Adding T5s to Radion.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been wanting to supplement my 2 radions Gen4 for sometime but was not sure if I need too and had no way to conceal them (until now - canopy under construction). I have decided to add 2 X T5 36" bulbs on both sides of the radions to give some extra light shining across the reef. The radions will remain in present orientation so this leaves me with enough room for 1 T5 and good reflector on each side.

If anyone can help with below questions I'd appreciate it.

1. Any recommendation for 2X 36" retro fit for my application (around $150 with bulbs)? Don't need anything fancy just safe with good reflectors.

2. What would be a 2 good bulbs to supplement radions (SPS AB+ with whites at 34%)? I like Blue but not too blue. I consider 12-15K ideal for my taste and would like something thats half white and half blue, if that makes sense.

Any suggestion appreciated...Thanks in advance:)

1029172117a.jpg

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 3 Radion Gen 3's over my 180 show tank. I added a two bulb Aruba Sun V T5HO - Hamilton 48" t-5 retro from BRS almost a year ago. The light filled in some of the shading from the Radions.... and it was a pretty easy install into my canopy...and I added it to my Apex.

I would love to upgrade my Radions to G4's....but the cost is prohibitive at this point. I may add another two more bulb retro.

As for color combo....I am doing ATI Blue+ and Coral+. The color isn't bad...

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running 3 Radion Gen 3's over my 180 show tank. I added a two bulb Aruba Sun V T5HO - Hamilton 48" t-5 retro from BRS almost a year ago. The light filled in some of the shading from the Radions.... and it was a pretty easy install into my canopy...and I added it to my Apex.

I would love to upgrade my Radions to G4's....but the cost is prohibitive at this point. I may add another two more bulb retro.

As for color combo....I am doing ATI Blue+ and Coral+. The color isn't bad...

Thanks for your suggestion. I was looking into ATI Blue+ since its look like a nice blue and gives of good PAR.. The spread on the Gen 4 is outstanding as can be seen from below picture. PAR measurements where equal to that of BRS radionGen investigates. However, I am learning that not all par is created equally. Having more direct 200PAR is better than having 200 PAR caused by shadowing when coming from higher light source. Which is why I' want to hit the corals from an angle with the T5s.

20170529_170107.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You know If these came on the market when I setup my tank it would have saved me $100 on ecotech hanging hardware. So could have gotten this for around $160 with those savings. Now Id have to redue my hanging and since now I have a canopy I don't see the need for a fancy hanging fixture. I also like retro fits ability to angle the reflectors where I want them to shine and the ability to replace bulbs seems more easier to do. But 7 months ago I think I would have definately gone with these!

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a crappy phone picture of my setup. My tank is about three years old. It has had its ups and downs. Thankfully things have been stable for the last 8 months.

603c47458fd038bb24ac6ecb2ec2fa77.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a crappy phone picture of my setup. My tank is about three years old. It has had its ups and downs. Thankfully things have been stable for the last 8 months.

Nice - What kind of bulbs do you use and how long do you keep you T5s on? I was thinking just have them come on 1 hours after reaching max and 1 hour before dropping

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My radions are running at 11.5 hours on the AB+ SPS schedule, max total intensity is 75%. I then am running the T5's for about 7 hours. They come on about an hour after the ramp up in the morning and off a couple hours before ramp down of the radions. The T5's are one 48" ATI Blue+ and one Coral+.

sunnyc90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you figure it out? Which bulbs did you end up going with?

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you figure it out? Which bulbs did you end up going with?

not yet - I ordered 1 bulb of Giesman aquablue from amazon just so I can get it in 2 days on prime just so i can rule out the bulbs before rewiring. However, it arrived broken so will stick with ATI blue plus. I plan on rewiring today so hopefully it works!

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm waiting on the AL Hybrid fixture to be re-stocked, I've already paid for the 36" fixture and I'll pair it with my Radions. I purchased 4 ATI Blue+ for it. I'm getting a bit impatient!

sunnyc90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have 2 Ati Blue + and 2 Coral +. I think when it comes time to get replacement bulbs I'll go for all Blue's. The Coral + tends to wast out the pop the Blue+ adds.

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently have 2 Ati Blue + and 2 Coral +. I think when it comes time to get replacement bulbs I'll go for all Blue's. The Coral + tends to wast out the pop the Blue+ adds.
I have zero experience when it comes to t5 bulbs. All I can do is ask my lfs guy, and they run led/t5 combos over all their tanks. He just said "just go for the blue +, and don't waste your time with actinic." Eye eye. I guess I'll see when I see.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have zero experience when it comes to t5 bulbs. All I can do is ask my lfs guy, and they run led/t5 combos over all their tanks. He just said "just go for the blue +, and don't waste your time with actinic." Eye eye. I guess I'll see when I see.

This is my first time adding T5 and I was told the same thing - keep it simple blue + gives good enough par. Also, first time doing DIY retro kit -
Video by FishofHex was so helpful and whoever is considering adding T5 watch this first and you'll see just how easy it can be!

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK now I am getting impatient

I pretty much rewired everything and now when I plug in its not doing anything. I followed the instructions completely aswell as watched the youtube demonstration. My only guess is both bulbs are broken or I have a defective product. All the electrical fittings where snug and completely in the connection.

I may just go buy some cheap t5 bulbs from homedepot so I can rule out the bulbs. Any suggestion or see anything off?

1204170217.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 89 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 55 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.8%
Back