Advice On Purchasing Rock

NathanNarr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any ideas on who has the best prices on live and dried live rock in the area?

Any that can beat the prices on eBay or other online retailers?

I am just starting a 60 gallon tank and I'm looking for 80 - 100 lbs. I am thinking of doing mostly dried rock with some "starter" live rock and live sand. Any advice or tips on this method?

NickNiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ReefCleaners.org for dry rock... Free shipping too!

EDIT: Just to add more info, their 50 lb box works out to roughly $1.80 per lb. and the Rock is very porous. I've used it on an old 70 gallon reef as well as the 12 gallon nano I currently have set up!

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Locally I am not sure. I know my buddy bought dry rock from Wet Pets a couple months ago, but it was Texas honey hole rock (can be used, but is very dense without many pores for bacteria to colonize) it is now sitting in his back yard. The last time that I was at Odd Ball Pets they had some dry rock, granted that was a long time ago. I don't re-call seeing dry rock at Elmers or Aqua World just live rock. I think Aqua World just has the "Real Reef Rock" which while dyed purple/pink/red and pretty has very little pore structure and in my opinion is garbage as far as bio-filtration goes. I know that we don't sell dry rock at The Reef Gallery, just Pukani live rock.

Where ever you get the rock from I would highly suggest getting something like Pukani with the tiny porous structure like Pukani has. The man made stuff has bigger holes in it, but lacks the micro pores that the true live rock has. It is those tiny pores that allow surface area for bacteria to colonize and the bacteria deep down in the rock is what reduces the nitrate in your tank.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply sells dry rock anywhere from 2.99-5.99 a lb. Free shipping as well.

Back