

Thanks in advance for you thoughts.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had good luck with keeping an Achilles and a Powder Blue (at separate times) with my Purple tang with no aggression, but a Gem is from the same tang family as an Purple tang.

No clue on wrasses???

Hope others will chime in.

OP
OP
L

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for you input. A yellow tang which I was also considering is in the same tang family so i guess i should not press my luck with a 2nd tang.

Does anyone else have some thoughts on other unique or colorful wrasse that would be good tank mates to my mystery wrasse?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back