Adjusting Skimmer Height in Sump...

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My skimmer has been overflowing/going crazy for over a month at the recommended height of 9.58in. Playing around with it I've found that if I raise it to around 5-6in water height it will operate with the bubbles right where they should be.

Initially I thought I might build some legs with 1.5" PVC pipe, but I'm anticipating having to gradually lower the skimmer as it balances out. So rather than having to continually cut down the legs, I thought maybe there's a better way to adust the height as I need to.

I thought maybe the old eggcrate trick, but I'll have to stack 10 some odd pieces on top of each other to make that work...

Thanks for any insight,
J

wesman42

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My skimmer has been overflowing/going crazy for over a month at the recommended height of 9.58in. Playing around with it I've found that if I raise it to around 5-6in water height it will operate with the bubbles right where they should be.

Initially I thought I might build some legs with 1.5" PVC pipe, but I'm anticipating having to gradually lower the skimmer as it balances out. So rather than having to continually cut down the legs, I thought maybe there's a better way to adust the height as I need to.

I thought maybe the old eggcrate trick, but I'll have to stack 10 some odd pieces on top of each other to make that work...

Thanks for any insight,
J

I raised mine up with eggcrate and zipties to PVC that I had drilled. I cut the pvc down to an even level, then gradually reduced it until I was around ~6 in of water. Recommended for mine is 10 in, but it functions much better in 6.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the lid off of mine and shoved it underneath. Perfect fit! After the skimmer broke in, I removed it. Just food fo thought.... I’ve never run a skimmer in nine inches of water. Mine works will in about 7.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the lid off of mine and shoved it underneath. Perfect fit! After the skimmer broke in, I removed it. Just food fo thought.... I’ve never run a skimmer in nine inches of water. Mine works will in about 7.

I've seen so many people say that, which is so frustrating, for a first time reefer like myself, since the manufacturer's recommendation varies so much. The lid isn't enough of a lift for me unfortunately.

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Egg crate and zip ties are a great solution. I am currently using a marine pure brick which has worked well and serves an additional purpose for more bacteria surface area.

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen so many people say that, which is so frustrating, for a first time reefer like myself, since the manufacturer's recommendation varies so much. The lid isn't enough of a lift for me unfortunately.
If the skimmer is new, raise it until it breaks in. Or just lower the level in your sump. I find skimmers the most frustrating piece of equipment out there. When I cleaned mine last time, I discovered that the bubble plate was in the wrong position. When I adjusted it, no more bubbles out the bottom. First time in a year I haven’t had to sit on the floor and adjust it until I found a sweet spot where it skimmed but sent no bubbles. Gah-lee!

Burrito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used marinepure which works but every movement seems to shred more of the marinepure apart, currently using an intank media basket on its side filled with marinepure spheres, luckly it works for my skimmer height

RumMnky

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a frame from PVC and zip tied egg crate to it. I used the plastic risers for sprinkler heads for the legs. they are cheap <$1, and you cut and can change to different heights legs easily. I have 2 media plates under this.
IMG_5207.JPG

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built a frame from PVC and zip tied egg crate to it. I used the plastic risers for sprinkler heads for the legs. they are cheap <$1, and you cut and can change to different heights legs easily. I have 2 media plates under this.

Ooooh that’s interesting!

Cthehentz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble Magus Curve A8
My A8 worked great until I upgraded the sump, it went crazy and after a few weeks of letting it overflow I caved and bought simplicity 240dc that allowed me to slow the pump down and adjust airflow until the system chilled out. I ended up selling the A8.

OP
OP
Lylelovett

Lylelovett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My A8 worked great until I upgraded the sump, it went crazy and after a few weeks of letting it overflow I caved and bought simplicity 240dc that allowed me to slow the pump down and adjust airflow until the system chilled out. I ended up selling the A8.

I'm going to try some of these suggestions and see if I can make it work in shallower water. If I can't I'll be selling and trying something else.

Dal-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_5207.JPG

Great idea. Did you drill holes in PVC pipe to allow water flow?

Back